Easter Sunrise Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_keow

Oct 8, 2004
Mt Alvernia Hospital
www.pbase.com
After I took this picture at our church sunrise service, I thought that I should have taken another similar picture without flashing the cross and flowers, more like silhouette against the sky bg. What do you guys think?

large.jpg

TIA

may we know what mood or message that you are trying to convey.

Totally does not work. A picture is not made by just spending a few seconds pondering on the use of flash.

WA ruined it, the bouquet is stretched, awkwardly cropped and looks horrible! Not to mention the loss in sharpness to the front and right of it. The sky is unimpressive and the flash has overpowered the subject.

Next time, use a telephoto lense, correct your perspective and eliminate the awful background as much as possible. Apply the theory of balancing ambient with flash.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Eng Keow, just took a glance at your gallery. Think you would already know the critique of the picture without my earlier post. So... what went wrong man? Someone hijack your account? lol.

ur fill in flash is almost correct:)a little under expose of the flash wud have made it look cool.....the flowers are not sharp enough;)u shud have focused on the flowers instead of the cross,but i dont blame u cz its hard to ignore a holy cross;)

may we know what mood or message that you are trying to convey.

I was trying to depict the sanctity and peacefulness of the cross against the sunrise. In the coolness of the morning, with the sun rising in the bg, I was trying to show how much the cross means to the christians! :)

Fair comments and accepted. I was using a 24-70mm at the 26mm end, open wide. Unfortunately the DOF was uncanningly shallow leading the the OOF flowers on the right. Cant do much about the sky. It is all there is. :( Only thing I could do was to move the amber portion of the skylight to the right of the cross. :angel:

Anyway, thanks for your comments.

Totally does not work. A picture is not made by just spending a few seconds pondering on the use of flash.

WA ruined it, the bouquet is stretched, awkwardly cropped and looks horrible! Not to mention the loss in sharpness to the front and right of it. The sky is unimpressive and the flash has overpowered the subject.

Next time, use a telephoto lense, correct your perspective and eliminate the awful background as much as possible. Apply the theory of balancing ambient with flash.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Eng Keow, just took a glance at your gallery. Think you would already know the critique of the picture without my earlier post. So... what went wrong man? Someone hijack your account? lol.

ur fill in flash is almost correct:)a little under expose of the flash wud have made it look cool.....the flowers are not sharp enough;)u shud have focused on the flowers instead of the cross,but i dont blame u cz its hard to ignore a holy cross;)

Thanks newlife,

I've already cut down the flash by -1 stop. sigh! still did not get the effect I want.
Yup the flowers OOF is a big boo-boo, but like you say - it's the cross, man! :)

I was trying to depict the sanctity and peacefulness of the cross against the sunrise. In the coolness of the morning, with the sun rising in the bg, I was trying to show how much the cross means to the christians! :)

I feel lot of imbalance between the foreground and background elements. Looked as if you had superimposed a different picture. Good thought.

You should have recomposed picture...
just cross and sky...or something more compelling...sky and background quite bad.
Make picture brighter...
this shot was at ACS(I) rite?...

I would have preferred a less strong flash.

Maybe more depth of field ?

Cheers:)

hi..
could u just take only the cross and the sky? get low? the sky is great as background.. keep it simple with cross and sky.. 2 cts worth..:) but i stil like your pix...keep trying..

You should have recomposed picture...
just cross and sky...or something more compelling...sky and background quite bad.
Make picture brighter...
this shot was at ACS(I) rite?...

hey, HEY, u from ACS(I)? We were using the space frame to have the early easter service.

Don't think I can just remove the flowers and leave the cross in the middle of the service.....otherwise my pastor will 'kill' me or the congregation would. :bsmilie:

dunno leh....first impression is that this is a funeral service rather than an easter service.

dunno leh....first impression is that this is a funeral service rather than an easter service.

OH NO! That's disastrous! :eek: & very sad :(

I guess, in this kinda of forum, have to accept all kinds of interpretations. If I really take this personally, I will give up photography all together, with my 1D MkIII, 500mm f4, etc. Sigh! Quite sad, quite sad....
:(

As in composition, this photo does not work..

The main focus should be the cross, the background is the sunrise, but your foreground are calling to much attention.

solution: shoot from another angle or off camera flash.

and this photo does not show it is a easter sunrise service, a cross and a bunch of flower does not say anything much.

you have to look around for other photos..

something like using 500mm lens to compress the heads of the congregation and the cross, sunrise as b/g.

OH NO! That's disastrous! :eek: & very sad :(

I guess, in this kinda of forum, have to accept all kinds of interpretations. If I really take this personally, I will give up photography all together, with my 1D MkIII, 500mm f4, etc. Sigh! Quite sad, quite sad....
:(

he has a point there. nothing in it says "easter", and the association with flowers... uh... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.