Ebay fraud

Lolrence

Oct 15, 2006
Just a heads up... I think I should share this recent encounter with everyone..

I won an item recently (non camera related, from the U.S.), and the seller did not respond not ship the item to me. I went to the Ebay protection centre after 1 week, and Ebay has recently refunded me the money. Before the refund (but after opening the case), he messaged me that he has sent the item a few days ago. I asked for his tracking number.

Upon knowing that Ebay has refunded me the money, he sent me a message, saying that now that I have the item (which did not arrive at my door, obviously) and the refunded money, I'll have to return either one, else, he'll get Ebay and Paypal involved. Shortly after, he sent another 2 messages, saying, sorry that he's gotten it wrong (the odds are against him, and I've seen him through and through), and told me to disregard his previous message. (such a dishonest and sneaky fella)

I didn't reply him at all, but I've brought this up to Ebay that he's a dishonest seller, and to check all the messages that we've exchanged. The seller just sent me another message, telling me that I've 24 hours to reply with my decision (wt* is this guy up to, what decision?)

Anyway, story waiting to unfold.... I'm not gonna reply, he can be worried for his actions for all I care.. he's like self-pawning himself. But I'm gonna make sure karma strikes back at him. :sticktong

ebay sides with buyers

don't worry, you will win this one. especially since he couldn't provide a tracking number.

it depends on the item value though, i think. in the uk, under 50 pounds? or 35 pounds (i'm not sure), sellers have to provide PROOF OF POSTAGE only.

above that amount, they HAVE to have tracking number. and signature. no tracking number = even if you get the item, you can screw the seller over by claiming that the item never arrived. of course that is fraud and illegal as well.

ebay scams can work both ways.. and then there is also the "we deal irl even though you listed the item as postage only?" scam. that involves paying you via paypal, and then you give him the item irl, he waltzes off and claims that you never mailed it to him.

ebay sides with buyers

don't worry, you will win this one. especially since he couldn't provide a tracking number.

it depends on the item value though, i think. in the uk, under 50 pounds? or 35 pounds (i'm not sure), sellers have to provide PROOF OF POSTAGE only.

above that amount, they HAVE to have tracking number. and signature. no tracking number = even if you get the item, you can screw the seller over by claiming that the item never arrived. of course that is fraud and illegal as well.

ebay scams can work both ways.. and then there is also the "we deal irl even though you listed the item as postage only?" scam. that involves paying you via paypal, and then you give him the item irl, he waltzes off and claims that you never mailed it to him.

Yup, I know Ebay protects the buyers... My item is above that amount you stated, so there definitely has to be a tracking number. Where did you get that info from? I've not seen it on the help pages.

Anyway, the fun part is reading what he writes to try to save himself from his self-pawnage... :bsmilie:

btw, was the seller's rating high?

98.6%, 320 good feedback, 1 negative feedback. But judging from the feedbacks, he looks like one of those who sells xbox and related products only... the item I won is a media player I can't get here... he probably saw that I'm from overseas, so tried to push his luck.

I've learned not to trust ratings that much....

What's the min rating before a seller gets de-listed?

Yup, I know Ebay protects the buyers... My item is above that amount you stated, so there definitely has to be a tracking number. Where did you get that info from? I've not seen it on the help pages.

Anyway, the fun part is reading what he writes to try to save himself from his self-pawnage... :bsmilie:

i have had to sell some things over here in ebay uk, so i made sure i read up with regards to ebay uk policies.

not sure about other ebays. ;)

http://forums.ebay.co.uk/thread.jspa?threadID=400058950&tstart=0&mod=1110979971222

*For transactions equal to £150.00 GBP or more in value, the seller needs to provide proof of receipt (signed, or otherwise acknowledged, by the buyer) in addition to postage and tracking information. The equivalent transaction amount in non-GBP currencies at which the seller must provide online proof of receipt by the buyer is as follows:

* $250.00 USD

* $325.00 CAD

* €200.00 EUR

* ¥28,000 JPY

* $350.00 AUD

Where can I get further information?
The terms of the Seller Protection Policy form part of the User Agreement.
For more information, simply click on 'User Agreement' located at the bottom of any PayPal webpage.

98.6%, 320 good feedback, 1 negative feedback. But judging from the feedbacks, he looks like one of those who sells xbox and related products only... the item I won is a media player I can't get here... he probably saw that I'm from overseas, so tried to push his luck.

not sure.

if you read up, ebay is basically a huge mess when it comes to awarding decisions, etc. everytime i have to sell something my heart jumps a beat when i get a buyer who has hidden his feedback, for example.

wow, 320 good feedback and still trying to scam? :sweat::sweat:

be sure to slap him with negative feedback.

I always feel Ebay is rather safe and protects the buyer...buy however, I only buy from power seller or close to 100% rating with reasonable high number of high dollar item sold:)

I always feel Ebay is rather safe and protects the buyer...buy however, I only buy from power seller or close to 100% rating with reasonable high number of high dollar item sold:)

when you are at the other end of the scale it is quite scary, i.e. being a seller.

when you are at the other end of the scale it is quite scary, i.e. being a seller.

Yup, the thought of lost in mail or meeting a problematic buyer etc always make me post on BnS instead of Ebay.:bsmilie:

Side track, I have bought stuffs from some sellers who told me that negative feedbacks were given by competitors who posed as buyers...while I gave him the benefit of the doubt, I do think this is possible.

I dunno man. Based on his feedback, it may be a case of misunderstanding. Maybe you could have waited a bit longer. Ebay allows for up to 45 days for opening up a dispute. I have encountered a seller who tried to earn on shipping, hence they would use USPS first-class which does not have a tracking # (I think). Then I have another case where the seller do not respond but the item reaches me after 2 weeks. What is the value of your purchase anyway.

