E300 seriously into Underwater photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

raycsk

May 21, 2002
NE Singapore
xxx
The latest firmware 1.3 includes 2 scene modes for underwater photography.

With its own underwater casing, a variety lens cases for different ZD lens. Also the added option of flash casing, bracket and cables, this makes E300 pretty hard to beat in terms of adaptability and flexibility for underwater photography.

raycsk said:

With its own underwater casing, a variety lens cases for different ZD lens. Also the added option of flash casing, bracket and cables, this makes E300 pretty hard to beat in terms of adaptability and flexibility for underwater photography.

i can't find the uw scene mode after installing 1.3. is yours ok?

raycsk said:

All that UW accessories for the E-300 makes me think that it is the kit for UW photography in Olympus' E-system lineup.

Do you guys think that an updated or more up-spec E-300 will appear soon? ie. same body geometry but with all the new features.

And I noticed that on Olympus' website, the E-300 is placed above E-500. Does that means that in their product lineup, the E-300 is considered more highend?

tao said:
All that UW accessories for the E-300 makes me think that it is the kit for UW photography in Olympus' E-system lineup.

Do you guys think that an updated or more up-spec E-300 will appear soon? ie. same body geometry but with all the new features.

And I noticed that on Olympus' website, the E-300 is placed above E-500. Does that means that in their product lineup, the E-300 is considered more highend?

Guess you're somewhat right. At present no other DSLR has such a comprehensive accessories. Most of them rely on 3rd party makers such as Inos, Ikelite...

ysk said:

Have yet to check. I read details about the updates from the website when I was doing me firmware upgrade

ysk said:

It's inside the MENU on the camera.

1) Press MENU

2) Go to Tool 2

3) Scroll down to the very last setting before the FIRMWARE to turn OFF or ON the UW scene.

Hope this help.

kktan said:
It's inside the MENU on the camera.

1) Press MENU

2) Go to Tool 2

3) Scroll down to the very last setting before the FIRMWARE to turn OFF or ON the UW scene.

Hope this help.

one more point to this list

4) After 1-3, go scuba diving with ray :bsmilie:

bariq said:
one more point to this list

4) After 1-3, go scuba diving with ray :bsmilie:

thanks.. will do.. now counting down for my maldives trip in end oct..

ysk said:
thanks.. will do.. now counting down for my maldives trip in end oct..

WOW!!! Going Maldives for diving. ;p

Maybe our friend Mr. Hitman can recommend you guys some secret spots to dive. Remember to post some pics after your trip. :D

kktan said:
WOW!!! Going Maldives for diving. ;p

Maybe our friend Mr. Hitman can recommend you guys some secret spots to dive. Remember to post some pics after your trip. :D
Yes, yes.... Maldives is a divers' paradise!! It's the Manta Ray season now and I'll be joining our Marine Biologist next week for a dive :)

Our Marine Biologist uses the Oly 8080 with the under water housing and a strobe. Damn powerful, and the pics from the Oly 8080 is :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ysk - Which resort you visiting?

Hitman said:
Yes, yes.... Maldives is a divers' paradise!! It's the Manta Ray season now and I'll be joining our Marine Biologist next week for a dive :)

Our Marine Biologist uses the Oly 8080 with the under water housing and a strobe. Damn powerful, and the pics from the Oly 8080 is :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ysk - Which resort you visiting?

Yo Mr. Hitman,

Post more beautiful pictures of Maldives after your trip, okie??? ;p

Hitman said:

tempt him with the e300..hehe.... and the [size=+4]WHOLE lot[/size] of underwater accesories.. 11-22mm, fisheye, ttl flash...hehe ;p

ysk said:

After you turn on the UW mode in the menu, the two extra scene modes are NOT in the SCENE section of the dial...the UW modes actually replace the Night and Sports modes...if you turn on the Control Panel (press the Info button), you will see that instead of the Night and Sports icons you would see in those modes, they've been replaced with fish icons.

Now all you need is the UW case.

Personally though, I'd still use the PASM modes...I don't like being restricted by the scene modes, although I might look to see what defaults a scene mode choses, and maybe adjust some of those same settings in the PASM mode.

Hello Mikefellh,

Thank you for clear explanation and for sharing possible underwater shooting techniques over and above those provided in-camera.

On a recent photo outing, I came to learn from a fellow enthusiast the same techniques you mentioned, by using scene mode parameter settings as a starting point as I've never quite ventured into other fields of photography beyond candid.

Cheers,

hammer_400 said:
tempt him with the e300..hehe.... and the [size=+4]WHOLE lot[/size] of underwater accesories.. 11-22mm, fisheye, ttl flash...hehe ;p
If I had been involved with the budgeting and purchasing process, I would have surely INSIST on the E-300 underwater accessories!! But they wanted the money to be better spent on research equipment leh... ;)

Hitman said:
If I had been involved with the budgeting and purchasing process, I would have surely INSIST on the E-300 underwater accessories!! But they wanted the money to be better spent on research equipment leh... ;)

Hmmm... but an E-300 with all the UW gear is a research equipment! :angel:

tao said:
Hmmm... but an E-300 with all the UW gear is a research equipment! :angel:

Well I wouldn't go as far as classifying it as research equipment. But comparing to the likes of the other DSLR makes it packs quite a comprehensive range.

However I strongly feel that using an underwater strobe would be much better for capturing natural marine colours compared to the FL-36 or 50 with underwater casing.

Status
Not open for further replies.