dvd ram or dvd +-R/RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahbeng

Jun 9, 2003
Visit site
did any body invest in one of these dvd ram or dvd +-R/RW drives? which is a more popular format by the way?

I supposed the market is heading towards dual format, ie +-R/RW. There are few drives in the market that supports +-R/RW, Sony, TDK, Pioneer. Either way, if you are purchasing for the purpose to archiving photos, it does not really matter which format.

I had invested in the TDK dual format recently. So far so good

Cheers

dvd-ram media are still very very expensive. it's more economical to get a dvd-+r/rw drive. you could choose one of the several the dual format drives or get a cheaper single format (+ or -) one.

ahbeng said:
did any body invest in one of these dvd ram or dvd +-R/RW drives? which is a more popular format by the way?

You should get a dual format drive that supports DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW. Forget about DVD-RAM, which is a format that is proprietary to Panasonic. A TDK dual format drive is around $370 in Sim Lim Square. Sony is more expensive, around $500.

Most drives are going to support the dual format. But I read somewhere that the DVD-R/RW is going to be the adopted standard. :)

Thus try not to get the DVD+R/RW format. :nono:

eh how much does a DVD cost roughly? cheaper if brought in bulk?

Mapman said:
Most drives are going to support the dual format. But I read somewhere that the DVD-R/RW is going to be the adopted standard. :)

Thus try not to get the DVD+R/RW format. :nono:
Debatable. Both are about the same functionally-wise. I don't see a reason why it has to be an either/or situation, particularly if there are DVD+-R/RW drives. I've written to DVD-R and DVD+R/W; both can be read by my DVD-ROM drive. Good enough.

DVD-RAM is deprecated. Don't bother

anyone know how long it takes to burn one DVD disc with the current standard writers?

tks!

Hmm...not bad what half an hr for 4.7GB+...

maybe i should get one ... $300+ did someone say? so cheap meh

Watcher said:
On my 2x DVD-R media filled to the brim (like 400kb left :D ), it took around 33 mins

vince123123 said:
Hmm...not bad what half an hr for 4.7GB+...

maybe i should get one ... $300+ did someone say? so cheap meh
Yeah, $370 cash at SLS. That is why I bought it. Cleared out quite a bit of my HDs. Used up 10 disks already and more to go :eek: :D

To do the usual stuff:

BUY! BUY! BUY! :gbounce:

-RW is compatible only with same players or the player with which the DVD-RW disc was recorded on, isn't it?

I noticed from a perusal of the list at hardwarezone that for those dvd writers with dual format support, usually the -RW/-R speed is faster than the +RW...e.g. got a drive which is 4x -RW/-R but only 2.4X for +R/+RW

the next qn would be...is there any catch? e.g. -R discs are more expensive etc.

Watcher said:
Yeah, $370 cash at SLS. That is why I bought it. Cleared out quite a bit of my HDs. Used up 10 disks already and more to go :eek: :D

To do the usual stuff:

BUY! BUY! BUY! :gbounce:

ernest_ted said:
I supposed the market is heading towards dual format, ie +-R/RW. There are few drives in the market that supports +-R/RW, Sony, TDK, Pioneer. Either way, if you are purchasing for the purpose to archiving photos, it does not really matter which format.

I had invested in the TDK dual format recently. So far so good

Cheers

have you tried on other brands of media such as "melody"? is it a noisy drive?

vince123123 said:
I noticed from a perusal of the list at hardwarezone that for those dvd writers with dual format support, usually the -RW/-R speed is faster than the +RW...e.g. got a drive which is 4x -RW/-R but only 2.4X for +R/+RW

the next qn would be...is there any catch? e.g. -R discs are more expensive etc.
Because the "-" format is older (by 2 years, IIRC), thus, they are faster for the moment. The "+" format is catching up soon (supposedly). The "-" format again, due to its maturity, has cheaper media at the same speed. Visit SLS or Funan to check out the prices. The issue is the compatibility with existing DVD (home entertainment) drives that they want to support. Technically, they are quite different but for the users, not noticable (to me anyway).

Note that I'm actually neutral to the standards. I just want them to work. Full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.