East Coast Sunrise series

Status
Not open for further replies.

thoa_rs

Jan 10, 2003
Siglap
Visit site
Rather than shooting the typical sunrise shots from the jetty, I attempted to look for a new area for refreshing angles in this series.

Enjoy! ;)

17731468.jpg

17731469.jpg

good attempts. Keep it up! :)

Con't to try shooting under various conditions, lightings and angles. Its so easy to follow others' angles, but not so to find a good but unique angle to produce wonderful pictures of seemingly mundane subjects.

Did you stay overnight at East Coast to take them, like in the chalet or something?

Originally posted by yeocolin
good attempts. Keep it up! :)

Con't to try shooting under various conditions, lightings and angles. Its so easy to follow others' angles, but not so to find a good but unique angle to produce wonderful pictures of seemingly mundane subjects.

Did you stay overnight at East Coast to take them, like in the chalet or something?

Thanks! I cycled there very early in the morning to shoot. ;)

No, the last 3 pictures are as unique as they can be. If you are selecting photos for submission for competitions or portfolio, it is this kind of seemingly similar shots that are important. With my limited experience, I'll roughly share the differences in the pictures.

1)1st and 2nd pictures are portraits and landscape respectively. Question is, which do you feel more comfortable with?

2) Still on 1st and 2nd pic, subject, the sun, is on center and closer to the rule of third respectively. Which do u like?

3) 3rd pic, landscape and there are light rays escaping from bottom of the sun, with some flare (which in this case is difficult to avoid, but no harm trying several shots at slightly different angles to rid of the flare).

With subjects, such as sunrise and sunset, where time is of the essence, every 10s presents an entirely different set of pictures. Each set of lighting presents many different possible compositions.

It is after shooting similar subjects with many frames, are we able to select which is the best possible shots. Only after going through these frames, can we tell what is the best possible angle and lighting condition to capture a particular message you are trying to convey with your pictures.

Originally posted by yeocolin
No, the last 3 pictures are as unique as they can be. If you are selecting photos for submission for competitions or portfolio, it is this kind of seemingly similar shots that are important. With my limited experience, I'll roughly share the differences in the pictures.

1)1st and 2nd pictures are portraits and landscape respectively. Question is, which do you feel more comfortable with?

2) Still on 1st and 2nd pic, subject, the sun, is on center and closer to the rule of third respectively. Which do u like?

3) 3rd pic, landscape and there are light rays escaping from bottom of the sun, with some flare (which in this case is difficult to avoid, but no harm trying several shots at slightly different angles to rid of the flare).

With subjects, such as sunrise and sunset, where time is of the essence, every 10s presents an entirely different set of pictures. Each set of lighting presents many different possible compositions.

It is after shooting similar subjects with many frames, are we able to select which is the best possible shots. Only after going through these frames, can we tell what is the best possible angle and lighting condition to capture a particular message you are trying to convey with your pictures.

Thank you for the constructive advice! I do agree that the last 3 are totally unique.

Of the first 2, I'd prefer the 2nd one with its wider angle and rule of thirds composition.

Will be trying totally different angles next time along with the lighting changes.:)

Thoa_rs, it's good to see that you are putting in effort, waking up early and then shooting.. I'm not trying to be a detractor but i hope you understand, putting in alot of effort doesn't automatically make a picture great.

I have tried shooting one full day, waking up really early and still end up with nothing... Don't get me wrong though. I think these shots are ok but they lack impact... keep trying.. the light and the clouds weren't really stunning to start with so there isn't much you can do about it.

In fact, if you are keen, i'll gladly drive over to meet you early somewhere in East Coast and we can both do a sunrise shoot together... in fact, lets see if anyone from CS is keen during these sch hols and we all can shoot, share and learn from each other. :)

What say you? :)

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Thoa_rs, it's good to see that you are putting in effort, waking up early and then shooting.. I'm not trying to be a detractor but i hope you understand, putting in alot of effort doesn't automatically make a picture great.

I have tried shooting one full day, waking up really early and still end up with nothing... Don't get me wrong though. I think these shots are ok but they lack impact... keep trying.. the light and the clouds weren't really stunning to start with so there isn't much you can do about it.

In fact, if you are keen, i'll gladly drive over to meet you early somewhere in East Coast and we can both do a sunrise shoot together... in fact, lets see if anyone from CS is keen during these sch hols and we all can shoot, share and learn from each other. :)

What say you? :)

Agreed. The clouds and lighting weren't the best that day but didn't have much of choice really.
Hoping to make more trips in the future. :)

No problem, sunrise shoots are fine with me. :D

:heart:

I especially liked 'through the trees' and 'birth of a new day'.

More partial to 'peeking through the trees'. :)
Liked the constrast of the black against the colours of the sunrise.

Ummm..
You think you can blow it up for me to 8R/6R so I can put it up in my room?
Just a request. Don't have to say yes, but I really really like 'through the trees'...
Please?
I'll pay you................

I like "through the trees". Would be better if the sun can be a more distinct shape, but this will do for me. I'm a sucker for tree silhouette shots.

hey I'm interested in an early morning east coast shoot too, but someone will have to pick me up cos I don't think buses operate so early right? hehe. Wolfie baby?

Originally posted by Poledra
:heart:

I especially liked 'through the trees' and 'birth of a new day'.

More partial to 'peeking through the trees'. :)
Liked the constrast of the black against the colours of the sunrise.

Ummm..
You think you can blow it up for me to 8R/6R so I can put it up in my room?
Just a request. Don't have to say yes, but I really really like 'through the trees'...
Please?
I'll pay you................

Check your PM ;)

In fact, if you are keen, i'll gladly drive over to meet you early somewhere in East Coast and we can both do a sunrise shoot together... in fact, lets see if anyone from CS is keen during these sch hols and we all can shoot, share and learn from each other.

What say you?

i dun mind.. but to get from my place to east coast haha i think more suited for sunset.. have to camp over liao!

i prefer shot 2 of the last 3 shots and i know wat colin is trying to say coz i got an almost whole row of sunsets just to decide on orientation of photo and composition of sun (and of course bracketing) and luckily i got a few keepers...

keep trying man.. u are not alone

nothing can got wrong with sunsets/sunrises...

i like the first one..
reminds me of aura-lights in the polar regions...

Hey dehuis, you drive?? Maybe u can pick me up for sunrise shots. I stay at bukit panjang area :p

Originally posted by Tweek
I like "through the trees". Would be better if the sun can be a more distinct shape, but this will do for me. I'm a sucker for tree silhouette shots.

hey I'm interested in an early morning east coast shoot too, but someone will have to pick me up cos I don't think buses operate so early right? hehe. Wolfie baby?

Me? Your baby? ;) :p

Where you stay? :D

Wolf, just saw your sunrise gallery, some really good stuff you got there! :thumbsup:

Haven't really been on much sunrise shoots before (only 3 so far), but I hope to be making more soon (and hopefully capture some really dramatic skies). :)

like most i liked thru the trees...

also...awakening....if oni theres more flare...but its as good as it is to me already....:)

Btw just curious.. where do u stay? bedok?

Originally posted by Revo
like most i liked thru the trees...

also...awakening....if oni theres more flare...but its as good as it is to me already....:)

Btw just curious.. where do u stay? bedok?

Stay at Siglap. ;)

Thanks for the kind comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.