East Java - Mt. Bromo and Ijen Crater

Status
Not open for further replies.

ziploc

Jan 17, 2002
Snoopyland
Ngadas is a small village near the outer crater rim of Tengger. We stayed there for a night at the villagers house before embarking to Cemara Lawang.

Tengger Caldera
aaa.jpg

Dusk at Ngadas with Mt. Semeru at a distance.
aac.jpg

Sunset at Ngadas
aad.jpg

The next day we trek across the caldera with our full pack from Ngadas to Cemara Lawang. Cemara Lawang is a small town built on the outer Tengger crater rim next to Mt. Bromo. It has quite a number of hotels catering to visitors coming to see Bromo. We checked into a hotel and went on to climb up to Bromo's crater rim.

In the morning sea of clouds settling down on the caldera.
aaw.jpg

Gunung Bromo (left, active) and Gunung Batok (right, extinct).
aai.jpg

Bromo's volcano vent looking down from the crater rim.
aak.jpg

Early morning in the 3rd day around 4am, we took a jeep up to Gunung Penanjakan, the highest point at the outer crater rim to see the sunrise. The view here is simply superb.

Dawn at Penanjakan.
aam.jpg

Dawn at Penanjakan.
aan.jpg

Sea of clouds basking in the morning sun.
aar.jpg

From front to back: Batok, Bromo, Kursi, Semeru.
aao.jpg

We visited Ijen crater on the 4th day. This volcano is still very much active and there are molten sulphur ozing out from the cracks. They were collected by miners when harden and brought down from the crater. It is not unusual for the miners to carry up to 70kg of sulphur per trip.

Ijen crater.
abk.jpg

Sulphur fumes from the Ijen crater lake.
abh.jpg

In the underground eruption shelter. The window looks out to the lake.
abi.jpg

err.. .. wow :) :thumbsup: cool!

Originally posted by extreme2
Are all these pictures taken with the S2 Pro ?:)

No I didn't bring the S2. Pictures were taken with F5 and G2. :)

beautiful place ...

nice shots you got !!! well done :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow, love the colours of the sky! :bwhat:

Wonderful series. Loves the volcanoes. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By the way, sulphur fumes are known to be toxic. How close were you from the volcanoes and the craters? :confused: :confused:

wow nice pics!!!! its got a different kind of texture.... wat is a f5 ... film camera?

Thanks guys for the encouragements.

Even though we did the trekking (we are a bunch of hardcore trekkers :)) Gunung Bromo is quite accessible and you do not need to do any trekking to go there. Basically, anybody can fly to Surabaya and then take a cab/bus to Cemara Lawang (the small town next to Bromo) via Probolingo. At Camera Lawang there are a number of hotels/hostels which you can stay in, they cater for tourists, and you can even find rooms with hot shower if you willing to pay more. From Cemara Lawang you will have a very good view of Bromo, and to visit Bromo, you can either trek there (2km, about 2 hrs to-and-fro), rent a horse and ride there, or get a jeep to go there (the horse/jeep will bring you to the foot of Bromo's crater, and then you climb up a stairs of about 300 steps). After that, just get a jeep to go Penanjakan early morning the next day.

Originally posted by Goondu
By the way, sulphur fumes are known to be toxic. How close were you from the volcanoes and the craters?

At Ijen crater, we actually descended down to the dam at the bottom of the crater next to the lake. You are right about the fumes - they are basically sulphuric acid fumes and are very toxic, and I actually felt it was attacking my throat and choking when I went there. That's also the reason why the miners there has a much shorter life expectancy. By the way, the lake is also a pool of sulphuric acid with high acidity, at a temperature of about 50 degree C.

Originally posted by isomers007
wow.....magnificent views. ziploc, you travel quite a lot hor...lucky guy.

Thanks isomers. Ya... "I love adventures". :)

Originally posted by plainsman
wow nice pics!!!! its got a different kind of texture.... wat is a f5 ... film camera?

I was referring to the Nikon F5. Yup it is a film camera. The shots taken on slides (Kodak E100VS and Fuji Provia 100F) were by the F5.

Status
Not open for further replies.