I also once have had a buyer from US with super high expectation on delivery leadtime. Even though I provided tracking number and EMS the package to him. When the package reached him on the forth day, he left a neutral feedback saying that shipping could have been faster!

In any case, I think there are 3 layers of protection in case you need to dispute. 1) Ebay 2) Paypal 3) Credit card linked to Paypal.

Last edited:
I dunno man. Based on his feedback, it may be a case of misunderstanding. Maybe you could have waited a bit longer. What is the value of your purchase anyway.

I once have had a buyer from US with super high expectation on delivery leadtime. Even though I provided tracking number and EMS the package to him. When the package reached him on the forth day, he left a neutral feedback saying that shipping could have been faster!

wow, I shd have killed those guys who took 2-3 weeks to send a package:bsmilie:

moral of the story - sometimes you have to pay a premium to buy something locally.

I dunno man. Based on his feedback, it may be a case of misunderstanding. Maybe you could have waited a bit longer. Ebay allows for up to 45 days for opening up a dispute. I have encountered a seller who tried to earn on shipping, hence they would use USPS first-class which does not have a tracking # (I think). Then I have another case where the seller do not respond but the item reaches me after 2 weeks. What is the value of your purchase anyway.

I also once have had a buyer from US with super high expectation on delivery leadtime. Even though I provided tracking number and EMS the package to him. When the package reached him on the forth day, he left a neutral feedback saying that shipping could have been faster!

In any case, I think there are 3 layers of protection in case you need to dispute. 1) Ebay 2) Paypal 3) Credit card linked to Paypal.

If someone posts an item for sale, don't you think it's weird if he doesn't reply you for more than a week, and only replies when Ebay messages them? His defence was that he wasn't in town... but why put something for sale when he knows that he won't be around to monitor? The most tell-tale sign was that he:
1. Lied about the shipping. Told me he shipped only after Ebay messaged him. Didn't give me a tracking number.
2. Kept changing his stand between being a victim and sending me the wrong message... Cause he changed his stand again. Value of purchase is USD 175 including shipping.

I've heard of how Paypal (they aren't as honest as most people think... google them and you'll know) drag on in some cases... until after 45 days, and you can't dispute after that.

Anyway, I've used the remaining money in my Paypal to purchase something elsewhere... so my money isn't going anywhere...

I've the urge to get his account banned for all the harassment. :rolleyes:

There always some bad egg. But some are more weird.

Two weeks ago I bought a rear and body lens cap x 3 set. The seller was from korea. So I order and paid and he gave me quick reply. Then after few days he didnt msg me if the item was shipped or not. Then suddenly my money was refunded. I kinda not happy and msg him what happen but no reply. So I abandon that hope since I already got back the money. (also I realized Dimage in mass sale has the same item and he lives two blocks away) lol.

The surprise part was, all my ebay bought item arrived and surprise2! even the rear and body lens cap! Its like getting them FOC all the way from korea. lol
I just send feedback to them think that they will notice of this error and ask me to pay them. But they reply "Super A+++ customer, easy to communicate" *faint*

There always some bad egg. But some are more weird.

Two weeks ago I bought a rear and body lens cap x 3 set. The seller was from korea. So I order and paid and he gave me quick reply. Then after few days he didnt msg me if the item was shipped or not. Then suddenly my money was refunded. I kinda not happy and msg him what happen but no reply. So I abandon that hope since I already got back the money. (also I realized Dimage in mass sale has the same item and he lives two blocks away) lol.

The surprise part was, all my ebay bought item arrived and surprise2! even the rear and body lens cap! Its like getting them FOC all the way from korea. lol
I just send feedback to them think that they will notice of this error and ask me to pay them. But they reply "Super A+++ customer, easy to communicate" *faint*
So, did you pay them in the end? I think you should.......

So, did you pay them in the end? I think you should.......

Yup, I did ask again after they feedback me about the payment and they still never replied. Weird right?:confused:

Yup, I did ask again after they feedback me about the payment and they still never replied. Weird right?:confused:
You can just send them the same payment back through Paypal ;) no need to ask them cause you got the item......

Some sellers have too many things to send out and too many payments to track.......

If someone posts an item for sale, don't you think it's weird if he doesn't reply you for more than a week, and only replies when Ebay messages them? His defence was that he wasn't in town... but why put something for sale when he knows that he won't be around to monitor? The most tell-tale sign was that he:
1. Lied about the shipping. Told me he shipped only after Ebay messaged him. Didn't give me a tracking number.
2. Kept changing his stand between being a victim and sending me the wrong message... Cause he changed his stand again. Value of purchase is USD 175 including shipping.

I've heard of how Paypal (they aren't as honest as most people think... google them and you'll know) drag on in some cases... until after 45 days, and you can't dispute after that.

Anyway, I've used the remaining money in my Paypal to purchase something elsewhere... so my money isn't going anywhere...

I've the urge to get his account banned for all the harassment. :rolleyes:

It could be anything. I am not going to jump into any conclusion. I happens to have an occasion when after posting an item to sell, totally forgotten about it due to work. Then suddenly an email arrives from a buyer and he told me he already paid for the item a week ago. Paypal also fails to notify me. So having experienced different situations, I usually give both seller and buyer the benefit of the doubt. Having said that, I sometimes do find buyer/sellers in US to be a PIA, even though they think the rest of the world are the problem. I have sold to Russia and Brazil and the package are held in their customs for more than a month. This is for a US$300 and US$1k+ item respective. The buyers are pretty cool about it after some communications.