ebay purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazyls

Jun 27, 2004
Singapore
Hi, I am tempted to get some stuff from a russian based seller in ebay with very high feedback rating. However, when I saw the "seller's other items", there are very few/no bids for all the items on sales.

I am not sure if the items are generally not in demand, or is there a conscious effort to avoid the particular seller, or perhaps russian seller in general. :dunno: Please advise.

If there doubts dun go ahead. Make sure you use paypal to pay. Never give crebit card information unless it is a trusted company. So far paypal did not give me any problem.:)

hazyls said:
Hi, I am tempted to get some stuff from a russian based seller in ebay with very high feedback rating. However, when I saw the "seller's other items", there are very few/no bids for all the items on sales.

I am not sure if the items are generally not in demand, or is there a conscious effort to avoid the particular seller, or perhaps russian seller in general. :dunno: Please advise.

I dont know about you, but the russian sellers I had dealt with are more honest then the so called "High Class" Westerners ....... at least I got everything as described ......

blurblock said:
I dont know about you, but the russian sellers I had dealt with are more honest then the so called "High Class" Westerners ....... at least I got everything as described ......

Generally, I dun look at nationality.... I look at feedback... and of course price... its easy to get 10-20 good feedbacks... but to get 100s or thousands... they need to be of certain standard... that my opinion

idor said:
Generally, I dun look at nationality.... I look at feedback... and of course price... its easy to get 10-20 good feedbacks... but to get 100s or thousands... they need to be of certain standard... that my opinion

Not really. I had purchased items from a US seller with almost 80k feedbacks but they never
answer to a single of my many email enquiries. End up i have to get my friend in the US to liaise with them. :angry:

:cheers:

hazyls said:

Can you give his seller id. I will see if I know him.:)

The seller did not offer paypal but will accept payment via bidpay. Is bidpay safe? I do not want to expose my credit card info.

hmmm bidpay is western union money transfer lor.... meaning you pay a company, the company will send the money to the seller on your behalf.... I think can use other forms of payment besides CC. safe a not... as safe as other CC handlers like paypal.... etc... :bsmilie:

idor said:
hmmm bidpay is western union money transfer lor.... meaning you pay a company, the company will send the money to the seller on your behalf.... I think can use other forms of payment besides CC. safe a not... as safe as other CC handlers like paypal.... etc... :bsmilie:
Looks like there is some confusion here about Bidpay. Bidpay is owned by Western Union, BUT it sends a Money Order (MO) to the seller after Bidpay charged your CC. If the seller asked for Bidpay, then it is about an MO.

If they want Western Union money transfer, then they should have asked you specifically for that, and this method is NOT safe, as in many countries, they don't check the ID of the receiver.

I think Paypal is not available to Russia. I bought once a lens directly from the Ukraine (not the 45mm lens that was from a Russian in the US), and it came perfectly in a box sealed with wax! The three times I was scammed were by three gringo's........but I still deal with them Gringo's though.......

Hong Sien

hazyls said:
The seller did not offer paypal but will accept payment via bidpay. Is bidpay safe? I do not want to expose my credit card info.
The good thing about using your CC is that you can dispute the payment.....but only if you did NOT receive anything. If you did receive something, but it came in broken or incomplete, there is a smaller chance you can do a reverse payment.....

HS

hazyls said:

Many bidders these days wait till the last moment to do their biding, to prevent bidding wars......

Better to look at the closed auctions from this seller, or look at the recent sold items in his/her feedback. Another good thing is to keep some communication going......ask things about the item.......

HS

kktan said:
Not really. I had purchased items from a US seller with almost 80k feedbacks but they never
answer to a single of my many email enquiries. End up i have to get my friend in the US to liaise with them. :angry:

:cheers:

Many of them don't entertain international bids/questions.
Sad to say, we Singaporeans are usually regarded as in the same class as Spanish, Nigerian or Indonesian scammers.

Hi all,

Thanks for the info. It is useful and guess I will take my chances with ebay and see how.
Perhaps will try something small first befor plunging into bigger items.

Bidpay is very unsafe. If you are a seller and the buyer offer to pay by Bidpay better not take the offer as. Their document can be easily fake. In fact happen to me once, buyer sent me a bidpay invoice saying money on it way. The only funny thing is my web brower kept asking to install chinese language with I view the link to the part where my payment information is. When the buyer are suppose to be in america. Then I knew it is some internet cheat. :(

hi
i use ebay alot.
generally look at their recent feedback.
low bids dont mean that the sellers are bad/not good.
it just probablly means that not many people are out buying such stuff.

if the seller has a solid feedback, it IS safe to go ahead with the sale.
reputation is at stake

remember, ebay is all about REPUTATION
:D

just OT a bit here. i have never used ebay to buy/sell anything before. for overseas purchase, how do you find out and pay for your shipping cost? a seperate payment from your goods payment? how does it work? :dunno:

advance apologies to the thread starter.... :embrass:

If the shipping/handling/insurance cost is not indicated or stated in the ebay ad, you would have to send a query to the seller to quote you for the cost.

Thereafter if you are the winner, just re-confirm the shipping and winning price amount to the seller and send payment to seller together.

singscott said:
Bidpay is very unsafe. If you are a seller and the buyer offer to pay by Bidpay better not take the offer as. Their document can be easily fake. In fact happen to me once, buyer sent me a bidpay invoice saying money on it way. The only funny thing is my web brower kept asking to install chinese language with I view the link to the part where my payment information is. When the buyer are suppose to be in america. Then I knew it is some internet cheat. :(
Please be exact what you are saying: Bidpay IS safe as long as you KNOW how it works........

Bidpay sends you an email message to confirm that a check is underway to you, thereis an inclusion to NOT send the goods BEFORE you receive the ACTUAL MO. Plus, get the MO cashed in at your bank first at your bank. In SG this can take about 30 days (!!) and will costs you SGD 40 or so (cause the MO's are in USD)........this are the main reasons I don't accept Bidpay MO's or other MO's/checks.

What you received was a FAKE email message from 'Bidpay' telling you that you were paid with an MO, but you should still have waited for the MO to arrive. It obviously didn't arrive.......

As long as you know how Bidpay works IT IS SAFE......

Hong Sien

Huggable uses ebay and paypal for payment. Normally the sellers wouldn't entertain you much if they only ship to US/Canada. You can use vpost USA instead. Upon registration, you'll be given a "care of" address at vpost. Get the ebay seller to ship to this address, and vpost can forward the parcel to you in SG. Of course, you'll have to pay shipping twice (US-> US, then US-> SG). You'll need to work out the rough shipping cost.

On the contrary to what others said, I find sellers will low or nil rating seems pretty "eager to please" and offer good, prompt communications too. Sometimes it depends on your luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.