ED 18-180 mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevar

Apr 5, 2006
Dear Friends,can anyone pls provide some expertise advise on this new lens ED 18-150mm, I am using a E 300 with 40-150mm and a 14-45mm lens,can this telephoto lens replace this two kit lens,any of the members tried out the new lens,thanks in advance.

I'm not expert but i know 18-180mm is 62 degree view; if you think this is wide enough then the answer is "Go Go Go"... 14-45mm is 75deg but not easy to sell leh...let me know if you got lobang !!! ok

The 18-180mm can replace the both kit lens, just that you lose some speed since it is an all-in-one zoom. :)
Look around @ depreview forums, i seen some pretty good pictures taken with it.

BTW: i am on a lookout to buy the 40-150mm lens, so if you are selling, do drop me a message. ;)

I am asking the same question, would the quality of the photo taken by the 18-180mm differ from one by the 40-150mm?

how much is the 40-150? I may sell it(which I have yet to even get, lol)

Retail price is about $400 for the Lens if bought seperately.
Quality wise, i believe it would be similar, but the 40-150 would edge out by a tiny bit in terms of F stops and slightly faster focusing. It is all expected as the 18-180 is an all in one zoom lens.

I have not tried out the 18-180mm lens yet but have checked out the images posted by users at DPReview.

If you really wanna nitpick the image quality, at the FOV that they overlaps, the 18-180mm cannot compared with the combination of the 14-45mm+40-150mm lenses in terms of sharpness and contrast. That is what you have to expect for an all-purpose zoom lens that covers a large FOV. The image quality from the optics is what I will call good enough for most intents and purposes. The same argument applies to zoom lenses from other makes/mounts such as the Nikon 18-200mm VR, in which people have complained about the lack of sharpness compared with their other cheaper and less zoom lenses but many people find it a great lens to use when going for a tour.

Thus, for travel purposes, the 18-180mm is certainly very versatile and makes your package much more lightweight compared with the 2 kit lens package. Convenience, size and weight are key points that may sway your purchase decision here.

You really have to consider the speed you can change between your two lenses as a measure against how much sharpness in a picture you're willing to lose. That's the only fair comparison between a 14-45+40-150 and a 18-180 setup.

Do note that the dof lost can be compensated with a longer zoom range, at the sacrifice of speed.

Is convenience more important than picture quality for you?

Hi. See review below.

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=429

I was tempted to get the 18-180mm lens too when I was caught with the wrong lens and missed shots. But from reviews, the 18-180 optically not fantastic. Decided to spend my money on the better Oly lens like 11-22mm and the 50-200mm. Perhaps to achieve such coverage, can get one of those 12X optical zoom P&S. For travel, I bring my Sigma 55-200mm in place of Oly 50-200mm (which I find too heavy); but for travel I find 11-22mm range would be more often used than the long end.

Just 2 cents worth. Cheers.

How is the sigma 55-200mm compared to the 40-150mm of the Oly offerings? I am currently on a lookout for a budget(which means 50-200mm is out of my league) zoom ^_^

Raptor1 said:
How is the sigma 55-200mm compared to the 40-150mm of the Oly offerings? I am currently on a lookout for a budget(which means 50-200mm is out of my league) zoom ^_^

If you are talking about the image quality that either lens can afford you, get the Oly 40-150mm, it is better of the two.

Raptor1 said:

There's a comparison of the Oly 40-150, Sigma 55-200 and Oly 50-200 here:
http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/telecomp.html

The Sigma 55-200 is very light weight and better reach (at the long end) than Oly 40-150mm. Overall the Sigma gives good performance per dollar (cost only $290 new), more bang for the buck. Although I have the Oly 50-200, I find it too heavy for travel, so the Sigma comes in handy. As for the Oly 40-150, it is better optically compared to the Sigma (but cost more, around $400). It really depends on what you want to shoot.... if telephoto reach is important then I guess the Sigma will serve you better. But if 150mm is all you need then the Oly 40-150 will probably give you better results.

Cheers.

Hmm....the sigma doesn't lose out too much....really value for money......:thumbsup:

Red-I said:
There's a comparison of the Oly 40-150, Sigma 55-200 and Oly 50-200 here:
http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/telecomp.html

The Sigma 55-200 is very light weight and better reach (at the long end) than Oly 40-150mm. Overall the Sigma gives good performance per dollar (cost only $290 new), more bang for the buck. Although I have the Oly 50-200, I find it too heavy for travel, so the Sigma comes in handy. As for the Oly 40-150, it is better optically compared to the Sigma (but cost more, around $400). It really depends on what you want to shoot.... if telephoto reach is important then I guess the Sigma will serve you better. But if 150mm is all you need then the Oly 40-150 will probably give you better results.

Cheers.
Thanks! great link, a very good comparisons of the lens, now I am wondering is it worth buying the 18-180 mm lens and go for the sigma 55-200 for the extra mile. Anyone using the sigma pls give your comments,thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.