E300 or E1 for a dSLR beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenKoh

Jan 14, 2003
Visit site
I am looking to get a dSLR. Currently I am using a PnS digcam. Reason for getting a dSLR is
- Having a kid soon. Want to capture those kodak moments
- Able to get a Olympus camera at staff price during their annual staff sale.
- Being wanting to get back to SLR shooting. Had a real old EOS 55 that was not used for few years.
- Read that olympus dSLR is a good dtarting point as its kit lens is of good quality

My requirements are
- Learn some new skills on SLR
- Able to shoot `kodak' moments as mentioned above
- Don't have to do much (or preferably none) computer editing before developing.
- Using it for family outing, travelling
- No looking to spend a fortune!!! I know how these things can spin out of control!!

Thanks folks

Hi DenKoh.

First of all, congrats that you'll be a father soon.

If you're really tight on budget perhaps you should really consider getting Canon DSLRs such as used 300D or brand new 350D (heard that the latter will be available soon). At least you'll be saving on the lenses assuming you're using one or two with your EOS 55.

DenKoh said:
- No looking to spend a fortune!!! I know how these things can spin out of control!!

Thanks folks

You yourself answered your question, E-1 is a pro cam, E-300 is entry level cam so obviously will be chaper than the pro version. E-300 is good for printing bigger panels coz its 8mp.

You should take a serious look at used 300D's. Since you shoot with an eos, your lenses and flashes and other accessories will work with it. Used 300D's are among the cheapest DSLR's around, and offer very good value for money.

Thanks for the inputs, guys.

Well, I only have one lens with my old EOS. It was left in a drawer for a few years. I haven't check its condition. Might have some mould on it. :). Beside, I don't have any other accessories with it

So it is like getting a brand new setup for me. I think the market value of a used 300D is about $1000 (from what I can gather from the Buy and Sell forum). If I can get a 300E at a couple of hundred dollars more than that, wouldn't it be a better deal? How much would a 350D be? I think it is about slightly less than $2000. Which would be a better camera?

DenKoh said:
Thanks for the inputs, guys.

Well, I only have one lens with my old EOS. It was left in a drawer for a few years. I haven't check its condition. Might have some mould on it. :). Beside, I don't have any other accessories with it

So it is like getting a brand new setup for me. I think the market value of a used 300D is about $1000 (from what I can gather from the Buy and Sell forum). If I can get a 300E at a couple of hundred dollars more than that, wouldn't it be a better deal? How much would a 350D be? I think it is about slightly less than $2000. Which would be a better camera?

Every camera got its stregths and weakness, it all boils down to what you want in your camera. So do lots of research and read reviews before you invest in a new cam :cool:

i think maybe u should look at e-300 vs e-1....

with e-1 u pay more, but get a faster kit lens, weather sealing, external WB sensor, even better build, two control dials... and maybe another few features i missed out...
with the e-300, u pay less, but get 8mpix, but lose the above features....
but with either, u still get the dust buster...

I hv a E-300 after having "upgraded" from Oly c5060wz. The DSLR is a different animal - for eg, between a dog and a tiger. I have hands-tried the E-1 and my newbie instincts inclined towards the e-300 as its many features (for eg,the mode dial, the view finder focus alert and the clearer LCD panel) are more comforting. Of course, the E-1 being a more expensive pro-camera has its many pluses.

If I had not lost my c5060wz, I would still be using it now. It has a bright and fast lens and the % of good pictures are quite high. (compared to my e-300, of course no fault of the camera - it's the usual longer learning curve of a DSLR)
Alternatively, the Camedia 8080 (an 8 megapixel camera) offers fantastic picture quality, especially in portraiture. (you can search the threads on this camera at CS)

But having said all these, I would suggest that you get a good first hand feel of the cameras at the shop. For eg, the weight, the feel, the responsiveness can only be understood by trying the camera/s itself.

Hope this helps

I've got a 1-year old kid. Shot lots of her photo during this one year.

Have had some chances to snapped some photos on 300D last year but somehow quite difficult to get 'nice' skin tone of my baby straight from the camera.

Here's what I've got straight out from the camera, without much tweaking. It's shot in the shade:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=118291

Isn't this the 'kodak' moment that you're referring too?

Olympus E-1 and E-300 both uses kodak CCDs!

