Eclipse on the 22nd of July 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachseth

Jun 8, 2008
Singapore
Hello everyone. As you'd probably know by now, there's going to be a solar eclipse tomorrow evening. According to this website, the eclipse will begin at 8:23pm, and will reach maximum eclipse at 9:38pm. This eclipse will be the second longest eclipse ever since 1955, after which the next such eclipse will be in the year 2132.

I'm sure some of you are anticipating this eclipse, in the hope of capturing some stunning images of this extremely rare natural phenomenon.

I just would like to know whether any of you know any good locations where I can possibly capture this eclipse, or whether we'll get to see it at all since we're so near the equator.

Thanks in advance. ;)

Hello everyone. As you'd probably know by now, there's going to be a solar eclipse tomorrow evening. According to this website, the eclipse will begin at 8:23pm, and will reach maximum eclipse at 9:38pm. This eclipse will be the second longest eclipse ever since 1955, after which the next such eclipse will be in the year 2132.

I'm sure some of you are anticipating this eclipse, in the hope of capturing some stunning images of this extremely rare natural phenomenon.

I just would like to know whether any of you know any good locations where I can possibly capture this eclipse, or whether we'll get to see it at all since we're so near the equator.

Thanks in advance. ;)

it's AM actually... dun miss it!

Thanks for the quick replies.
Ah, my bad, the website also says 09:38, forgot it's in 24 hour format. :bsmilie:

9:38pm of course total eclipse of the sun la.... got sun to see meh? ;)

Thanks in advance. ;)

btw the sun will not be totally eclipsed when viewed from Singapore. That's why there'll be a live telecast from China during the time of the eclipse. The sun will only be blocked by about 15-20% at most.
Popular Class95 deejays Glenn & FD said "it will suddenly go dark", which is a load of b***s**t. A cloudy day will block more of the sun than this eclipse.

sorry to be such a wet blanket.

Thanks in advance. ;)

If you are talking about locations in Singapore, I think you best location is infront of the TV man...

Few months back, SIN got partial eclipse of the sun, yet many people replied.... got meh, is that so, I wasn't aware, I was indoor.

Now everyone woa. But I am also ready to watch Channel U telecast tomorrow. :)

9:38pm of course total eclipse of the sun la.... got sun to see meh? ;)
Hahaha win. About being a wet blanket, it's okay.:bsmilie:

If you are talking about locations in Singapore, I think you best location is infront of the TV man...
I'm starting to think so too. Besides, I don't have a solar filter (only CPL), so I doubt I'll be able to capture it safely.

Few months back, SIN got partial eclipse of the sun, yet many people replied.... got meh, is that so, I wasn't aware, I was indoor.

Now everyone woa. But I am also ready to watch Channel U telecast tomorrow. :)
Yeah, I don't remember hearing much about that one. Maybe it's because the duration of the eclipse tomorrow is super long. :dunno:

For tomorrow, Seen from Singapore, only 10 to 20 per cent of the Sun will be obscured.
0830 to 1130
There will 3 more Eclipses coming, up to 2019. in Singapore
2019 will be a major one.

All the time are in greenwich mean time. I haven convert them yet.

sun01qg4vj3.jpg

2010 January 15 Friday, Greenwich: 16h 05m 07.750s
Partial Solar Eclipse
Magnitude=32.895%, Obscuration=20.950%,

sun02qz8xp6.jpg

2016 March 9 Wednesday, Greenwich: 11h 32m 06.872s
Partial Solar Eclipse
Magnitude=88.991%, Obscuration=86.875%,

sun03ra7oj4.jpg

2019 December 26 Thursday, Greenwich: 11h 41m 07.240s
Annular Solar Eclipse
Magnitude=97.078%, Obscuration=94.242%,

Pic of the Eclipse a on Jan on CNY 2009
3228543282_fb9249bc9e.jpg

Last edited:
Don't expect too much -- eclipse magnitude is supposed to be ard 0.1 i.e. only 10% blocked, which translates to perhaps 1/3 - 1/4 stop loss of light (to put it in familiar terms). Most people wouldn't realize it was happening. Like someone else said, even more light loss on a cloudy day.

Don't expect too much -- eclipse magnitude is supposed to be ard 0.1 i.e. only 10% blocked, which translates to perhaps 1/3 - 1/4 stop loss of light (to put it in familiar terms). Most people wouldn't realize it was happening. Like someone else said, even more light loss on a cloudy day.

That means it's relatively safe to view it with your naked eyes?

That means it's relatively safe to view it with your naked eyes?

Heck no! 90% of the sun is still visible, still enough to fry your retina.

Read this for safety info:
http://www.mreclipse.com/Totality2/TotalityCh11.html#Suicide

It starts with
WARNING!
Permanent eye damage can result from looking at the disk of the Sun directly, or through a camera viewfinder, or with binoculars or a telescope even when only a thin crescent of the Sun or Baily's Beads remain. The 1 percent of the Sun's surface still visible is about 10,000 times brighter than the full moon. Staring at the Sun under such circumstances is like using a magnifying glass to focus sunlight onto tinder. The retina is delicate and irreplaceable. There is little or nothing a retinal surgeon will be able to do to help you. Never look at the Sun outside of the total phase of an eclipse unless you have adequate eye protection.

Heck no! 90% of the sun is still visible, still enough to fry your retina.

Read this for safety info:
http://www.mreclipse.com/Totality2/TotalityCh11.html#Suicide

It starts with
WARNING!
Permanent eye damage can result from looking at the disk of the Sun directly, or through a camera viewfinder, or with binoculars or a telescope even when only a thin crescent of the Sun or Baily's Beads remain. The 1 percent of the Sun's surface still visible is about 10,000 times brighter than the full moon. Staring at the Sun under such circumstances is like using a magnifying glass to focus sunlight onto tinder. The retina is delicate and irreplaceable. There is little or nothing a retinal surgeon will be able to do to help you. Never look at the Sun outside of the total phase of an eclipse unless you have adequate eye protection.

Hmm, I was told to use the film from a diskette to mask the end of my lens as it works just like a solar filter. I've done it, and it looks like it'll work. I hope the diskette film will mean that it's safer to view the eclipse through my camera viewfinder, as my camera has no live view function. I'm also thinking of using a CPL filter on top of the DIY solar filter.

Too bad China has cloudy skies. Only 1 out of 4 locations got a view but still not complete clear.

Fortunately some India region got a clear sky to catch this spectacular moments. The most exciting part is the that last faint of light from the edge of the eclipse.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/slideshow/4805560.cms?imw=460

http://news.rediff.com/slide-show/2009/jul/22/slide-show-1-thousands-witness-solar-eclipse.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.