Easy to Use PnS Camera for My Mom

Deathegg

Dec 4, 2010
Punggol
Anyone has any recommendations for a easy to use PnS camera for my mom?

She isn't that tech savvy and has been using the simple Nokia phone for years. Tried changing to Sony Ericsson in the past but she couldn't get used to the interface.

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)

Basically any PnS should do the job. All of them have "Auto" function that are very simple to use. Better PnS like Olympus XZ-1, Canon's S95 (S100) and G12, Panasonic's LX-5, are all highly regarded PnS that are simple to use and no fuss at all.

Fujifilm X10

Wow. I think those are pretty high end stuff which might be overkill. It might seem like passing her a i7 laptop to be used as a calculator. :bsmilie:

I was thinking probably a budget of S$300?

Saw Canon ELPH 310 HS and Nikon COOLPIX S6150 which seems attractive enough, plus it comes in different colours.

Are the above considered lightweight PnS?

I think she probably won't want something heavy to travel around with too.

Last edited:
Wow. I think those are pretty high end stuff which might be overkill. It might seem like passing her a i7 laptop to be used as a calculator. :bsmilie:

Saw Canon ELPH 310 HS and Nikon COOLPIX S6150 which seems attractive enough, plus it comes in different colours.

Yes. Those are good enough. You can also check on the Sony's. They have great offering at low price too.

Hi there!
I think the Canon Ixus series is good! I think it'll be around (or even below) your budget. Also come in nice colors!

Canon Ixus 220 HS.

I've looked around, I think I will probably get the IXUS 220 HS or the new 230 HS during the next IT Show in Nov.

I've looked around, I think I will probably get the IXUS 220 HS or the new 230 HS during the next IT Show in Nov.

IT show? No... get it during IT show, but not personally in the IT show... during IT show but in some reputable shops like John, TK, Cathay Photo (can be quite expensive in Cathay though).

The only reason to get it in the IT show (you'll notice it says IT show, not "camera show") is if you enjoy the crowds, the stress, and paying extra $$$ for useless freebies.

It's not a place for bargains.

i just gave my parents the iphone..

Depends on your parents knowledge of IT product and also what kind of functions do they need.

i gave my parents 2 cameras till date.

The first one is an super old pentax model that use normal AA batteries, little functions like auto flash, etc only. They are quite happy with this.

The second one is canon Ixus 400, and they have problem using it, too many functions for them and they dislike the rectangle canon square batteries. Have to spend a few days just to teach them how to charge and use the canon batteries, not counting on how to activate other normal functions. Can see that they are not too cool about it. Haha

Anyone has any recommendations for a easy to use PnS camera for my mom?

She isn't that tech savvy and has been using the simple Nokia phone for years. Tried changing to Sony Ericsson in the past but she couldn't get used to the interface.

Any ideas?

Thanks. :)
You can try Samsung brand. They got basic model which are easy to use.

I have a friend using Samsung pns as well, an ES series camera, good price + compact, just point and shoot.

Actually your mother might not be too particular about special functions or IQ. So what you should do is just head down to an electoric chain store like Courts and Harvey Norman to really test out the cameras yourself and see which interface suits your mum. Of course not asking you to try on the spot but things like interface are best checked through testing.

I think almost all the pns can do a good job and if your mum is not going to use advance functions then no point buying high end stuff that she doesn't use. Also look out for size for convenience of bringing out.

Pentax Q : :)

images

images

Impressions from Steve Huff
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/09/27/the-pentax-q-digital-camera-review-a-pocket-full-of-pixels/

Local user impressions from zoom3 here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/966397-My-Oh-So-Cute-Pentax-Q