Dwindling activity level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

siron

Mar 18, 2002
somewhere near...
www.geocities.com
Other then HWZ...Are there? Well when I first joined as clubsnap member, the forum is kinda like very active. But after sometime, I find that it's slowing dying down in a way. Anyone agree with me? Especially at the photo galleries. Hmmm...

Originally posted by siron
Other then HWZ...Are there? Well when I first joined as clubsnap member, the forum is kinda like very active. But after sometime, I find that it's slowing dying down in a way. Anyone agree with me? Especially at the photo galleries. Hmmm...

Hi siron, you can help us by elaborating, in your view that the forum is dying, especially the photo galleries...

I'm quite sure this will be an interesting topic for discussion!

Originally posted by AdamGoi

Hi siron, you can help us by elaborating, in your view that the forum is dying, especially the photo galleries...

I'm quite sure this will be an interesting topic for discussion!

Sure..to what I feel it was more active last time as in postings and comments. I realise pple now only view and not comments, way lesser then last time. really hope to see it ON fire like what I felt before! :)

I figure its all a matter of proportion - when ClubSNAP was started by the core group of defectors from HWZ DC&P, we had relatively few members, and were posting a little more frequently, therefore, it felt more active and vibrant cos any post would attract some comments.

But as the forum grows and the number of posts grow, in-depth analysis would find that the really active posters are not growing as fast as the general members. Therefore, as more members post, the number of replies drop in relation to the number of posts as the active posters has not grown in proportion.

As I see it, the number of posts has been growing steadily, and the forum is also thriving. We, the CTMs, have to ensure a steady stream of new members, hence the regular activities.

At the very least, ClubSNAP has:-
1. A knowledgeable community of photographers covering a variety of disciplines, and attracting more talent as we speak.
2. A courteous group of members
3. A strong commitment from the CTMs to continue to make ClubSNAP the #1 community for Asian photographers.

p.s. okay-lah i go and comment on your hdb thread and some of your recent postings ;)

Originally posted by Darren
I figure its all a matter of proportion - when ClubSNAP was started by the core group of defectors from HWZ DC&P, we had relatively few members, and were posting a little more frequently, therefore, it felt more active and vibrant cos any post would attract some comments.

But as the forum grows and the number of posts grow, in-depth analysis would find that the really active posters are not growing as fast as the general members. Therefore, as more members post, the number of replies drop in relation to the number of posts as the active posters has not grown in proportion.

As I see it, the number of posts has been growing steadily, and the forum is also thriving. We, the CTMs, have to ensure a steady stream of new members, hence the regular activities.

At the very least, ClubSNAP has:-
1. A knowledgeable community of photographers covering a variety of disciplines, and attracting more talent as we speak.
2. A courteous group of members
3. A strong commitment from the CTMs to continue to make ClubSNAP the #1 community for Asian photographers.

p.s. okay-lah i go and comment on your hdb thread and some of your recent postings ;)

hdb is what started me from feeling this way!! hah

To add on, one of the phenomenon that we can observe is that the number of posts and responses increase immediately after a photoshoot has taken place, so perhaps one of the ways to increase activity (but of course, has to be productive activity) is to have more gatherings and photoshoots.

To add on, one of the phenomenon that we can observe is that the number of posts and responses increase immediately after a photoshoot has taken place, so perhaps one of the ways to increase activity (but of course, has to be productive activity) is to have more gatherings and photoshoots.
That's a good suggestion. Hmmm why not more prizes add into some competition etc.
haha. yeah that means money! haha. membership fees?? hahaha DUN KILL ME clubsnap members!! heheh. kidding!! ;)

Originally posted by siron hdb is what started me from feeling this way!! hah

well, not every thread or post gets comments - personally, i would prefer no comments rather than get nasty comments.

Some of my posts also don't have replies or comments, but thats the way it is.

And some ppl's post get really obtuse comments like "hey, how come the color like this one" and goes off into a tangent without actually talking about the PHOTO itself.

However, I must bring up this point that the majority of ppl here do not properly critique a picture other than saying "Nice :thumbsup:" (which I myself have been guilty of doing) - and this is something which may take some time to rectify in the sense that the ones who DO know how to properly critique a photo should show the way as an example for the rest to emulate or aspire to.

well, not every thread or post gets comments - personally, i would prefer no comments rather than get nasty comments.

And some ppl's post get really obtuse comments like "hey, how come the color like this one" and goes off into a tangent without actually talking about the PHOTO itself.

However, I must bring up this point that the majority of ppl here do not properly critique a picture other than saying "Nice :thumbsup:" (which I myself have been guilty of doing) - and this is something which may take some time to rectify in the sense that the ones who DO know how to properly critique a photo should show the way as an example for the rest to emulate or aspire to.

