Ebay:mishap.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benign

Jan 30, 2004
Melbourne
gallery127599.fotopic.net
Guys,
You are not going to believe this....it just happened to me.

This item I was eyeing on, closing in last 5 mins.....so I bidded Usd$185. Then to my horror the screen show up Usd$1185 liao...... :bigeyes:

Because of the time constraint in bid retraction, I am now stuck with the item for Usd$256 plus 10% GST.

Any remedy exists for my error? :embrass:

Damned morning....... :mad2:

I think there's a set of guidelines on how to do bid retraction...hmm...

Benign said:
Guys,
You are not going to believe this....it just happened to me.

This item I was eyeing on, closing in last 5 mins.....so I bidded Usd$185. Then to my horror the screen show up Usd$1185 liao...... :bigeyes:

Because of the time constraint in bid retraction, I am now stuck with the item for Usd$256 plus 10% GST.

Any remedy exists for my error? :embrass:

Damned morning....... :mad2:

I think there's a set of guidelines on how to do bid retraction...hmm...

Bid retraction cannot be done when the auction has ended lor. Furthermore, I had to search for the item number to fill the bid retraction form(only got 4 mins or less to find the item number). :dunno:

Just finished sending email with my explanation to the seller liao. Haizz :faint:

Benign said:
Bid retraction cannot be done when the auction has ended lor. Furthermore, I had to search for the item number(only got 4 mins or less to find the item number). :dunno:

Just finished sending email with my explanation to the seller liao. Haizz :faint:

U are lucky it's only 200+, ever stop to think it might raise up to 1K? then really sway! ;)

I got the reply back from the seller who is a manager of well known camera shop mentioned a few times in the threads in CS.
I am so impressed with his reply, so I decided to let you all read and pass judgement. :bsmilie:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the seller
You know I can understand (sort of) if someone changes their mind. It makes a lot of work (and ebay fees!) for us but it is not the end of the world.
But please don't hand me any bullshit stories. Just tell me straight that you changed your mind and I will accept it.

According to the bid history the item was bid to over US$200 nearly four hours before you placed your bid so there is no way you could have been intending to bid $185.

I'll let you off the item this time but I would appreciate more honesty next time.

John Corneille
Manager

Well, I did bid on the final mins of the auction. But to my disappointment it show different time and the last two bidders was four hours apart...Why?

This is the time shown on the actual bidding page:
Ended 02-Jun-05 11:30:00 AEST
Start time: 28-May-05 11:30:00 AEST

And this is the page of the bids history....

Bid Amount Date of bid

XXXXXXX( 27) US $256.00 02-Jun-05 11:25:00 AEST

rasopol ( 323) US $251.00 02-Jun-05 07:33:28 AEST

rasopol ( 323) US $201.00 02-Jun-05 06:43:14 AEST

daniet51 ( 52) US $180.00 02-Jun-05 06:59:49 AEST

daniet51 ( 52) US $170.00 02-Jun-05 06:59:31 AEST

zoz63 ( 21) US $151.00 01-Jun-05 21:58:15 AEST

7525andrew ( 9 ) US $149.00 02-Jun-05 06:22:21 AEST

pbotinas ( 96) US $130.00 01-Jun-05 08:17:04 AEST

gian269 ( 17) US $113.00 31-May-05 08:13:17 AEST

pbotinas ( 96) US $110.00 30-May-05 10:09:23 AEST

taka*sugar ( 855) US $102.00 28-May-05 20:15:13 AEST

albert19440 ( 5 ) US $100.13 28-May-05 12:54:27 AEST

Haizz :mad2:

Why don't you just offer to pay him the ebay fees, think it is just a few percent of the sale price. At least in this way, it will take the burder of the mistake off him and on to you. (since you made the mistake anyway)

Thanks Rueyloon,
I dun mind paying him the few percent, but it seemed he wouldn't accept my explanation at all.
Would you pay a man who accused you for lying? :think:
If I am paying him the Ebay fee, at least he should accept my explanation.

It just sound stupid to pay the person who accused you of lying :(

Benign said:
Thanks Rueyloon,
I dun mind paying him the few percent, but it seemed he wouldn't accept my explanation at all.
Would you pay a man who accused you for lying? :think:
If I am paying him the Ebay fee, at least he should accept my explanation.

It just sound stupid to pay the person who accused you of lying :(

Well, sometimes its good to do the right thing even though you won't get any appreciation. End of the day, what matters most is you can look yourself in the mirror and know that you did the right thing, and that beats someone telling you that you did the right thing (well, to me anyway)

I believe it is an honest mistake, but if you've been ebaying long enough, you'll know that some people won't ship overseas, some even state specifically they won't ship to Singapore.

BUT on the bright side, if you ask nicely, most of them will consider shipping overseas, and I guess this probably depends on their experience on dealing with oversea buyers.

So in a way, this may effect us all, a nice gesture in offering to cover his lost maybe a way to put Singapore on the "nice to deal with" list. We.... you know what I'm getting at :)

cheers and all the best

"According to the bid history the item was bid to over US$200 nearly four hours before you placed your bid so there is no way you could have been intending to bid $185".........this is not correct:

Look at the four last bids:

Bid Amount Date of bid

At the time you wanted to bid, the amount was at around USD 182.50 (or somewhere there) because 'rasopol' overbid 'daniet51'........but amount would NOT have shown USD 201! EVENTHOUGH 'rasopol' second bid was overbidding to USD 251........this is because he was overbidding himself, you need to explain this to him, AND pay him the ebay listing and ending fees definitely, you still made a mistake........

