E-300 and ED 50mm f/2.0 Macro Test Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
tomcat said:
Here are 2 more test shots taken today of some asters (I think) using only available light:

Hi Tom, could you provide some information on the saturation/contrast settings you used for all the flower shots?

Thanks!

tert said:
Hi Tom, could you provide some information on the saturation/contrast settings you used for all the flower shots?

Thanks!
For the first set of flowers/cats shots, I had set the camera to default for saturation and sharpness and +1 for contrast.

For the second set of flowers shots, I had used -1 for saturation and -1 for contrast because I wanted to try out somebody's recommendation on dpreview. He had used these settings because he wanted to minimised the 'Sony' kind of effects (whatever that means).

Which do you think is better?

tomcat said:
For the first set of flowers/cats shots, I had set the camera to default for saturation and sharpness and +1 for contrast.

For the second set of flowers shots, I had used -1 for saturation and -1 for contrast because I wanted to try out somebody's recommendation on dpreview. He had used these settings because he wanted to minimised the 'Sony' kind of effects (whatever that means).

Which do you think is better?

The saturation on the first batch of flower pictures were a bit of an overkill for me. The second batch looks more comfortable for my taste.

In addition to Adam-T's (of dpreview review fame) comments on the desonyfication of the e300, I found this thread by both Ben Hermann and Adam-T to be of great value. See here. According to them, the apparent softness of the kit lens is due to the very lo(/u)ssy jpeg conversion algorithm within the e300. The camera is apparently a different beast when you shoot in RAW.

Somehow I am a little sad that "superb straight out of camera" feature on the E1 was not replicated on the e300.

tert said:
The saturation on the first batch of flower pictures were a bit of an overkill for me. The second batch looks more comfortable for my taste.

In addition to Adam-T's (of dpreview review fame) comments on the desonyfication of the e300, I found this thread by both Ben Hermann and Adam-T to be of great value. See here. According to them, the apparent softness of the kit lens is due to the very lo(/u)ssy jpeg conversion algorithm within the e300. The camera is apparently a different beast when you shoot in RAW.

Somehow I am a little sad that "superb straight out of camera" feature on the E1 was not replicated on the e300.

Whoops ... Din realised that you wrote about the ACR in other thread till now.

tert said:

I thought what they said was that it was the RAW conversion with ACR v2.4 beta that made the E-300 a different beast. I take it that they mean that ACR v2.4 is a much better RAW converter than Olympus Master or Olympus Studio which they must have used previously to convert RAW images taken by the E-300.

Personally, I think the default settings of the E-300 is a bit strong too just like in the case of the Canon 300D as compared to the 10D. As this is a newly launched camera, some experimenting with the settings would be needed by the users to get the type of out-of-camera image quality that they desire.

I agree that the colours in second batch of test shots were more natural too. They could probably be improved further with some more customising of the settings. In any case, I usually prefers to shot RAW and I am very happy that ACR v2.4 does such a good job in converting RAW from the E-300. :)

I believe they might likely be talking about jpegs and in-camera processing, evident from this quote from the thread: "Sheesh do Oly need to get with the Program and release some decent in-camera processing firmware for the E300 .."

Remember Jono Slack, the jpeg lover of the E1? I woud love to hear what he has to say. :)

Hmm...how much is the lens ah? tempted to buy hehehehehe

Evilmerlin said:
Hmm...how much is the lens ah? tempted to buy hehehehehe
Closer to >$900 locally unless you managed to get it second-hand. ;)

It costs $930 (w/ GST) @ CP if payment is made in cash. Credit card payment = $970 (w/ GST)

serene said:
It costs $930 (w/ GST) @ CP if payment is made in cash. Credit card payment = $970 (w/ GST)
Hi Serene,
You have one too?
Got lobang to get the FL-36 flash or not? :)

If anywhere in Singapore cheaper, let me know. The prices from CP and MS are the same :(

Hi!
order mine from Lords yesterday for $900 w/GST.
It is ready for collection this afternoon

Wah...thats quite ex...sigh...looks like I'll have to stick to those F/3.5 - 5.6 lens still.

hhho said:
Hi!
order mine from Lords yesterday for $900 w/GST.
It is ready for collection this afternoon

My friend got his for $890.00w/GST.
:)

merlion said:
My friend got his for $890.00w/GST.
:)

Hi Merlion
Pls advise which shop your friend got from.
Thanks! :)

After reading the glowing reports on the use of the new Adobe Camera Raw v2.4 to convert the RAW images from the E-300, I gave it a try and ... WOW !! What a improvement in image quality !!

These are some of the new pics taken in RAW and converted by ACR 2.4:

37733986.jpg

37733985.jpg

37733987.jpg

37733990.jpg

37733989.jpg

Could I trouble you to take a shot with both RAW and JPEG(@SHQ). I've tried it and just can't see the difference leh...

But hot damn! That flower shot is superb!

Damn...Should I get this lens or the 50-200 F3.5-5.6?

love the sharpness, details and colors of the cat pics :) well done! How's the autofocussing speed for non-macro distances?

Status
Not open for further replies.