E1 Price dropped to S$2999

Status
Not open for further replies.

huan

Dec 29, 2003
Today newspaper Olympus ads showed the E-1 at S$2999 not sure comes with len kits or not, if come with it then the price is damn attractive.

Olympus should have drop their price months ago man !

We have another choice to consider now.

WHAT!!?? $2999!!! time to get myself an E1. :vhappy:

any news on other accessories as well?

huan said:
Olympus should have drop their price months ago man !

You said it. Given the slew of new DSLR cameras out for Christmas, I am not sure if this will really make much of an impact.

It's a terrific camera with an impressive kit lens.

kahheng said:
You said it. Given the slew of new DSLR cameras out for Christmas, I am not sure if this will really make much of an impact.

It's a terrific camera with an impressive kit lens.

What is the original price of E-1? I saw it once, it looks quite bulky though :(
I heard that the E-300 will be on sale this December. What will you recommend for a serious newbie (actually not so new but I have just starting to take better photos)

Thanks!

The price of 8080 has also dropped to $1599 from $1899, likely to be a new product launch or possible replacement of newer camera in the coming months.

Except for E-300, anyone got wind of newer product coming from oly??

The E300 looks funny though like a crossbred between E-1 and the C series.

Hommie said:
The price of 8080 has also dropped to $1599 from $1899, likely to be a new product launch or possible replacement of newer camera in the coming months.

Except for E-300, anyone got wind of newer product coming from oly??

I read on Oly website that the new E series (presumbly the successor to E1) is on the way. But I have not seen any indications when this will be.. :)
The 8080 does not seem to catch on well, let's hope the E-300 will be a better bet

huan said:
The E300 looks funny though like a crossbred between E-1 and the C series.

its likely going to be a love or hate kind of thingy. :)

thanks for the good news!! will dream of it tonight & hopefully can get it over the weekend. :vhappy:

BUY! BUY! BUY! just for me. ;p

:cheers:

serene said:
I read on Oly website that the new E series (presumbly the successor to E1) is on the way. But I have not seen any indications when this will be.. :)
The 8080 does not seem to catch on well, let's hope the E-300 will be a better bet

What makes you think the 8080 hasn't caught on? It's selling quite well since it's been rated the best of 8MPs for picture quality. :D

kahheng said:
What makes you think the 8080 hasn't caught on? It's selling quite well since it's been rated the best of 8MPs for picture quality. :D

I have not seen my friends talking about it. I understand that they prefer to buy a DSLR like Nikon D70 instead. Is the C8080 performing better than the much touted c5050/c5060?

serene said:
I have not seen my friends talking about it. I understand that they prefer to buy a DSLR like Nikon D70 instead. Is the C8080 performing better than the much touted c5050/c5060?

Actually, they haven't really tried out the 8080 before, check out this thread:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=81577&highlight=8080

Its the reverse.

E-1 is very nice camera but sad that it's caught in-between the "Pro" (comparing those 1 series from C&N ) and prosumer. It's lack of "Pro" level speed, IS etc. For prosumer it's hard to compete with offering from canon , minolta (D7D) and nikon, not because it's a inferior camera or etc, Olympus is limited when it comes to system. Personally I've lots of respect for Oly for challenging the Pro market with thier first ever interchangeable lens DSLR :thumbsup:, totally new 4/3 standard, it takes lots guts to do that. Look at minolta and Pentax it took them so long to stage thier DSLR while they already have full line-up of SLR systems. Just my personal opinion.

Hommie said:
Actually, they haven't really tried out the 8080 before, check out this thread:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=81577&highlight=8080

Its the reverse.

heh heh....ex-828 user, then change to D70, then now want to abandon the dSLR route and change to 8080, all within a few short months? He really needs lots and lots of photographic tools to take pics.

