E-300 long exposures (fireworks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bariq

Dec 6, 2004
Kallang
www.pbase.com
Here are few pics of fireworks shot thru E-300, 3s long exposures surprisingly came good enough.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

More at
http://www.pbase.com/bariq/national_day

Nice! Care to share where you where shooting from and what lens was used? Thanks!

koolz said:
Nice! Care to share where you where shooting from and what lens was used? Thanks!

I was using 14-54 lens and shooting from the sheares bridge near marina

bariq said:
I was using 14-54 lens and shooting from the sheares bridge near marina

Hi Bariq
Thanks for sharing with us. Can you tell us the settings for some of the shots? Did you use bulb at all? Thanks

serene said:
Hi Bariq
Thanks for sharing with us. Can you tell us the settings for some of the shots? Did you use bulb at all? Thanks

Hi Serene,
Most of the shots were at 3sec at F10 or F11, i found out that 2 seconds is not adequate for fireworks after shooting the first 2 or 3 shots. Nope didnt used the bulb feature.

cheers

Find your background is rather dark,maybe try F8?:dunno: but you lose out on the finer trail of firework. 3 stops of light is quite alot.

i like the colours alot.:thumbsup: almost smokeless.

zaxh81 said:
Find your background is rather dark,maybe try F8?:dunno: but you lose out on the finer trail of firework. 3 stops of light is quite alot.

i like the colours alot.:thumbsup: almost smokeless.

if get down to F8 or lower the background gets distracting, as the buildings are all well lit up. I prefered shooting F13 or higher to isolate the fireworks from the building lights but have to shoot at 4sec then, which is making the pic too complex with many fireworks :) This is the best combination i thought of, so shot at 3sec and F10/11

Nice capture Bariq. However I find the background a little too dark. It would be nice to be able to see the skyline.

jbma said:
Nice capture Bariq. However I find the background a little too dark. It would be nice to be able to see the skyline.

thanks, i find the skyline distracting tats why try to avoid it. If anyone wants to shoot the skyline with fireworks here is the trick.. take a black card, use bulb mode expose the skyline first then cover the lens with the black card and get prepared for the fireworks and expose.. it works well. But me not into it :)

marlboro_guy said:
Fireworks during the countdown...

Fireworks_NDP00288.jpg

planning to go back this 14th......may be shoot in a different angle this time....

nice capture! i like the sillouettes, and the bright burnt out parts of fireworks and find it really adds to the mood of the occasion...
for me i would prefer the skyline or some other distinguishing elements in the fireworks photo to help convey the mood/idea/atmosphere... like theesplanade,national day, singapore skyline etc...

Hey thnk u for the appreciating my style...

Will keep your comments in mind during my next try tomorrow....

whoops... when i said...

hammer_400 said:
for me i would prefer the skyline or some other distinguishing elements in the fireworks photo to help convey the mood/idea/atmosphere... like the esplanade,national day, singapore skyline etc...

i meant comparing with just plain fireworks...
the bridge and pple work well for ur shot :thumbsup:

marlboro_guy said:
Hey thnk u for the appreciating my style...

Will keep your comments in mind during my next try tomorrow....

Hi Marboro_guy
This is an excellent pic from the aesthetic point of view - it captures the festive mood of the event. Can you share the settings with us. My rough guess is a fairly long > 15 secs exposure (I might be wrong though as my experience is nil):)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/peteryeo/IMG_9977.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/peteryeo/IMG_9972.jpg

Hi all,sorry for post my images at this moment.

How about this two images?Try to have a clean BG so I use F-11 with long expose,but the firework with over expose.Try next time set ISO 400 or Maybe 800 with f-stop around 11 or 22.I think 100% must use black card.

Comments please.

Thanks & Regards
PeterYeoHwaiTeck

peteryeo said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/peteryeo/IMG_9977.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/peteryeo/IMG_9972.jpg

Hi all,sorry for post my images at this moment.

How about this two images?Try to have a clean BG so I use F-11 with long expose,but the firework with over expose.Try next time set ISO 400 or Maybe 800 with f-stop around 11 or 22.I think 100% must use black card.

Comments please.

Thanks & Regards
PeterYeoHwaiTeck

I lov ur first pic, that kind of shimmering fire cracker is hard to capture, good work.. yeah if you need to capture background and use longer shutter speed, surely the fireworks will be overburnt. so use a black card, pre-expose the background before the fireworks start and get ready :) or shoot with higher iso if your cam permits it without inducing noise into the pic.

Higher ISO will indeed expose the building but when the actual firework is up,it will over expose the firework too.

Black card is used when multiple exposure of firework is wanted,the way Bariq describe is best when you know the actual timing of the 1st burst coming out.After 1st burst,black card would be of no use to expose building unless there is a long pause in between firework.

Status
Not open for further replies.