Dynamic Range of a camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBL2009

Jul 9, 2009
Seletar Estate, Singapore
Can I improve the dynamic range of a camera by using different lenses?

I find not many people talk about dynamic range when they are comparing camera specifications.

I find not many people talk about dynamic range when they are comparing camera specifications.

No you can't

For many, dynamic range is not important thing to consider for selecting cam

No. It falls onto the body (sensor/filter array).

No you can't

For many, dynamic range is not important thing to consider for selecting cam
not sure on this but S5Pro users might say differently.

i don't think it can. if u happen to find such a lens let us know too.

if u are talking about dSLRs, most of these cameras out there has enough DR for most applications. most people do not need the DR from S5 Pro, unless you have consistent problems with highlights; or u just simply enjoy blasting the highlights and recovering them later, convincing urself you got a damn powerful sensor. I was a S5 and S3 user myself.

if they do not talk about it, most likely it is not important to them.

Lense will not improve DR but retains clarify with good optics.

Photographers will avoid scene with extreme dynamic range bec it is hard to balance the bright and dark end. Thus DR is often a user's selection. Early versions of Bayer sensor did not have the ability to handle extreme DR until Foveon comes along (still requires post processing too close up the gap)

S5Pro and Sigma SD dSLR are those early versions with DR mgmt. But current technology is catching up.

Status
Not open for further replies.