Caussway said:
Olympus is limited when it comes to system.

this really has a lot to do with what u want to shoot. if u r some hardcore bird shooter or wildlife guy, nothing comes close to a Canon 1200mm giant bazooka. ya, Canon has a big gun but have u gotten it yet? my friend still holding on to his minolta X700 with only 1 lens, 35-70mm, after so many years.

i believe the E1 has most of the accessories for different kind of photography. the only problem is, it may not be the no.1 brand & doesn't have really big guns to chanllenge its competitors. that doesn't mean they r limited, just not big enough (300mm & 1.4x teleconverter).

i held one in my hand during one of those computer fair & i must say its the best in its class, no D100, D70, 300D or 10D/20D even comes close. image quality is as good if not better than the S2 pro. i rate image quality highest priority cos thats what a camera shud do, take good quality images with a resonably good lens. of cos there r the imperfections like low MP, high noise at high ISO, only 1/4000sec speed, etc, but those to me r just secondary issues. actually there r many things to like about the E1. :)

if i want big MP with best image quality, i shoot slides & scan them.

looking forward to BUY! BUY! BUY! :vhappy:

Well I fully agree with you. It all depends on the individual requirements. I did mention E-1 is a nice camera and I was really impressed with pictures taken with 50-200mm. Oly targetted E-1 for "Pro" market so it has to be good.

Hope to see your pictures taken with E-1 soon :)

nightpiper said:
this really has a lot to do with what u want to shoot. if u r some hardcore bird shooter or wildlife guy, nothing comes close to a Canon 1200mm giant bazooka. ya, Canon has a big gun but have u gotten it yet? my friend still holding on to his minolta X700 with only 1 lens, 35-70mm, after so many years.

i believe the E1 has most of the accessories for different kind of photography. the only problem is, it may not be the no.1 brand & doesn't have really big guns to chanllenge its competitors. that doesn't mean they r limited, just not big enough (300mm & 1.4x teleconverter).

i held one in my hand during one of those computer fair & i must say its the best in its class, no D100, D70, 300D or 10D/20D even comes close. image quality is as good if not better than the S2 pro. i rate image quality highest priority cos thats what a camera shud do, take good quality images with a resonably good lens. of cos there r the imperfections like low MP, high noise at high ISO, only 1/4000sec speed, etc, but those to me r just secondary issues. actually there r many things to like about the E1. :)

if i want big MP with best image quality, i shoot slides & scan them.

looking forward to BUY! BUY! BUY! :vhappy:

E1 would have sold a lot more if it were priced at this range from the beginning. It'll definitely appeal to the "rich amateurs" more, offering pro features like weather sealing and excellent lenses.

E1 has excellent handling cos of its weight as well, and lens speeds/sharpness is very good. It's prosumer performance in pro body, only problem then was that if amateurs were going for cheap lenses/accs there were none (like sigma cams) so quite sad lor.

mpenza said:
E1 would have sold a lot more if it were priced at this range from the beginning. It'll definitely appeal to the "rich amateurs" more, offering pro features like weather sealing and excellent lenses.

"rich amateurs" u say? not that exp what? the kit lens is about $800. minus off from the price of $3000, u get $2200 for the body. about the price of a D100, only much better. :)

denizenx said:
It's prosumer performance in pro body, only problem then was that if amateurs were going for cheap lenses/accs there were none (like sigma cams) so quite sad lor.

look at it as a D70 with kit lens lor, but this kit lens is much more superior. ;p anyway, performance is not really prosumer lah, look at D1x, similar kind of features but not call prosumer. :bsmilie:

aahhh... the sweet smell of weekend... BUY! BUY! BUY!

nightpiper said:
"rich amateurs" u say? not that exp what? the kit lens is about $800. minus off from the price of $3000, u get $2200 for the body. about the price of a D100, only much better. :)

You mean use the Sigma 18-125 instead ? Is it out yet ? Whats the price of it ?

reno77 said:
You mean use the Sigma 18-125 instead ? Is it out yet ? Whats the price of it ?

heard it juz came out in other western countries, shud reach here soon. BTW, i was refering to the Oly kit lens, 14-54mm, not sigma. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.