E1 samples

Status
Not open for further replies.

denizenx

Feb 1, 2002
L2TPYSG
Visit site
hihi
first day with the cam, haven't read manual yet..
review production unit
some WB probs, slight underexposure. will read manual to see if --A-- is not auto LOL...

http://denizenx.clubsnap.org/gallery/E1

files with 200 or 400 etc are 100% crops
cwb is custom wb
just a brief feel of noise, DOF, bokeh etc...

some of the pics dun fit so need to click to get the full 100% pic...

denizenx said:
hihi
first day with the cam, haven't read manual yet..
review production unit
some WB probs, slight underexposure. will read manual to see if --A-- is not auto LOL...

http://denizenx.clubsnap.org/gallery/E1

files with 200 or 400 etc are 100% crops
cwb is custom wb
just a brief feel of noise, DOF, bokeh etc...

Thanks for the pictures Denx.

Ouch... Is it me or does the ISO 1600 look really noisy? Alas...

hmm...noticed that its kindof noisy for 1600 too...also noticed quite a few pics that's a tad un-focused...maybe its handheld under the low-light environment that might cause the slight focusing prob...yup...maybe readup the manual and repost more pics taken when you're more familiar with the cam? I'm sure there'll be a difference...

kelster said:
hmm...noticed that its kindof noisy for 1600 too...also noticed quite a few pics that's a tad un-focused...maybe its handheld under the low-light environment that might cause the slight focusing prob...yup...maybe readup the manual and repost more pics taken when you're more familiar with the cam? I'm sure there'll be a difference...
yup mostly in the 1/15 1/30 range...tradeoff between iso200 or 400 lor...
anyway noise is the same whatever the pic is lah hehe.. dun complain so much..
wait till u see the 3200 ones.. but all in all the noise quite good liao... "grainy" not colour noise.

anyway sehsuan: it's a review unit.. and the AMD crystal ball's not mine ;p. mine also wun give...

I did notice a weird thing where the WB is always yellowish on auto... I use finger to cover the white spot also like that. but manual is perfect.
and after a shot the LCD light ons itself.. wonder why...
and the batt ran out after <100 shots from full charge... hmmm... less than 3 hours usage in all.

hmm...maybe its new, the batteries need to be charged overnight?...sometimes...new batts need to be "broken into"...before it reached their optimum performance...

the FTMF only works when u depress the shutter trip. and the shutter's really quiet..
but slow shutters tend to jerk the camera.
heavy but not like the d100.
the flash FL50 is solid, but I only know Auto...
from the handwriting pic, can tell the kit lens quite good...
overall ccd image quite good, dun have that fudgy pixel look.
tmw barring rain shall try to go out and get some sunny pics...
discovered a weird thing just before my batt ran out, need to verify -- the 14-55 can focus until 4-5cm away from the lens element???

vs the c5060wz I just put back in the box -- the E-1's AF is +10 Wyrm Slayer...
shall try without the AF lamp after the batt's done charging.. shd have brought back the 5060's batt too... (both same BLM1)

the batts' are not mint, maybe kena abused... hmm oh yeah this one is the mint one from the 5060! I charged it so I used it. heh..
well it's on its 3rd charge now since OOB.
slow charger *sic*.

denizenx said:
the FTMF only works when u depress the shutter trip. and the shutter's really quiet..
but slow shutters tend to jerk the camera.
heavy but not like the d100.
the flash FL50 is solid, but I only know Auto...
from the handwriting pic, can tell the kit lens quite good...
overall ccd image quite good, dun have that fudgy pixel look.
tmw barring rain shall try to go out and get some sunny pics...
discovered a weird thing just before my batt ran out, need to verify -- the 14-55 can focus until 4-5cm away from the lens element???

From my brief experience with the camera, I found the shutter really interesting. It has this mutted "thutt" sound to it... really sexy. ;)

Funny thing is the noise on the pix you posted looks so much like the type of noise of on the e10... Stated on the Oly website that the minimum focusing distance on the lens is 0.22m.

