eastern europe tour queries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhybhy

Sep 21, 2008
Singapore
Hi going on a trip to eastern Europe this year during December Christmas period.

Germany • Czech Republic • Poland • Slovakia • Hungary • Austria

just a few main places to travel.

Need some advise,

1) Is it safe to bring ur expensive camera gears there? i heard pple was rob of their cameras before, at least that was in Russia, in this forum.

2) Whats the operating temperature for the DSLR. i heard D700 and D300 can tahan until freezing point zero... I have a D700 and a D80.... D700 scare kena rob, d80 dun know will operate at that temperature...?

3) any1 here have pictures to share for eastern Europe and perhaps share your valuable experience?

4) recommended lens to bring? like 1 uwa or all in one lens or bring primes?

We have an extensive "Travel" section in the forum already. Please look there for pointers.

As for your temperature question, please do a search. Discussed to death every year when it starts getting cold.

Get the Lonely Planet travel guide for Europe, covering these countries. Should give you plenty of information about country, people, climate, Dos and Don'ts etc. From there do your research in this forum, all questions are discussed frequently.
We cannot recommend you any lens because we don't know what you are looking for and what is your shooting style. There are lenses labeled "travel lenses" - covering decent wide angle to moderate telephoto. Other people prefer primes only ..

((((((Rashkae
Re: eastern europe tour queries.
We have an extensive "Travel" section in the forum already. Please look there for pointers.

As for your temperature question, please do a search. Discussed to death every year when it starts getting cold.

Hi Rashkae thanks for the information will do just that!!!))))))

[[[[Octarine
Get the Lonely Planet travel guide for Europe, covering these countries. Should give you plenty of information about country, people, climate, Dos and Don'ts etc. From there do your research in this forum, all questions are discussed frequently.
We cannot recommend you any lens because we don't know what you are looking for and what is your shooting style. There are lenses labeled "travel lenses" - covering decent wide angle to moderate telephoto. Other people prefer primes only ..

Hi thanks Octarine. will be a family trip, so i think should be portraiture and landscape photography.

should be bringing a tokina 12-24 F4 , 50mm prime and a general purpose 17-55/18-55vr.]]]

{{{memorylane
i heard pple was rob of their cameras before, at least that was in Russia, in this forum.QUOTE]

robbed in this forum? scary

hi memorylane ... yah some stories like that. a bro'dad or relative got rob in moscow of his 17-55 f2.8 and camera...}}}

Funny way of quoting ;)

Hi going on a trip to eastern Europe this year during December Christmas period.

Need some advise,

1) Is it safe to bring ur expensive camera gears there? i heard pple was rob of their cameras before, at least that was in Russia, in this forum.

2) Whats the operating temperature for the DSLR. i heard D700 and D300 can tahan until freezing point zero... I have a D700 and a D80.... D700 scare kena rob, d80 dun know will operate at that temperature...?

3) any1 here have pictures to share for eastern Europe and perhaps share your valuable experience?

Germany and Austria should be fine, the rest of places I have no idea. My feeling will be try to keep 'low profile', always keep camera when not use it, don't just sling on your neck

Have you tried travel with your camera and lenses? If you have tried, you should know how heavy you can tahan. It all depends on individual interest. Also, what type of photos you like to take.

My advice is, bring an UWA, a tele, no flash, no prime. But some CSer may start to suggest: prime is good for low light. So again I emphasize, it is up to you.

Actually, Singapore is not as safe as everyone loves to believe. So, best to lock both camera at home all the time, and only shoot at home, then the cameras will be safe.

Germany and Austria should be fine, the rest of places I have no idea. My feeling will be try to keep 'low profile', always keep camera when not use it, don't just sling on your neck

Have you tried travel with your camera and lenses? If you have tried, you should know how heavy you can tahan. It all depends on individual interest. Also, what type of photos you like to take.

My advice is, bring an UWA, a tele, no flash, no prime. But some CSer may start to suggest: prime is good for low light. So again I emphasize, it is up to you.

Hi shen siung thanks for your advise. yah will keep a low profile. Will be buying travel insurance as backup. but i think can only claim up to 1k+? lol anyway thats ot.

Actually, Singapore is not as safe as everyone loves to believe. So, best to lock both camera at home all the time, and only shoot at home, then the cameras will be safe.

Hey thanks Deadpoet, hahaha will just go happy shooting and keep low profile as required. shoot more worry less.

hi Octarine, ya i just found out how to quote pple's reply. thks for all the tips!

Eastern Europe shouldn be that cold so it would be fine to bring your cam, i was backpacking with friends through europe, had my 450D that time but it worked perfectly fine, Eastern europe wouldnt be as cold as central europe, just remember to cling tightly to your valuables all the time, thatll do :bsmilie:

Eastern Europe shouldn be that cold so it would be fine to bring your cam, i was backpacking with friends through europe, had my 450D that time but it worked perfectly fine, Eastern europe wouldnt be as cold as central europe, just remember to cling tightly to your valuables all the time, thatll do :bsmilie:

The weather in Europe is less predictable than the weather in SG when it comes to longer terms (2..4 weeks). There are long-term averages which one can consult (December on average maybe 5 degrees), but temperatures can still vary heavily. I had Christmas time with 10 degrees and rain and also -10 degrees and lots of snow. For nighttime you easily lower by another 10 degrees. Also, Winter in Eastern Europe tends to be more dry and colder than compared to Central or Western Europe (check long term statistics). But again, fluctuation occur and it's best to consult the weather forecast on the spot. Regional forecasts tend to be more precise than the generic overview of BBC. Forecast for next 3 days are quite reliable, everything beyond becomes more speculation.

In Czech Republic, you MUST go to Cesky Krumlov. It's a town fairytales are made out of. You can take a bus from Prague. They sell the tickets in little kiosks around the city.

As for Austria, Vienna is gorgeous. But you should go to Salzburg and Innsbruck for some small-town feel and lots of beautiful nature.

Hey,

All the places should be safe for travelling as long as you use your common sense. It can be very cold (sometimes as low as minus 10 in December), so be prepared!
Make sure you visit Prague & Krakow! Beautiful cities. And the Christmas markets in Germany. Try local mulled wine ;)

All the best,
Eva

Last edited:

Need some advise,

1. Its safe to bring along your gears as long as you dont make it conspicuous. ie if you act like a tourist and get bogged down you are only asking for trouble cause you will be an easy target.

2. my d300 has worked fine all the way down to -7 deg C. haveta check the manual for specifics

3. www.pbase.com/dapr0digy. i put up some of the photos from Czech Rep, Hungary and Austria there.

4. I just brought my trustly 18-200, CPL and tripod on walkabouts. I got sick of lugging the tele around after a while. works best for me .. everyone has their own preference. you need to find yours.

feel free to drop me a line if you need any more info

I backpacked thru' Poland, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Hungary and Croatia last year. Did Russia the year before. I would say that Russia is the place where you would have to be most careful. Actually saw groups of teenage pickpockets in action in St. Petersburg! But on the whole the other countries listed are pretty safe as long as you are streetwise. I carried 2 DSLR bodies and two lenses and never felt threatened at all. Stayed mostly in hostels and cheaper hotels. The fellow travellers in these places are usually friendly and helpful.

I'm from Poland and Eastern Europe gets colder then Central Europe, believe me! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.