Ebay frauds on photography equipment? Share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinken

Jun 9, 2005
Pasir Ris
colourdots.com
Anyone experienced fraud when buying photography equipment on ebay? I don't mean difficult experience, but more like you won the bid, paid the money, but never get the goods. Share?

I bought from ebay.com (US) a video lights from a very estasblish ebay store. Initiately their response caught me by surprise. Upon payment by paypal, they immediately replied, aknowledging this. and had even send this out. Iwas assured that I would received this in a week time. After 2 weeks n still didn't received item , I contacted them, this time they response that its the contractor responsibilty and not theirs. This ding dong for 8 weeks, all the while asking me to wait as they made a mistake, they sent by ship and takes 10 weeks to arrived and so on.

At last after ten weeks, I check and complaint to ebay but this fell largely on deaf ears. Ebay policy clearly states action for non delivery,payment and so on must be lodge within 8 weeks. Becos of this paypal also ignore my complaints. I Hope by sharing this u will go in eyes wide open.Btw this ebay store even 'mock' me and even gave me a neg feedback.

I bought quite alot of items off Ebay. What worry me is not item not delivered...but the item condition is worst than what was stated on Ebay :(
Things like scratches, chips on the lens element.....an excellent body turned out to be well used and worn out....
Nowaday, I dun bid as much as I used to.....:bsmilie:

The reason I asked is because I just lost a bid on a 1DMkII. In the process of bidding, I received offers through the ebay mail system to sell me at 1.8k USD (yes, 1DMkII). After I lost the bid, I got messages with similar offers. Example of one below:
==========================
Canon EOS 1D Mark II digital body
Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM EF Lens
Canon 17-40mm f/4.0L USM EF Lens
Titanium .45x Wide Angle Lens
3 Piece HIGH Resolution Filter Kit
Hitachi 4GB MicroDrive
Canon 580EX Speedlite Flash E-TTL II
USB Compact Flash Card Reader
Heavy Duty Aluminum Hard Case w/Dividers
Deluxe Carrying Case
Deluxe Video & Photo Tripod
Professional 3 Pc. Lens Cleaning Kit

price 2100USD new with all the taxes. Negociable... We have and lower prices if you want

thank you and reply me asap
=======================

I was seriously tempted by the 1.8k USD offer to take the risk. This subsequent offer reinforced my fear for scams. Checked ebay mailbox, received several other messages saying that the buyer for the cam I bidded backed out, and offer to sell me at my last highest bid.

Ebay also sent a message warning me against transactions outside ebay arising from mail messages when they detected my mailbox receiving messages during my bid.

I can't say the offers are confirmed scams until I really got cheated. But I thought sharing this experience won't hurt too much ya?

shinken said:
The reason I asked is because I just lost a bid on a 1DMkII. In the process of bidding, I received offers through the ebay mail system to sell me at 1.8k USD (yes, 1DMkII). After I lost the bid, I got messages with similar offers. Example of one below:
Hitachi 4GB MicroDrive
Deluxe Carrying Case

price 2100USD new with all the taxes. Negociable... We have and lower prices if you want

=======================

I was seriously tempted by the 1.8k USD offer to take the risk. This subsequent offer reinforced my fear for scams. Checked ebay mailbox, received several other messages saying that the buyer for the cam I bidded backed out, and offer to sell me at my last highest bid.

Ebay also sent a message warning me against transactions outside ebay arising from mail messages when they detected my mailbox receiving messages during my bid.

I can't say the offers are confirmed scams until I really got cheated. But I thought sharing this experience won't hurt too much ya?
When it's too good to be true, it generally is. I got lots of these kid of e-mails thru ebay. I generally forward them to e-bay's fraud unit.

shinken said:
Hitachi 4GB MicroDrive
Deluxe Carrying Case

=======================

Hey
First rule of thumb, always transact officially through ebay.
Usually when you are bidding (not just watching the item) but physically bidding, your name will appear as a bidder.
People will then email you a message privatately wanting to sell to you.
Most of the time, it is too true to believe.

now HOWEVER, if the sale closed, the top bidder didnt pay, the seller can STILL make a second offer to you.
For the second offer, it is safe to take because it is going through ebay. (decision is up to you).
bUT REMEMEBER, the auction has to be made to you as a 2nd offer because you have had placed a losing bid before.

cheers

that's a bullshit offer.
just check out the username of the person who sent that email
it won't be the same as the original seller.

btw ebay is fine as long as you're smart.
all my cameras (except the point and shoot ones which aren't much cheaper) I bought off ebay.

Recently i bought this portable hard disk storage on Ebay at a very good price, & from item description & photos. It looks pretty decent...

A56.jpg

A57.jpg

A58.jpg

Seller is ok too. I checked on his feedback etc. Paid up when sent invoice, he sent a receipt beside the Paypal receipt. After a week, i asked him have he sent out item, he replied "I thought i told you it's out of stock, do you want to wait or do you want money back?" I chose the latter as i think his stock is not going to come... I then read someone commented that he doesn't have the items in stock even though the item is up for auction. I guessed that he only ships to those ppl whom closed his auction at a higher price, the lower prices ones can wait, he'll take your money to order his goods first loh... but at least he refunded...

That is why i believed buying from Ebay with Paypal at least is quite safe. Never buy from unsolicited ppl outside of Ebay.

But also like someone mentioned. I believed some of the items are returns which are refurbished items though they never mentioned.

I dont dare to try. My sis tried to buy a adapter for me and it turn out a fraud. Lucky she din pay anything yet. :sweat:

Germinc said:
I dont dare to try. My sis tried to buy a adapter for me and it turn out a fraud. Lucky she din pay anything yet. :sweat:
You walk into SLS, you chances of getting taken to the cleaners is is as big.

Buyers beware. If a deal is too good to be true, it is. Don't be greedy.

E-commerce is the future. If you refused to participate, it's only going to be your lost.

i've bought quite a few things from ebay, lens, teleconverter and sold lens through ebay before too... its quite safe.

I still buy a lot from Ebay US or Spore Yahoo Auction though. At times better deal then wat you can find or wat's not even selling at Sim Lim Square. Just have to becareful.

Status
Not open for further replies.