I am not sure this info is useful to you or not

I tested E1 before and I did miss a lot of moment shots during my grandmother birthday party. :cry:

maybe is my fault for not familiarise the camera :hammer:

it very much boils down to your priorities. what u want your camera to do? i have been a nikon film user since FM2 days. own 3 nikkor glass & a flash. guess what? i jumped ship. nikon doesn't offer anything to my requirements so i switched.

ultimately, a camera is just a tool. if it doesn't fit your needs, no point clinging to it like some commandments.

if u r looking for great colours straight out from the cam, there r 2 choice so far:

1) Fuji S2 pro(discontinued)/ S3 pro
2) Olympus E300/E1

price of the S3 pro is about $3600 no nikkor lens. E1 is about $2700 w kit lens, E300 is about $1500 with kit lens.

i like the Oly colours, reliability & ruggedness of the E1, these r my top priorities so i don't need ultra fast AF. just super fast will do. :) or high MP. so far has been very happy with it for the past 6 mths. got a flash to go along too at $310. correct exposure & no back focus problems. ;p

here r 2 samples taken with flash for u to gauge, if the Oly 4:3 sys is good for u. no post processing done (only resize for web purpose).

brosis.jpg

crybaby.jpg

have fun shopping. reviews can only tell u this much about specs, ask around your friends & hear about their experience & most importantly, your personal preference when handling the cam. :cheers:

nightpiper said:
it very much boils down to your priorities. what u want your camera to do? i have been a nikon film user since FM2 days. own 3 nikkor glass & a flash. guess what? i jumped ship. nikon doesn't offer anything to my requirements so i switched.

ultimately, a camera is just a tool. if it doesn't fit your needs, no point clinging to it like some commandments.

Mmmm, nightpiper, u seems like describing my dilemma over here.
I am an FM2 user considering whether to jump ship. ;p

I am checking out D70 and E300 and it seems like D70 had pretty good
reviews on its build quality and relatively good AF-S kit lens (admittedly it
is a G lens).

I have very few excess (lens) baggage but I do hope to use my
Tamron 90mm macro.

I read somewhere in this Oly forum that lobang queen (Serene) :)
had helped some forumers to import Nikkor-Oly adapter from Japan.
How's the price and performance?

Finally, why u choose Oly over D70?

I personally like the oly for
- potential lightweight bodies/lens as promised by 4/3,
- CCD cleaner
- good colour without post processing
- slightly lower entry price but seems like D70 may be heavily discounted
further to maintain market momentum

Also, seems like E300 is not too much smaller, lighter than D70 :-(

Thanks in advance.

1. For shooting at home, best to invest in a external flash that support bouncing. For baby never fire the flash directly on them!

2. Close-up shot of baby is very nice. Cheaper solution is Canon or Nikon macro filter. Expensive is oly 50mm/macro

3. For traveling, you will love to get a zoom 150mm or 200mm.

4. Again for traveling, with kid and wife, you need to get a good bag to carry your dSLR too

Of course E1 E300 all fine but sometimes money do make a decision. You can try E300 first. If after say 1-2 years later you long for the E1 type (maybe a E2 then or a cheaper E1 available by then), sell the E300 body and still can used all your investment in lens/flash etc.

You will need times to learn and get the most out from the camera so "don't wait too long liao!"

That will be my strategy :)

Lastly, if you touch a E1 and fall in love with it immediately, just ignore all the logic and get it. Once a while, you have to listen to your heart and not your head :)

What is the weight of the Nikon + effective 400mm zoom?

I just got my Sigma 200mm which is really light and small. It is however just
a entry level zoom lens but saw on dpreview that great photo are possible too.

Anyone with the Oly 150mm or 200mm can comment? Oly use to do very good small
compact SLR in the manual SLR days.

ch5800 said:
I just got my Sigma 200mm which is really light and small. It is however just
a entry level zoom lens but saw on dpreview that great photo are possible too.

the four-thirds sigma 55-200? where did u buy? is it in Sg already?, checked last week tuesday at MS.. but they had no idea when it would be coming in....

jpcc said:
I am checking out D70 and E300 and it seems like D70 had pretty good
reviews on its build quality and relatively good AF-S kit lens (admittedly it
is a G lens).

u might want to check out the D70 good build quality on this thread:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=115946&page=5

looks can be decieving. read the whole thread if u have time & see if u can spot the boys from the fans. :) again u need to ask if D70 meets your needs & not whether r u still a big fan of nikon. if the advance features r what u r looking for, then go for it.

jpcc said:
I read somewhere in this Oly forum that lobang queen (Serene) :)
had helped some forumers to import Nikkor-Oly adapter from Japan.
How's the price and performance?

pls dun mention 'lobang queen' or i'll be shredded to pcs. ;p

jpcc said:
Finally, why u choose Oly over D70?
u didn't read my post above? also like to add, ISO 100.

jpcc said:
Also, seems like E300 is not too much smaller, lighter than D70 :-(

Thanks in advance.

its smaller but not lighter. fellow CSer, tomcat. had recently went to Italy with his E300 & has great experience.

do note that your old MF nikkor glass can be mounted on the D70 but there will be no metering or whatsoever for u to feasibily use it. on the other hand, the adaptor i bought can feasibily mount my old nikkor glass & still has metering. very useful. :thumbsup: have a glance at my nikkor on E1 here:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v224/flatscreen/28-105mm nikkor/

also do be aware that i use the nikkor glass not becos its better. but becos i have this option & can make use of it. in fact, i find the nikkors have a lot more CA than Oly ZD glass, bokeh also not as good.

here's a recent addition to the nikkor family:
monkey.jpg

I got it from B&H (USA)

Status
Not open for further replies.