E300 Blackdot! Is the CCD Dirty or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apex

Nov 7, 2002
Visit site
Dear E300 user,

I have a E300 picture taken. It happen to have a Black dot on the picture. Have try changing from Kit lens to the 40-200mm Lens. But the dot is still there. Is the CCD dirty or CCD faulty. I am very sure that lens both end has no dust and Stain.

Please advice

Pix up soon

blackdot6iy.jpg

A 100% Crop on that part.

Look more like CCD dirty then CCD spoil

100blackdot4fv.jpg

The "Dust" is too BIG liao...:bigeyes:

apex said:
Dear E300 user,

I have a E300 picture taken. It happen to have a Black dot on the picture. Have try changing from Kit lens to the 40-200mm Lens. But the dot is still there. Is the CCD dirty or CCD faulty. I am very sure that lens both end has no dust and Stain.

Please advice

Pix up soon

Something to clarify... izzit 40~150mm Lens??

Merciless_Knight said:
The "Dust" is too BIG liao...:bigeyes:

Something to clarify... izzit 40~150mm Lens??

Not sure about the lens ah should be 40-150mm ah. I dun own a E-300 yet. I'm just posting on behalf for my friend. So it tat a Dust or what? Lolz.

I understands inside the E300 menu there is a Cleaning functions. (page 4 of their cam menu). But I only get to see the mirror move away and how do we clean the inside? lolz.

Put ur hand in? Lolz ( i guess nobody does that)

try take an image against a white wall or sky... :)

In other DSLRs, dust particles actually collect on the low-pass filter and not the CCD itself. In Olympus E-System DSLRs, there is a Supersonic Wave Filter in front of the low-pass filter which shakes off the usual dust particles with ultrasonic vibration during start-up. This however might not work with oily/sticky dust particles which I suspect is the problem here ie there is a large sticky particle on the SWF.

You can check by setting the camera to an aperture of f/22 and taking a shot of the clear blue sky or a white wall. All the dust particles will show up very clearly at this aperture setting. If there are dust particles stuck to the SWF, you could try cleaning it off yourself using 'Sensor Swabs' and Eclipse liquid or you could send it in to Olympus Service Centre for cleaning. DO NOT touch the SWF with your finger ! You could end up scratching the SWF and permanently damaging it. :eek:

tomcat said:
In other DSLRs, dust particles actually collect on the low-pass filter and not the CCD itself. In Olympus E-System DSLRs, there is a Supersonic Wave Filter in front of the low-pass filter which shakes off the usual dust particles with ultrasonic vibration during start-up. This however might not work with oily/sticky dust particles which I suspect is the problem here ie there is a large sticky particle on the SWF.

You can check by setting the camera to an aperture of f/22 and taking a shot of the clear blue sky or a white wall. All the dust particles will show up very clearly at this aperture setting. If there are dust particles stuck to the SWF, you could try cleaning it off yourself using 'Sensor Swabs' and Eclipse liquid or you could send it in to Olympus Service Centre for cleaning. DO NOT touch the SWF with your finger ! You could end up scratching the SWF and permanently damaging it. :eek:

Agree with tomcats advice, it looks more like stain, bigger than dust particle or might be its the crop :dunno: which makes it look so big. Anyways do a pixel mapping first and see how it goes, if it didnt help then send the cam to oly.

apex said:
I understands inside the E300 menu there is a Cleaning functions. (page 4 of their cam menu). But I only get to see the mirror move away and how do we clean the inside? lolz.

Meant for the blower; not the brush, though. R they at the same spot every shot?

jamestyemk said:
Meant for the blower; not the brush, though. R they at the same spot every shot?

According to source yep same spot everytime. Even change lens.

i think it is either a stain caused by liquid which is why cannot be removed by the SWF or something wrong with the CCD... better send to Oly for checking.

if u read the manual, it says that not all dust can be shaken off. with situation like this, all u need is to set in the menus, 'cleaning mode' --> 'start' , then press the shutter release button. hold the cam with the mount opening facing the floor (u face up to the ceiling when looking into the CCD). use a hand blower (compress air NOT RECOMMENDED) & blow it off. be careful not to touch the sensor. it will be gone in less than 1sec. ;)

look like BIG elephant stuck on the CCD :D..

apex said:
Not sure about the lens ah should be 40-150mm ah. I dun own a E-300 yet. I'm just posting on behalf for my friend. So it tat a Dust or what? Lolz.

Maybe your friend accidentally touched the CDD :eek: with the tip of his finger while (earlier on) trying to solve "a smaller dusk" problem and then ended up introducing a bigger problem? The black patch looks like a small portion of a finger print... could it be the case? (since you're posting on behalf for him but do not know the exact reason) :think:

philshots said:
Maybe your friend accidentally touched the CDD :eek: with the tip of his finger while (earlier on) trying to solve "a smaller dusk" problem and then ended up introducing a bigger problem? The black patch looks like a small portion of a finger print... could it be the case? (since you're posting on behalf for him but do not know the exact reason) :think:

Okie Send in to olympus. 5mins resolve the problem. now Strong again!

sky33az.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.