There was a post recently on Landscapes/Arke Section by chongwm on E1 @ 1600. The pix looks clean, albeit a tat too dark. Quite a handful of users at dpreview are raving about this camera... and they're posting really good images, almost straight out of camera with little or no post proc. And they remarked that the WB is spot on...

Shoot shoot shoot... and bring more samples back. Any idea how's the grain in the shadows?

TIA. Tert.

tried it out, but i just didn't like the lenses that practically all are focussed/zoomed using extending designs. too cheem an interface for me too :p

posted more:
a 3200 shot and some "macro" images.
the macs are about 0.22m from the film plane I guess, what a long kit lens! ;p
I shoot about 5-7 cm from fully extended 55mm focal length. the bug is 100% crop.
used the FL50, ok flash, nothing fancy.
WB is still a prob for me, wonder why... yellow tinge on AutoWB in restaurant, home and night outdoors. I set RGB saturation to +1, but shdn't intro the cast.

the lens extending means can keep in smaller area, since unmoving lenses arealways extended LOL..
I think the internal focussing more impt, this one keeps ur CPLs untouched.
and the interface is afaik not much diff from any DSLR, in fact the lack of complicated menu options was a bit disappointing to play with.

oh yeah all the macs at f/11 with flash.
other varying are up to +2EV for exposure and +1 FEV for flash? was toying with the exposure.

also tried burst mode with Cont AF, at night trained on monitor - sometimes can sometimes cannot ;p.
more for day shoots I guess.

in general FTMF is cool! cool! cool! ext flash is cool! cool! cool! ;p

anyway my 2-cent summary:
E1 plus the quite good kit lens is basically a upgraded E20.
kit lens is a 28mm - 110mm f/2.8-3.5, ED, FTMF, internal focus, well-built, petal-hooded.
DOF is more SLR than digicam.
pleasantly surprised at the closeup mode -- no need extra stuff unless u go 1:1.
lighter than 10D and d100, same or better build.
image quality is between d100 and 10d (300d).
$4k (or lower mkt?) is for a rugged body and almost-L lens?

if I could fit this and the FL50 in one bonus I wd buy it ;p, else I wd be waiting for a longer hands on the f828 first, or an E11 and more lenses first.

denizenx said:
image quality is between d100 and 10d (300d).

Is it: d100 > e-1 > 10d or 10d > e-1 > d100? :D

/runs away from flames... :rbounce:

I was quoted $3800 for the basic kit. And plus a $200 rebate voucher from oly, it brings the price to $3600. A very tempting price.

Rather disappointed that the lens extends out though. Feels kinda like going against the whole idea of the e system being well sealed. The extended barrel would probably be suscepticle to dust and dirt ... Well, for the price, what more can i ask for?

tert

tert said:
Is it: d100 > e-1 > 10d or 10d > e-1 > d100? :D

/runs away from flames... :rbounce:

I was quoted $3800 for the basic kit. And plus a $200 rebate voucher from oly, it brings the price to $3600. A very tempting price.

Rather disappointed that the lens extends out though. Feels kinda like going against the how idea of the e system being well sealed. The extended barrel would probably be suscepticle to dust and dirt ... Well, for the price, what more can i ask for?

tert
no need to run lah haha...
I thought the d100 was good at 1600, until I tried a 300d on my nightwalks...
all are at least the quality of a typical iso400 digicam.
so to me threshold reached..
the 3200 was like my coolpix 990 at iso400... LOL

how come got voucher... man that is CHEAP, but then an FL50 is 700?

They gave the vouchers out during the e1 forum to forum participants... to be used to offset their purchase of the e system...

Dear Denizenx

Thanks for all the effort to share your experiences with us! Appreciate it!

Can you give us your verdict? Can PM lah...not so good to declare in the open.
Recommended/ not recommended. AF too slow/ fast.

Am concerned about you saying it's an upgraded E20.

I am just interested to know....will stay Canonite!! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.