E1 or E300

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbuff

Aug 18, 2004
www.pbase.com
Hi

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question.

Assuming u can get E1 and E300 at the same price with E300 being a 8mp DSLR would u get E1 or E300?

Same price? E1 of course.

IMO, the only advantage the E300 has over the E1 is the addtional resolution. But for everything else, ergonomics, built quality, weatherproofing, image quality(esp JPEG quality), lower noise at high ISO, size and quality of viewfinder, etc, the E1 is simply better.

Simply put, the E1 is a professional body that can take the knocks and go anywhere, so it is much more worth it for the same price, if you can get it, that is.

digitalbuff said:
Hi

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question.

Assuming u can get E1 and E300 at the same price with E300 being a 8mp DSLR would u get E1 or E300?

from ur profile, i see u r using a 20D. u sure about buying another sys? u may not get use to the not-so-fast AF compared to USM in canon & noise at ISO800.

another advantage of E300 over E1 is the weight & size. good for travelling & manuveuring as what tomcat has pointed out (he also owns a 20D). both cams also offers very good colours out of the cam, if thats what u r looking for. ;)

Nightpiper is right. The E300 is very good for travelling. I only need to carry two very light zoom lenses (provided you are not using the top-of-the-line lenses, of course) and a flash and I'm covered for most situations. And these consumer-grade zoom lenses are really very good optically. I am still continually amazed at the image quality I can get from the 40-150mm zoom.

Also, the E300 is still the only DSLR in the world that allow the user to use both built-in and external flashes together simultaneously to great effects.

With the current Olympus promotion, the E300 plus both zoom lenses and a 1G CF card only cost $1,799 RRP. I don't think you can get this kind of pricing for the E1 though.

I would love to get the E1 and use it when travelling to beaches and dusty places :) missed a good chance though when a set was on sale for a good price.

Also, the E300 is still the only DSLR in the world that allow the user to use both built-in and external flashes together simultaneously to great effects.

Some others can too (Nikon and Minolta) if I'm not wrong but via wireless mode.

mpenza said:

Some others can too (Nikon and Minolta) if I'm not wrong but via wireless mode.
That's quite true. Though I should have clarified that I'm referring more to using the external flash mounted on the hot shoe and the built-in flash simultaneously.

Having a wireless flash mode is great but it is generally speaking more useful in a studio environment where there's more time for setting up. The use of the mounted external flash and built-in flash in the E300 is great for more spontaneous shooting situations where you can just flip up the external flash for bounce and use the built-in flash for fill-in with exposure automatically set by the camera; or just use the built-in flash to augment the external flash for direct flash mode - this is quite useful for the FL36 flash which has a shorter working range than the FL50.

tomcat said:

Correction, both the E-10 and E-20 can do that too.

It is a great feature to have for taking portraits and group photos.

tao said:
Correction, both the E-10 and E-20 can do that too.

It is a great feature to have for taking portraits and group photos.
Sigh... that's true too :embrass: I always forget that E10 and E20 are also DSLRs despite the fact that they have fixed lenses. Which external flash can they work with in a 'bounce-and-fill' mode since the FL-36 is not available at the time. The FL-50 is too big and cannot be used simultaneously with the built-in flash of the E300, so I presume it would be the same for the E10 and E20. Perhaps only the FL-40 then?

Anyone knows if the current Oly promo for the e300 for SGD1799 with 1 GB card and 2 lenses can be purchased cheaper at say MS or Cathay?

I am now in KL and the E300 is going at approx SGD 1580 (RM3599) but no card and extra lens.

nightpiper said:
from ur profile, i see u r using a 20D. u sure about buying another sys? u may not get use to the not-so-fast AF compared to USM in canon & noise at ISO800.

another advantage of E300 over E1 is the weight & size. good for travelling & manuveuring as what tomcat has pointed out (he also owns a 20D). both cams also offers very good colours out of the cam, if thats what u r looking for. ;)

Hi Nightpiper, I have sold my entire 20D system. I borrowed a D70 to try a few weeks back. I do not quite like it. Too bad, I got no E300 or E1 to borrow to try.

Tomcat

We seem to have the same taste. ;)

Panasonic LC1
Canon 20D
Olympus E300 & E1

digitalbuff said:
Anyone knows if the current Oly promo for the e300 for SGD1799 with 1 GB card and 2 lenses can be purchased cheaper at say MS or Cathay?

I am now in KL and the E300 is going at approx SGD 1580 (RM3599) but no card and extra lens.
Wow! You mean you can get an E1 with kit lens for about that price in KL too?

Anyway, I think the prices are usually quite fixed for that kind of a promotion since the markdown is absorbed by Olympus and the profit margin for retailers can't be that high.

tomcat said:
Wow! You mean you can get an E1 with kit lens for about that price in KL too?

Anyway, I think the prices are usually quite fixed for that kind of a promotion since the markdown is absorbed by Olympus and the profit margin for retailers can't be that high.

Tomcat, no the E300 not the E1.

digitalbuff said:
Hi Nightpiper, I have sold my entire 20D system. I borrowed a D70 to try a few weeks back. I do not quite like it. Too bad, I got no E300 or E1 to borrow to try.

interesting, care to share why you want to switch from 20D to E1/E300?

tao said:
interesting, care to share why you want to switch from 20D to E1/E300?

Erhh actually, I really liked my Canon 20D but i am also a person who like to try different gadgets..... so that is more or less the story.

digitalbuff said:
Erhh actually, I really liked my Canon 20D but i am also a person who like to try different gadgets..... so that is more or less the story.

for which finanacial institution you work for ?? hehehe just kidding. Nice hobby man

digitalbuff said:

Any ideal how much is the ZD 50mm F2 Macro lens selling in K.L.???

:cheers:

digitalbuff said:
Tomcat, no the E300 not the E1.
OIC... I thought that going by your first post you are able to get E1 and E300 at the same price. I know this is not possible in Singapore, but in KL who knows?:)

E-300 Kit is going for RM3100 ~ SG$1330. (Last checked was like in March, so might drop slightly by now)
You should be able to get this price in any camera shop in Sungei Wang Plaza, KL (Malaysia).
Should go and try to ask Foto Selangor in Pertama Kompleks, KL (Malaysia). It dubbed the cheapest reliable place to get a camera.

As for the 50mm, I got a quotation from a shop owner in Petaling Jaya (Malaysia) for RM1960 ~ SG$841 while AP (simlim) is SG$890.

If anyone interested, let me know as I travel back to Malaysia every 2 weeks.

Hi, do you own th E1, I need advice. I am looking for E1 or Canon 20D. Can you give meet the feedback. Which equipment have better sharpness

Status
Not open for further replies.