Easier Manual Focussing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elutris

Mar 15, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
www.elutris.net
I used to have a Nikon FE which I use my manual focus lens with. Manual Focussing is by using the split half circle method.

I have since upgraded to a F80D and there is no such half circles. When I want to focus, I have to just rely on seeing wherther the image looks sharp to me.

Although the most of my photos have turned out ok, but I am wondering if there is an easier and more spot on method to know if I've got the focussing right.

Originally posted by elutris
I used to have a Nikon FE which I use my manual focus lens with. Manual Focussing is by using the split half circle method.

I have since upgraded to a F80D and there is no such half circles. When I want to focus, I have to just rely on seeing wherther the image looks sharp to me.

Although the most of my photos have turned out ok, but I am wondering if there is an easier and more spot on method to know if I've got the focussing right.

Use AF? ;p

I am not sure about the F80, but on the F100 there's this 'electronic rangefinder' which lights when the focus area is in focus, otherwise it arrows point you to the direction you should turn the focus ring to get it in focus. Of coz, if you are using some non-Nikon lenses, it might require turning in the other direction....

Regards
CK

f80 has one too, but doesn't have the arrows. Instead it's blinking light. The light will blink faster as it gets nearer to the focus point and stop blinking and remain lit when focus is on.

I would love to use the AF but this isn't an AF lens in the first place. It's a pure MF lens. So all this blilnking light and arrow thing doesn't apply.

BTW, when I use my MF lens with my F80, I don't get metering readings as well, everything has to be set manually but that's a different matter.

Originally posted by elutris
I would love to use the AF but this isn't an AF lens in the first place. It's a pure MF lens. So all this blilnking light and arrow thing doesn't apply.

BTW, when I use my MF lens with my F80, I don't get metering readings as well, everything has to be set manually but that's a different matter.

The blinking light is for manual focusing.

When the image in the focusing area is in focus, the focus indicatior will show a steady circle.

On my F801s there is a circle with 2 arrows telling which direction you should turn the lens. This is the same as what ckiang described for the F100.

Keito said that there are no arrows for F80 to tell you which direction to turn your lens, but the circle blinks when you are out of focus, blinks faster as you approach being in focus, and stops blinking when you are in focus. This should apply to your case of using a manual focus lens on an AF body.

On my F801s, the focus indicator is located on the lower left corner of the view finder. You woud have to half-press the shutter release to activate the metering and ficus indicator.

- Roy

Would it be possible to change the focussing screen on the F80 to those split circle types? not familiar with F80 but just throwing up an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.