Dying 47-Year-Old Professor Gives Exuberant ‘Last Lecture’

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner

Jan 24, 2002
Visit site
Just to share this inspiring lecture conducted in honor of professor Randy Pausch from Carnegie Mellon, co-founder of the Entertainment Technology Center with branch campuses established, planned, or in discussion for Adelaide, Australia; Seoul, Korea; Silicon Valley, California; and Singapore...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5700431505846055184

Spend some time to enjoy... :thumbsup:

Interesting, no one seem to be interested or don't bother to comment.

Since majority of CSers are in the IT line, you guys will not be unfamiliar with virtual reality right?

Anyway, Professor Randy Pausch is a virtual reality pioneer, human-computer interaction researcher, co-founder of CMU's Entertainment Technology Center, and creator of the Alice software project, if you hear of it before... ;)

Thanks for sharing.

I loved the part where he says "I am dying and I am having Fun. And I am gonna keep having Fun every day I have left. Because there is no other way to play it" :thumbsup:

There are many other beautiful thoughts and experiences. Worth spending an hour and 45 mins.

He's got a terrific sense of humor. Wish all of us could have that kind of spirit. The world would definitely be a better place to live.

It appears that he is still alive, albeit still fighting the cancer cells...

for me, it's quite sad... I hate to think that brilliant minds with such positive attitude towards life, has to have such a short one. Someone like me, who has nothing to contribute to this world and don't even wish to live would continue to live and be in torture.

How do I continue to live when he's dying?
Why him and not me?

for me, it's quite sad... I hate to think that brilliant minds with such positive attitude towards life, has to have such a short one. Someone like me, who has nothing to contribute to this world and don't even wish to live would continue to live and be in torture.

How do I continue to live when he's dying?
Why him and not me?

at the expense of OTing this thread...

nisa,
there is no point in asking such questions, because there is no answer or there is an answer that we might not understand - yet. why do i get 3 full meals a day when there are millions of children all over the world who don't even get a single decent meal in a week ? why do i get to live in a decent house, sleep on a decent bed when there are millions of homeless people in this world ? why ? why ? why ?

the only thing we can do is to live our life to the fullest, be in tune with nature, be kind and considerate to others and give something back to the society in which we live. and by giving, i don't mean passing a thousand dollar bill once a year to some charity. i mean spending time with the needy, educating children, taking care of the destitute etc.

we all come into this world to fulfill a purpose. when that purpose is fulfilled, we will be gone - just like billions of others who have come before us and billions of others who will come after us. even though this book is fiction, i wouldn't mind recommending it to you. after all, if not anything, you can just call it a good read. Mitch Albom's "Five people you would meet in heaven".

Happy New Year. Its the season of happiness and sharing your joy with friends and family.

Status
Not open for further replies.