HS

hongsien said:
"According to the bid history the item was bid to over US$200 nearly four hours before you placed your bid so there is no way you could have been intending to bid $185".........this is not correct:

Look at the four last bids:

Bid Amount Date of bid

At the time you wanted to bid, the amount was at around USD 182.50 (or somewhere there) because 'rasopol' overbid 'daniet51'........but amount would NOT have shown USD 201! EVENTHOUGH 'rasopol' second bid was overbidding to USD 251........this is because he was overbidding himself, you need to explain this to him, AND pay him the ebay listing and ending fees definitely, you still made a mistake........

HS

HS' explanation make sense.

When I want to place a last minute bid, my "strategy" is not based on how much the last bidded amount was. What I had to do is to read from the pattern of bidding how much ANYONE is willing to pay for the item.

The last bidded amount may be 200.00, but as HS mentioned, he could have placed 400.00, but only 200.00 is shown. So if you place a max bid of 500,00, the final price maybe something like 425.00 (if 25.00 is the increment)

Guys,
It is now really boiled down to my words against the bid history liao. Let me try my best to explain:

The bid ended 11.30pm my time(Melb)
if my bid was placed four hours before bidding had ended, then it would be around 7pm. At that time, I was on my way to collect a lens.
I din come home till about 10pm. After shower and a cup of kopi. It was about 10.45pm.
Coz the item was in my watched list, I saw the price at the final mins(5) was around Usd$180. So I thought by bidding Usd$185 and try my luck lor. Then I think I did in haste, din check the figure key was instead 1185. Think I either just swiftly entered twice or click twice with the mouse at hand.
Finally, I saw maximum bid appeared on my screen stated Usd$1185 :bigeyes:
What to do, mins before bidding ends......
I try bid retraction, first time doing so some more.....by the time I get to filling item number. Bidding ended liao....item is mine :sweat:

From then onward, I sent emails to the seller and Ebay......

I admitted my mistake and apologised to the seller twice in the emails already. I also fully understand his anguish as a seller too. :confused:
What I dun get is the listing of bid history...dun matched my explanation lor.

p/s: Mind you this is not the first time I encountered discrepancies in bidding. Couple of time in the items I won. For e.g. When I try to increase my maximum bid from $150 to $200, regardless of no one was actually participate in the bidding. But I do get the automatic increase of $5 or less at times without any bidders.

Now the good news is ?

Dear XXXXXXXXX:

We are contacting you about the following item: Nikon X with XXX XXX & fX.X in exc condition (#7xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

The seller, topogon tells us you have mutually agreed not to complete the transaction (e.g. because you returned the item for a refund or because there was a misunderstanding) and has requested a credit for their eBay fees.

Please respond by 14-Jun-2005 so eBay knows whether you have agreed.

Respond to this notice:

Please note: Both you and the seller will still be able to leave feedback for each other regarding this transaction.

Regards,
The eBay Team

You are lucky you dealt with 'topogon', its a good seller, I dealt with him many times..........please respond to that email on your own 'My eBay page' and the seller will get refunded, AND don't forget to 'thank' the seller for being very cooperative by giving a positive feedback! Congrats!

HS

You are lucky you dealt with 'topogon', its a good seller, I dealt with him many times..........please respond to that email on your own 'My eBay page' and the seller will get refunded, AND don't forget to 'thank' the seller for being very cooperative by giving a positive feedback! Congrats!

Already responded first thing when I saw the email :)
Even said sorry in the additional comment and ask how much is the Ebay fee?

Still thinking about the feeback :think:
Coz I din bullshit about what had happened in the history bid......I did ask Ebay about the maximum bid of Usd$1185 lor. Not yet got reply

I think after some analysis of my own, this might have occurred:

As I wrongly typed the figure of Usd$1185 and as usual with the frenzy Ebay bidding at the final (5)mins. the actual bid went up to Usd$250 but my maximum bid was Usd$1185. Thus, I ended up with the bid of Usd$256 lor.
Still the puzzling fact is I did see the bid of Usd$180 in the final mins of the auction ley...... :faint:

You may have been looking at the cached version. And as far as ebay bidding procedures go, you have a second chance to confirm your bid quantity. You probably neglected to confirm that bid price and just confirmed it. You got off easy.

Benign said:
Already responded first thing when I saw the email :)
Even said sorry in the additional comment and ask how much is the Ebay fee?

Still thinking about the feeback :think:
Coz I din bullshit about what had happened in the history bid......I did ask Ebay about the maximum bid of Usd$1185 lor. Not yet got reply

I think after some analysis of my own, this might have occurred:

As I wrongly typed the figure of Usd$1185 and as usual with the frenzy Ebay bidding at the final (5)mins. the actual bid went up to Usd$250 but my maximum bid was Usd$1185. Thus, I ended up with the bid of Usd$256 lor.
Still the puzzling fact is I did see the bid of Usd$180 in the final mins of the auction ley...... :faint:
could you be looking at a cached page of the website? That is the only thing I can think of.

You probably neglected to confirm that bid price and just confirmed it. You got off easy.

Ya, speed kills....typed too fast or click, click, click....and now BANG! Messy stuffs.

Think from now on, I need to login with my Pentium MMX200...... :thumbsup:
Or betta Stop bidding once and for all......see those photographic 'virus' passed me by. :bheart:

You're lucky lad.

Relisting the item will take time and can be frustrating to the seller. Most sellers wouldn't let you off so easily, frankly. There are too much crap going around on ebay these days for anyone to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I always have in mind the max amount that I'm bidding and I don't like to join those bidders that only bid like 3 sec before auction ends. If I think this is the max I will pay, so be it, doesn't matter whether I bid 3 days before auction ends or 3 sec before auction ends.

Take it easy man ;)

Relisting an item doesn't require much work, just a few clicks away..........

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.