ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumyum

Aug 18, 2005
Singapore
www.yummibear.multiply.com
Have anyone buy anything from ebay outside ebay sg, i mean from anywhere outside singapore , Is it safe to mail the money order across to US or hong kong ???

I have, bought a lens from russia. You just need to be careful. Check the seller's rating before purchasing. Also you might want to start a paypal account.

have bought things from outside singapore, from hk, uk, us... paid with paypal and money orders before. the most important thing is to check out this history of your seller. and be very cautious about deals that seem too good to be true - they often are.

pai : sure for the reminder , thanks a lot..
smtan24 : thank you too for the great advice , but i just sign in and still wondering when the account can be used ... if anyone can help me paying thru paypal, and of cos i will pay back lah

yumyum said:
pai : sure for the reminder , thanks a lot..
smtan24 : thank you too for the great advice , but i just sign in and still wondering when the account can be used ... if anyone can help me paying thru paypal, and of cos i will pay back lah

You can apply for paypal using debit card as your source of funding. Being buying from US eBay using paypal all these time.

Overseas seller will only ship to address stated on your paypal account. It a way to protect themselve against scams.

Hope this helps

I used paypal to transact on Ebay but bought mostly from USA sellers. Very fast and hassle-free. Just be careful and read more reviews/comments about the seller's reputation. I usually get from those power sellers. :)

Bought my Canon lens 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM 3 months ago from Ebay HK $100SGD cheaper but no international warranty. Also trying to aim for 28-105mm L lens which is $1,100 cheaper here.

rayblade said:
Bought my Canon lens 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM 3 months ago from Ebay HK $100SGD cheaper but no international warranty. Also trying to aim for 28-105mm L lens which is $1,100 cheaper here.
yah, i heard that lens from hk is a lot cheaper

Hi,

Be very very careful when buying from Ebay.

The general rule of thumb is, if the deal looks too good to be true, there's a good chance it is not.

I almost got scammed recently. If they ask you to pay by money order and concluded the deal out of ebay, be very careful. The person posted a very good deal for a camera, and asked people to contact him/her via email for identity verification. He/she then tried to conclude the deal via email and ask me to pay by money order. This person appears to be genuine, with very high approval rating and good comments from hundreds of customers. They even fabricated a Squaretrade email and Ebay winning notification email to give the appearance that the deal was genuine. However I checked with Ebay and verified there was no conclusion of this trade onsite and that this was an "out of ebay" transaction, which voids their protection and warranty. Fortunately I pulled out without any loss:)

That is not to say Ebay deals are often bad. I've bought many things there without problems. Try to pay by Paypal or Visa if possible and avoid Western Union. At least even if it was frauduleant, Paypal and Visa have safeguards. And bear in mind that professional scammers are much more adept at faking/tricking the system than we are, so just be very careful. Best of luck!

Try to pay by paypal & avoid those who sent you email that you didn't bid.

yumyum said:
if anyone can help me paying thru paypal, and of cos i will pay back lah

I don't think anyone can help you pay because the Paypal account's ID and password will have to be passed to you in order to do that. :bigeyes:

I've bought several items from ebay before, always using paypal. Money orders are the main way unscruplous sellers cheat you, so I would be really very careful when you see people asking you to pay via money order. Don't be so eager too close the transaction and always keep one eye open and you should be fine... ;)

i gt scam and even when i gt a friend to tell me it might be a scam but i still insisted so in e end lost 1k... so u better send a empty package there first to chk out.. if e money comes then u send e real stuff over if u r using money order via ebay... just sharing my misfortune and tips here.

ahh great topic
i need to ask some of you guys questions about this paypal thingy.
trying to understand how pp works outside of USA

1)
when you open your pp account, did you dictate it was for Singapore?
2)
if yes to point (1), can singapore pp acct be linked to the bank as well as a credit card ?
3)
if no to point (1), can the usa pp acct be linked to a singapore cc or must it only be a usa cc?

4)
for those who replied yes to (1), when you pay a USA merchant eg 100USD, does your pp take out 160SD from your singapore cc? what additional charges are there?
thanks

there's an additional fee charged by paypal..i think 2.5%? around there..
i linked my debit cards to the paypal account. so when u pay it directly debits from ur bank account. fuss free :)

haagen_dazs said:
1)
when you open your pp account, did you dictate it was for Singapore?
2)
if yes to point (1), can singapore pp acct be linked to the bank as well as a credit card ?
3)
if no to point (1), can the usa pp acct be linked to a singapore cc or must it only be a usa cc?

I'll answer these together. If you want to use a Singapore CC and bank account, you have to register it as a Singapore-based account.

4)
for those who replied yes to (1), when you pay a USA merchant eg 100USD, does your pp take out 160SD from your singapore cc? what additional charges are there?
thanks

No. The receiver of the funds pays the surcharge, but only when the funds are drawn from Paypal. Which is why some sellers ask you to pay a surcharge for paying by Paypal, akin to the way some local retailers charge more when you are paying by credit card in-store. You can go to the Paypal website to find out more. All the above info is actually available from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.