E520's AF under office lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

denizenx

Feb 1, 2002
L2TPYSG
Visit site
Does it cause the AF to be less accurate?
I had a series of shots all OOF... all shot under same lighting, wondering why. 'cause trying it outside was ok.

Using centre point, single AF.

Thanks!

It is common to see under PL lights and some florescent light that the frequency of the light causes havoc to the AE and AF sensor. This might be the case.

It is common to see under PL lights and some florescent light that the frequency of the light causes havoc to the AE and AF sensor. This might be the case.

When I saw this I wondered what the problem was as I regularly shoot with fluorescent light sources and never had an issue...but then I remembered Singapore runs on 50Hz while I'm at 60Hz.

Here's something you might try. In your manual in the index look up "VIDEO OUT"...it will tell you how to change the video output from NTSC to PAL. What does the video output have to do with the problem...maybe nothing, but it may tell your camera that you are operating in a country that's 50Hz, and may also compensate for other settings besides video output.

yikes, just had a ROM shoot... under bright daylight but ended up with simple groupshots having back focus for the entire series (individually focused Single AF centre point)
aim at crowd but focus is behind (trees sharp, faces not)
brought back to Oly centre today :( :(
hope any adjustments doesn't affect the other lens...

a bit worried, didn't have this problem earlier, was it bumped out of alignment??

Last edited:
don't flame me, but are the E-xx0s known for decent QC? it's a bit worrying

:eek: must go pray and burnt more joss paper during this period of time :sweat:

don't flame me, but are the E-xx0s known for decent QC? it's a bit worrying

they are slow to focus at low light and indoor..perhap did u in yr haste to fire off quickly.
press the button without waiting for af confirmation?

When you burn, let me know ok? I want to take picture... ha ha ha... :bsmilie:

Should be take video... ha ha ha... :bsmilie:

Hurray for E-P1!!!
(GH1 also can lah)

they are slow to focus at low light and indoor..perhap did u in yr haste to fire off quickly.
press the button without waiting for af confirmation?
no leh, my pics took in bright daylight, hence so worrying. and no not into the sun either.

ucosm: don't take video until end up like thai horror movies :D

ucosm: don't take video until end up like thai horror movies :D

Wish I can, bro... I will be rich!!!
Then I will buy more cameras!!!
And fund my Pen-Steady-Cam research... Pneumatic Steadycam System for Pen! PSSP!

For indoor shooting, the Olympus Exxx series are known for the AF hunting. I have a fair share of the issue as u faced during my trip to China. The normal kit len is good for normal daylight shooting with WOW result, but hunting most of the time in low light. The Olympus E-system is more useful at sport, outdoor event, wildlife photography. Indoor photography is not Olympus forte unfortunately. But E-system is really a run-for-money, especially new E520 is going at S$799 now at Havey Norman, very good strong performance at ISO400 and with a flash. enjoy:)

Well, since the cameras don't have face detect, at least you know it's not mistakenly focusing on something else... =p

I note my E510 had a very hard time locking on at night especially with the 70-300 at the long end (f5.6). One thing you can try is to use SAF+MF mode, and manual focus till approximately where the focal point oughtta be. Mine would lock on quite well after that. But if it hunts, it keeps on hunting, which can be very annoying.

Well, since the cameras don't have face detect, at least you know it's not mistakenly focusing on something else... =p

I note my E510 had a very hard time locking on at night especially with the 70-300 at the long end (f5.6). One thing you can try is to use SAF+MF mode, and manual focus till approximately where the focal point oughtta be. Mine would lock on quite well after that. But if it hunts, it keeps on hunting, which can be very annoying.

but I took the shots in roofless compound leh, no reason to have the entire string of shots oof... sent it back to olympus, see what they say today...

I just bot e Oly 520 with the HN offer. yes noticed the hunting effect. but interesting thing is that if I switch off the LIVE view, the AF is much faster and I have no issue snapping pics indoors. wondering if any other bros have this issue?

f5.6 is a bit of a stretch for the AF, you would need plenty of contrast to lock on.

some update: I brought it back, it seems they might have adjusted for back-focusing. if DOF is equal both sides of the actual focal distance, I think he slightly overcompensated the adjustment.
but now I wonder if my 70-300 will be out OOF, since it was ok with the camera before...
*very stressed*

Status
Not open for further replies.