E-300 Raw Converters - Adobe Camera Raw vs Olympus Master

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcat

Nov 7, 2003
Visit site
For comparison purposes, I converted a RAW file using both ACR and Olympus Master. Except for Exposure Compensation which was set at +0.9 for both software because the original pic was slightly underexposed, all other parameters were set to zero.

Converted this way, it could be seen that ACR produced a duller image whereas Olympus Master's was more punchy. However, the ACR converted image is slightly more detailed.

RAW Comparison01.jpg

The duller colours produced by ACR is not a very serious problem but it would mean more post-processing have to be carried out to get the kind of results we like.

However, it is possible to improve the colour rendition by calibrating ACR to our respective cameras and produce a profile that is specific to that particular camera. The procedure is discussed in detail in this article:
http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/21351-1.html by Bruce Fraser who has also written a very useful book on ACR called 'Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS'.

Following the procedure, I calibrated the ACR to my E-300 and converted the same RAW file using the customised calibration settings and the converted image is as shown in the middle image above. It is still not perfect but it looked better than the one produced by the uncalibrated ACR to my eyes. The calibration settings could probably still be improved further if necessary I suppose.

Using the customised settings to reconvert some of my other E-300 RAW files also produced images with nicer colours than if the default profile was used. So calibrating ACR do work ! And I would certainly be calibrating it to my other cameras as well when I have more time. :D

Using ACR definately more details because the Dynamic Noise Reduction (a force-on feature in both E-300 and Olympus Master) is not applied.

Thanks for sharing the link. Does that mean, no one will be getting the Olympus Studio?

ykkok said:
Using ACR definately more details because the Dynamic Noise Reduction (a force-on feature in both E-300 and Olympus Master) is not applied.

Thanks for sharing the link. Does that mean, no one will be getting the Olympus Studio?
Actually you can by-pass the NR in Master. Users in dpreview have found that there is a friendly bug in Master. If you hoghlight the RAW file, select Open Edit Window in the Edit Menu, then do your conversion from there, NR is switched off and you would get more details than if you do it the normal way.

Only thing is that you lose the ability to change some of the parameters in the RAW conversion.

I am interested in getting Studio but I don't think the ver 1.2 is available here yet. I believe what they have now is the old version and you would have to upgrade it yourself.

True! The bug reported is there. So, in this way, we can still maintain the details as well as Olympus colour rendition.

Is this from Master 1.1 or the latest version? As I've tried it and still don't get as much detail as ACR.

Evilmerlin said:
Is this from Master 1.1 or the latest version? As I've tried it and still don't get as much detail as ACR.
It's Master 1.11 but I don't think it makes any difference.
ACR does give slightly more details than Master but the colours out of Master is more attractive and that was what I was trying to say.

I received Olympus Photo Creator (Simple) from Oly Japan (FOC). Is this included in the Singapore bought set, I wonder.

here my RAW comparison of Oly Viewer & PShop ACR plug in.

1st is Oly Viewer

durian2.jpg

next is the ACR from Pshop.

ACR.jpg

still loves the Oly colours. :thumbsup:

nice pics nightpiper.

btw u used the E-1 with kit lens for the shoot?

:)

to be honest, i use my nikkor 28-105 for most of the shots now. the only time i use the 14-54 F2.8 is when i shoot people & need wide angle. the esplanade shot was shot with the 28-105mm nikkor on the E1 via an adaptor. :) it feels very different when suddenly things changed to '56-210mm'. fun at the same time! :D

still likes the Oly colours from the Viewer s/w. :vhappy:

nightpiper said:
to be honest, i use my nikkor 28-105 for most of the shots now. the only time i use the 14-54 F2.8 is when i shoot people & need wide angle. the esplanade shot was shot with the 28-105mm nikkor on the E1 via an adaptor. :) it feels very different when suddenly things changed to '56-210mm'. fun at the same time! :D

still likes the Oly colours from the Viewer s/w. :vhappy:

I see, hope to grab the Nikkor Adaptor & some Nikkor lenses as I miss the Push/Pull zooms & weight of old glass..
;p

Status
Not open for further replies.