Eastern Marsh Harrier (Circus spilonotus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chngpe01

Staff member
Hope my ID is correct, and here it goes.

The Eastern Marsh Harrier (Circus spilonotus) breeds in the grasslands and wetlands of southern Siberia, northern Mongolia, north-east China, Manchuria and Japan.

It migrates for the northern winter to South-east Asia, the Philippines, northern Borneo and Sg Balang in Johor,(where this Juvenile is photographed).

Like all marsh harriers, it favours open, wet environments, and is frequently seen drifting low over ricefields, interspersing long, watchful circling glides with two or three slow, powerful wingbeats. It dives into the rice field or grassland to catch slow moving birds, lizards or rodents.

Here are a few photographed taken last week in Johor.

Comments are most welcome

Cheers

PE

54863502.jpg
54863504.jpg

54863503.jpg

54863505.jpg
54863506.jpg

Great capture of the moment and the environment and a nice writeup to follow. I think that is the trend that nature forum should go for. I do find the colors a bit too saturated and contrast on the high side but perhaps thats just my screen.

These are beautiful shots PE. The effort you put in is truly commendable, including the background info on the birds you often post together with the shots. Your passion is not just in the art of photography but you show keen interest in the birds as well and willingness to share with all here. Thanks again PE. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Darn! Much better than what I got - again!:thumbsup: Thanks, too, for the commentary - this is the sort of information that can only improve a Forum.

Thanks all for reading and glad you like the write up. Actually, this style of posting was initiated by Avatar, one of the moderators here, and I agree that it is the way to go.

Cheers

Hi cargate, these are the only few that are "postable" standard ;p the rest of the pics are bad. I am sure you would also have a few too. :)

Very nice set PE. An added bonus is that the various 'poses' can also be used in the future when trying to ID the bird. :) I like the last one best, where the Harrier is looking at you. A fruitful trip to Sg. Balang it seems.

Sree

Nice series PE! The last one is a good moment.
The birds up north are sure friendly for some photo taking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.