DVD Recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

yymun

Nov 23, 2003
tanglin
Visit site
Hi, wanted to buy a dvd recoder to convert my DV tape into DVD-R disc, but worry the quality of the picture!!:sweat:

just to find out has anyone using the DVD Recorder to burn DV tape into DVD disc? how is the picture quality? are they using MPEG 2 format? is it using real time recording?:think:

cheers

your advise is very appreciated!!:)

when the source is lousy, there's no way to make the end result better. After all the D/A conversions, the result will be a little lousier than what you can get from your tape. The advantage is, the DVDs wouldn't get mouldy over time.

OK correct me if im wrong.. yakking at this hour do has it's disadvantages.

i would agree with you wholly. current transmitted TV signals are low-definition and no where compared to the quality of DVD standard; they are at best matched by S-VCD quality.

hence, it wouldn't make sense to encode them into MPEG-2. it's a sheer waste of diskspace and fallacy that one gets DVD-quality when recording off-air broadcasts.

behyx said:
when the source is lousy, there's no way to make the end result better. After all the D/A conversions, the result will be a little lousier than what you can get from your tape. The advantage is, the DVDs wouldn't get mouldy over time.

OK correct me if im wrong.. yakking at this hour do has it's disadvantages.

yymun said:
Hi, wanted to buy a dvd recoder to convert my DV tape into DVD-R disc, but worry the quality of the picture!!:sweat:

just to find out has anyone using the DVD Recorder to burn DV tape into DVD disc? how is the picture quality? are they using MPEG 2 format? is it using real time recording?:think:

cheers

your advise is very appreciated!!:)
me think If the quality produced by ur DV is lousy, then the DVD will be lousy (quality wise)...:dunno:

I guess ur concerns would not be the burner, rather, the software. Not a video fan so can't recomend you any...

slightly OT: speaking of burner... see tis --> http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/pioneers-bluray-pc-drive-beats-new-year-145380.php

DV video cam records the captured video onto the tape in digital format. When you connect the DV cam to the DVD recorder through the "Firewire" cable, the transfer is done in "digital" format. A/D conversion is not required. There shouldn't be any quality lost during the transfer..... theoretically. The DVD recorder will convert the DV data into mpeg2 and burn it on the DVD media or if there is a built-in harddisk, it can be stored there too. The conversion is done in real-time.

One draw back about DVD recorder is the limited DVD menu creation and video editing feature. But the typical "branded" DVD recorder should be able to create a simple DVD menu and come with some simple video editing capability.

You can also use a PC to convert your DV tapes to DVD. But the process is a little bit more technical. You will need a firewire port PC, P4 2.4Ghz or greater CPU and lots of harddisk space for editing(if you wish to edit). The plus points of using a PC is the flexibilty to create fanciful or interactive DVD menu. Create studio standard video editing effects, mix different sound source and many others.

DVD recorder - Easy to use. Straight forward but limited in terms of fancy editing features.
PC - Need some technical knowledge to setup. You can be as creative as you want.

The choice is yours.

I hv been trying to edit some video files (VOB files to be exact and recorded from DVD recorder) but always ended up the video doesn't synchro with the audio, may I know why?:nono:

I'm very happy with my Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder - the quality between the source and recording is not perceptible to my eyes.

consumer DV encodes the video in constant 25-Mbps DV25 format, very similar to MPEG. Only that in DV25 all the frames are I-frames (complete standalone frames to facilitate editing) unlike MEPG where the frames between I-frames stores only the "difference" between frames.

as bartman says, if you transfer using IEEE-1394 FireWire, it will be a digital copy. EXCEPT that your DVD recorder will transcode it into MPEG-2 at a lower bit rate. Best way is to import the DV media into a PC or Mac and use a professional editing suite such as Final Cut Pro to generate the target video format, plus also the menu and frills.

vince123123 said:
I'm very happy with my Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder - the quality between the source and recording is not perceptible to my eyes.
I second that. No complaints so far. Almost 2 years of abuse from me already.
Have also recorded videos from DV tape to DVD via the firewire link. Real-time, as mentioned by bartman.

Thank for all the advise! easier way is to buy a DVD recorder to burn into DVD. at first i am keen to use my pc to do the job, but got confuse which hardware to install!:dunno: some said must buy 3rd party video editing software and some said just use USB to connect DV camrecorder to your PC and some said must use i-link cable. until now i am abit lost at the computer part. maybe i might stick to DVD recorder to do the job, as long it is DVD quality:sweat:

yes, most bundled video editing software will not come with DVD mastering. Even those that is bundled with your DVD burner comes with only the basic edition. you want more features you will need to upgrade. part of the reason is that DVD format carries a royalty so these software maker must pay a fee to sell their encoders.

for casual user DVD recorder should be good enough.

Thank you! is there anybody are willing to let me burn one DV tape at their DVE recorder? just to see it quality?:think:

:) thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.