Yep couldn't agree more... (me too always give comments like that) but sometimes "lost for words" ?? haha , actually when pple start giving comments which are bad. In a way. I like it cuz I can learn if not I can debate. That's what I feel critque is abt.

well for me at least, it's not that i don't wanna post pictures up for review/critique etc. i just don't have a scanner with me. so here i am with a stack of 30-40 rolls of film and slides of everything from fighting iguanas to night shots of the HongKong skyline but none to show/share.

:(

and spending that additional $XX /roll for scanning just for critical review at clubsnap doesn't translate to wise/prudent financial management.

should i invest in a scanner? at $700-$2000.. No. Not unless i've sold my first picture. i can afford a DC with that kind of money. it doesn't translate to meaningful ROI.

know of any one/place who rents scanner by the hour?/roll? :)

A few points

A problem with photo galleries is that old posts just fade away, never to be viewed again. How about making a consolidated sticky thread that collects together all POTW/POTM nominees? One sticky thread for each category or whatever...

I am kind of doing that for flowers in the thread the moderators have kindly made sticky. All flowers photos will be commented upon if I notice them.....

Another factor about photo galleries is that all the sites allowing direct linking are getting slower and slower. Just wondering. If instead of direct linking, you were linked to a webpage on say geocities or tripod (not tripodasia), would people bother to click to view?

Finally, I think clubsnap and gatherings go hand and hand. Every week seems like got outing to BG or JBP....

Totally agree. Most of the time, comments are usually "very nice", "very sharp", etc, not particularly helpful. :(

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Totally agree. Most of the time, comments are usually "very nice", "very sharp", etc, not particularly helpful. :(

But on the flip side, posting a large amount of pictures probably necessitates a brief reply.

If a proper critique is required, a brief narrative would also be helpful for the person viewing the photo - why it was taken, what emotion or feeling the photographer is trying to evoke, etc.

Something like what rty did for his "I miss Dad" photo (and also, Siron, the same hdb shot you posted in HWZ had more response due to the fact that you gave some info and ask feedback based on that info provided).

So, for proper critique, BOTH sides must also play..... correct?

Originally posted by erwinx
A problem with photo galleries is that old posts just fade away, never to be viewed again. How about making a consolidated sticky thread that collects together all POTW/POTM nominees? One sticky thread for each category or whatever...
Actually, we do have a separate gallery that lists all POTW/POTM nominees. But section is still getting spruced up, so it hasn't been released to the public yet. ;)

But on the flip side, posting a large amount of pictures probably necessitates a brief reply.

If a proper critique is required, a brief narrative would also be helpful for the person viewing the photo - why it was taken, what emotion or feeling the photographer is trying to evoke, etc.

Something like what rty did for his "I miss Dad" photo (and also, Siron, the same hdb shot you posted in HWZ had more response due to the fact that you gave some info and ask feedback based on that info provided).

So, for proper critique, BOTH sides must also play..... correct?

I can't agree more with this, some posters just put in a picture and say "Please comment". If critique and comments are genuinely desired by the poster, perhaps he/she shld put it under critique section and elaborate a bit more, on what he thinks is nice, what he thinks is lacking, the emotions he wishes to convey, and what made he take the picture. That would let the viewers understand his state of mind a lot easier, and would answer according to what he wants.

I think to be fair, one who posts in other sections other than critique, esp if the posting contains more than 1 picture, shouldn't really complain that no one responses, or the responses are superficial ("nice", "sharp" etc). To me, I'd see the poster as sharing his pictures for all to see, rather than asking for critique lor. In addition, if a picture is a common-place one, yep sometimes I'd rather keep quiet than give a fake or nasty comment. Maybe we can establish the unspoken rule that, if your picture gets no response, then something is quite wrong with it? And if you really want to know what's wrong with it, post it in the critique section properly and ask explicitly. Will that be good?

Tweek,
You got it right!

If a poster requires critique, then the proper place to post is in the Critique section AND provided the poster gives additional info as background to the pic.

For all other galleries, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: will suffice.

I think the contents of this thread look more suitable for the Suggestion Box Forum. So Siron, I hope you dun mind if I rename the thread title and move it over to the Suggestion Box Forum. Let me know if u have any violent objections.. :p

I think the dimishing of posting in the photo galleries could be due to factors like lack of storage space.
The hassle of havng to post the pics in another site before doing a link to it sometimes puts me off.

Having a local storage space, that's perhaps one avenue to look at?

I agree with Tweek and Darren that the lack of critiques in posts outside of Photo Critique is understandable. However personally I don't feel that if the poster wants a critique, that he or she needs to furnish background details. After all a picture is meant to be interpreted on its own merits and not through captions and background narratives. I have nothing against pointers if the poster requires specific advice, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.