Economical way of protection under water

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbtan

Dec 16, 2005
Serangoon
I plan to have a cave expedition in Malaysia and part of it will have to crawl through a tunnel half submerge in water. Would like to bring my DSLR along but how can I protect it when I will be all soaked. The water is not too deep around 2 feet. No intention to take picture inside the tunnel, just need waterproof protection. Thanks!

hi hbtan,

since you are not taking photos underwater, it will not be considered a vaild topic for underwater photography subforum. hence moving your thread to an appropriate subforum :)

beivied said:
hi hbtan,

since you are not taking photos underwater, it will not be considered a vaild topic for underwater photography subforum. hence moving your thread to an appropriate subforum :)

Thanks for your advice, however this is the 1st time I am using the forum and not sure where is the most appropriate topic to post to. Any suggestion? Thanks!

The cheapest and the safest is to buy a small AMMO case from Sungei Road hardware store, guarantee waterproof, but you need to remove the words of “SAF property” an other wordings.

catchlights said:
The cheapest and the safest is to buy a small AMMO case from Sungei Road hardware store, guarantee waterproof, but you need to remove the words of “SAF property” an other wordings.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will this be better than the Aquapac? I have called up Marintech Marketing and they have quoted me at 55.00 for a waterproof bag for DSLR camera. I am using a Nikon D70.

hbtan said:
Thanks for the suggestion. Will this be better than the Aquapac? I have called up Marintech Marketing and they have quoted me at 55.00 for a waterproof bag for DSLR camera. I am using a Nikon D70.
Hmmmm does it come with any warranties ? I read from a underwater phtographer that brign a camera even a Nikonos underwater is a sure way in long term to have to repair due to water damage. Even the small of sand particle on the sealing ring will allow a passage way for water to come in. Heard that you could in theory use 3 to 5 ply of strong plastic bags. Place camera in inner most use thick rubber band to seal, seal inner most in next poly bag and so on. By strong bags I mean thicker plastic bags not the kind Ntuc or Cold Storage give you for groceries. The ammo box things works - as long as the seal ring is clean and untorn and in good condition - get a tube of silcon grease which the scuba shops may seal use that on the ring seal AFTER you clean it of sand grit dirt whatever. Test at home first - with kitchen wipes inside, dunk or dunk and keep under overnight - check next day if kitchen wipe is wet. cheers. u may need wet ones - hands get grimmy in caves.

Hi ellery, Thanks for your suggestions. In fact, I do thought of using multiple Ziploc bags and do some testing at home. However, if a decent waterproof camera plastic bag that is not too expensive(around 50) I really do not mind paying for it, afterall I have paid close to 2K for the camera. Thanks again.

hbtan said:
Thanks for your advice, however this is the 1st time I am using the forum and not sure where is the most appropriate topic to post to. Any suggestion? Thanks!

i think this should be an appropriate forum. you got quite a few good suggestions already ;)

my own personal opinion is aquapac should serve the purpose, or a dry bag, since you are not taking photos.

Thanks! What a wonderful community. Should discover this forum long ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.