E-300 incompatibility with FL-40 flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamestyemk

Aug 9, 2004
Yew Tee
Noticed the TTL flash mode doesn't come on when mounted my FL-40 onto the E-300. It can only accept Manual or Auto settings. Turning off the camera also won't turn off the flash or up it in standby mode.

Anyone else tried this combination?

Further test on my Metz flash wish 3202 shoe also can sync the speed and F-stop. Flash not displayed in viewfinder too. Flash zoom head, nevertheless, moved when the lens focal range is changed, indicating there is some synchronisation with the body.

Anyone tried hotshoe flash on E-300 yet?

have not got any flash yet.

any kind chap wanna arrange to meet up & test a FL-50 on the hotshoe?
;)

so far ONLY FL50 & FL36 r meant for the E DSLR sys. FL40 is meant for the prosumer digicams. i have borrowed my friend's FL40 on my new E1 & the results r very bad. totally hay-wire exposure results. get the FL36, heard its pretty cheap & shud suit most general needs. :cheers:

nightpiper said:
so far ONLY FL50 & FL36 r meant for the E DSLR sys. FL40 is meant for the prosumer digicams. i have borrowed my friend's FL40 on my new E1 & the results r very bad. totally hay-wire exposure results. get the FL36, heard its pretty cheap & shud suit most general needs. :cheers:
Thanks for the responses. Confirmed with retail sources that though Olympus Singapore briefed them that FL-40 should still be compatible, they too had received contradicting feedback.
Tested for myself that FL-50 had no problem with E-300, and bought it immediately. The guide number for FL-36 would be too low for my usage.

I am desperately in need of an external flash too for my E-300. But I hesitate to get the FL-50 because it could not be used together with the built-in flash unlike the FL-36 which can. That is one feature of the E-300 I would love to be able to use.

Yes, FL-50 would block the built-in flash from popping up. The flash won't slide into the shoe properly if the built-in flash is already raised.
Looks like no other choice for you but to wait for the new FL-36 which is due for arrival in Feb/Mar 05, unless u get it from abroad. Saw it listed at Olympus USA for USD199.

Status
Not open for further replies.