E-1 and E 500 Focusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelleong

Mar 29, 2005
Hillview
www.flickr.com
Hi Oly users ,

I need your enlightenment. I went to the Brid Park today. But seems that my cam percentage of locking focus on the birds in flight are 10%. 90% are not in focus. Any idea? I looked through my view finder, waited and waited, but no luck.

3956353-md.jpg

3956350-md.jpg

3956348-md.jpg

Here is one that is focus.
3956359-md.jpg

What focus mode are you using ? S-AF/C-AF or MF ? I also had problem focusing with fast moving targets (ants.. hahax). But was using S-AF. May try again tomorrow using C-AF. wonder if it works.

Raptor1 said:
What focus mode are you using ? S-AF/C-AF or MF ? I also had problem focusing with fast moving targets (ants.. hahax). But was using S-AF. May try again tomorrow using C-AF. wonder if it works.

I tried both S-AF and C-AF. Same result.:dunno:
For slow and static subject, both E-1 focus and E-500 focus flawlessly. But for fast moving ones, :thumbsd:

What do you guys think? Any suggestions will be great.

Yupz, having same problem here. had problem focusing with fast moving targets.

for fast moving targets it's rather tricky. i would recommend using C-AF and iso 200 and stopping down your aperture a little. it'll give you slightly more depth of field. wide open is definitely better if you can get a lock on the target.

here're some of my pics. some are "cheated". i prefocused at the place i know the cars are coming so it'll definitely be in focus. when it zooms pass i'll go trigger happy. continuous exposures helps alot. it's alot of trial and error initially but you'll get the hang of it.

the pictures of the planes were all taken at f/8.0 and above. any less is difficult. they were very fast. the very bright daylight helps alot. i've included one panning shot. it takes abit of practice so dun give up!

shoot on my brothers! :)

:think: i noe for the e-1 n e-300 the battery grip helps esp with C-AF on the larger lens...

also can try C-AF with focus priority on.

hammer_400 said:
:think: i noe for the e-1 n e-300 the battery grip helps esp with C-AF on the larger lens...

also can try C-AF with focus priority on.
o yes the batt grip does helps alot for the e-1. agreed totally.

Thanks KrY0LiT3,

Great, I love it. Nice photos. Where were these events? I found out the problem I had. My AF was on S.AF+MF, seems similar to shutter release priority functions. The shutter will release even when not in focus. Now that it is OFF. It will focus. Will try again next week.

I have not tried the battery grip yet, however, does it really increase focusing speed? Significantly?

I cannot prefocus at the birds as their flight path are a bit erratic. However, I will try. The flight is very short, I waited to lock focus but it never lock on until the bird landed.

Too Late.

Also, focusing is particularly harder on smaller subjects.

No problem for big subjects, here the F-1 at Sepang 2005
3215111-md.jpg

those pics were taken in australia last year. it was the clipsal 500. an annual street racing event in adelaide. very posh and highly modified cars everywhere. whoo! there were racing girls too of cos. they are "slow moving targets" so not a problem at all. :p

o yes, i wanted to tell u that it doesnt matter that 90% of the shots are not in focus. the ratio will definitely improve with experience and time. i had so many unusable shots for that event last year. it doesnt matter. just learn and get accustomed to your camera. pro photographers usually shoot a huge amount of pictures cos nice shots has an element of luck as well. i'm not pro so i shoot even more. lol.

yep. it's ok one. so dun despair.

Hi Selamatlz,

yes 150mm F2, took it for a test drive today. It is darn heavy and I am not quite us to it yet. Got to walk around more. :sweat:

noelleong said:
Thanks KrY0LiT3,

Great, I love it. Nice photos. Where were these events? I found out the problem I had. My AF was on S.AF+MF, seems similar to shutter release priority functions. The shutter will release even when not in focus. Now that it is OFF. It will focus. Will try again next week.

I have not tried the battery grip yet, however, does it really increase focusing speed? Significantly?

I cannot prefocus at the birds as their flight path are a bit erratic. However, I will try. The flight is very short, I waited to lock focus but it never lock on until the bird landed.

Too Late.

3215111-md.jpg
the AF lock speed and so does its sensitivity. i have not done any tests so i don't have a quantitative result. however qualitatively i can say it feels better. maybe the presence of the grip helps too. a better firmer hold may play a role in this.

there's a mode which i disabled... i cant remember wat is it. it's the one that restricts you to press the shutter release only when the picture is in focus. wah i totally hate that. i would rather have a slightly out-of-focus pic than to miss that specific timing.

and of cos you cant prefocus at the birds. lol. try f/5.6 and up the iso and use C-af. it may help. if the day is bright it shouldnt be a problem.

nice pic btw :) and you got the 150!!! wahhh...

cheers

kelvin

noelleong said:
Thanks KrY0LiT3,

Too Late.

I think learn to prefocus is important. During the MF days, prefocus is the only way to shoot difficult shot.

These was prefocused,

pc015195.jpg

pc015492.jpg

noelleong said:
Hi Selamatlz,

yes 150mm F2, took it for a test drive today. It is darn heavy and I am not quite us to it yet. Got to walk around more. :sweat:

wa.... I need to test drive it one day.

I took a church concert without flash, 50-200 cannot make it. Need F2 man !

Hi Kelvin,

thanks for you advise. By the way, where are the slow moving targets you mentioned at the race?:bsmilie:

I will definitely try your suggestions next week. I want to pan birds in flight. That's is my next project or something.

I have panned
3224550-md.jpg

3930123-md.jpg

3909523-md.jpg

3220152-md.jpg

But never birds. Yes 150mm is nice, but I hope the coming E body will justify the potential of this lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.