E-M5 Mk2 vs E-M10 Mk2

awayfromhome

Jan 8, 2005
Hi All,

I want to upgrade my multi-year-old Lumix GX1. My main use for my camera is
- Travel (landscape and street)
- Family event
- Occasionally walk-about photo taking

I've read up reviews, watching YouTube to research and I am torn between E-M5 Mk2 (quoted $1225 body only) vs E-M10 Mk2 (quoted $998 with 14-42mm).

I am well aware that these 2 are at different class of Olympus. My question here is: with my usage above, is it worth to get E-M5 Mk2(for features like weather sealed, Hi-Res, Mic line, etc...)?

TIA.

Last edited:
I think for your above usage, either will do fine, question is, for example, how often do you find yourself being caught in undesirable weather? Hi-res is a nice feature, but I rarely use it, do you print large images? If not, no point shooting hi-res and taking up precious space on your hard disk even though there are 12TB HDD around. Mic line, you shoot video?

I think you should list down what do you do and the features of both cameras, and ask yourself honestly if you need it, for example, you've listed the following.

. Travel
. Family event
. Occasional walk about

Which can be filled as

. Travel - E-M5 MKII, E-M10MKK
. Family event - E-M5 MKII, E-M10MKK
. Occasional walk about - E-M5 MKII, E-M10MKK

Then the features, like so

. Weather sealing - I don't shoot in the rain
. High-res - I got limited HDD space and don't need hi res files
. Mic line in - I don't shoot video
. Flip screen - I prefer discreet shooting (WongLP likes this more)
. swivel screen - I don't shoot video (I personally like swivel but I'm ok with both)

I think only you yourself can answer it, else I personally will tell you to go for E-M5 MKII cause it's in the middle and the best compromise between the top and bottom

Reactions: Fable
Both capable m43 camera. I had the em10 mark 1 before and upgraded to em5 mark 2.
I find the built of em5 mk2 much better, weather sealing for assurance in case of rain, sea etc and the 5 axis IS amazing. Worth spending the extra hundreds. Got what I paid for.

Just to add to your headache, there's EM10 Mark III now hahaha, but doesn't looks like you do 4K, so probably can skip. Anyways, what Spidey89 had mentioned is a good start to help you narrow down, but only yourself will know.

I am also considering the same thing. Was waiting if I would see a price drop on the EM10.2 in the upcoming Sitex.. :)

Thanks Bro, in the end I bought I did bought the EM10.2 for S$898/- with two lens with 3 year warranty. May not be the best price, but when I see the price in BnS it seem its more worthwhile getting a new unit.

Hi Anson, might sharing where you get yr em10 mk2 for $898 for two lens?