E-500 lock-up problem ?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlyFlyer

Mar 22, 2006
On this forum a few people state that there is an occasional lock up problem with E-1.

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=12688

It does not really concern me since I don't have the E-1 but there is somebody stating the problem is very serious on the E-500.

Rockin Ronnie said:
I have had this same problem with my E-500; locks up about 1 in 20 times of turning it on.

I think it is user error but anyway, has any of you seen the described problems? Or are all those guys wrong? I am hitting about 10 000 shutter actuations with my E-500 but I never had the problem. If it would happen every 20 times the camera would definitely left my home a long time ago, especially if Oly service would say they can not find the error...:think: I would become very angry. Maybe that guy/gal is a newbie :dunno:

A few times I suspected there was something wrong with my camera when I started to use it, because the red light was flashing on and off for like forever. But then I thought I let it flash to see how long it is doing it, it stoped after a long time. I checked what may have caused it and came to conclusions it was the NR. With NR on it is some times flashing for a very very long time but I think that is normal. It did however never locked up, and never had to remove the battery to reboot the camera. If it would happen every 20th times of turning it on it would really make me mad. That means every 20th picture is missed completely.

My first E-1 locked up a couple of times with similar symptoms. It only happened when I was using a 4Gb Microdrive and another 2gb compactflash card (Transcend). The compactflash card had some defective blocks.

I've never had another lock up after switching my memory cards to Sandisk Ultra IIs and Kingston 40x cards.

I had the lockup even on the E-330 but that was because of a defective xD card. After switching to another memory card, the problem disappeared. Of course there is the occasional lag due to slower memory cards but that's not the fault of the camera but the card.

No locked-up ever experienced.

But I have this problem of the E500 not detecting the FL50 sometimes. And I need to turn off then on again. Sometimes it does not detect the lens too. But I am not entirely sure if these are camera, or flash, or lens, or user's problems. :)

Have been using the E500 for more than a year and have never experienced any lockup. Could it be due to an older firmware version.

So, a quick conclusion, xD or CF error may cause lock-up. I do agree, that should be possible, but I don't think it is firmware error. I only use Sandisk both for xD and CF and have not seen that problem yet.

Touch wood...

I also have the camera not detecting lens and FL50(Oly Malaysia one).This happen to me occasionally.

...But I have this problem of the E500 not detecting the FL50 sometimes. And I need to turn off then on again. Sometimes it does not detect the lens too. But I am not entirely sure if these are camera, or flash, or lens, or user's problems. :)
My FL-50 is not always switching on automatically when I switch on the camera. I believe that depends on how it was switched off last time. Not a big deal, just have to check the display and turn it on manually.

As Blu already said, I also think you have a contact problem or you accidentally pushed the lens release button just a tiny bit. That is enough for the camera to not recognize the lens. It is important when changing lens NOT to push the button when the lens is twisted to lock. Otherwise the lens may rotate a tiny bit too long, not locking properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.