DVD-R

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2009
Hey guys, I just bought some DVD-R to backup my gigs of pictures. To my horror, when I insert the DVD into my disc drive, it shows 0 bytes free and I am unable to copy my files to the disc.

Anyone knows what is going wrong? Is my DVD drive incompatible with the DVD-R? How should I check if it is?

namespace

Feb 1, 2007
Hey guys, I just bought some DVD-R to backup my gigs of pictures. To my horror, when I insert the DVD into my disc drive, it shows 0 bytes free and I am unable to copy my files to the disc.

Anyone knows what is going wrong? Is my DVD drive incompatible with the DVD-R? How should I check if it is?
Hi, are you using Windows Exporer to drag and drop the files into the DVD-R or some CD / DVD recording software? Try using another disc or on another computer.

DVD is not a very reliable media for backing up. From my past experience, most of the data I've backed up on DVD media were not readable after few years. Probably the way I store the media. But I really don't advise using DVD media for archiving.

:)

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
which version of OS/windows are u using ? does it support drag and drop burning of DVDrs from explorer folder ?
Try getting a copy of dvd burning softwares like nero to burn. shld just work out fine.

btw get those better quality dvds. i usually burn 2 copies, one to stash for good. the other for occassional retrieval.

ryan

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
Other free programs fir Windows: CDBurnerXP, ImageBurn .. Explorer might not show the details correctly. Use these programs to check the media. Getting quality media helps preventing problems, too.

May 20, 2009
which version of OS/windows are u using ? does it support drag and drop burning of DVDrs from explorer folder ?
Try getting a copy of dvd burning softwares like nero to burn. shld just work out fine.

btw get those better quality dvds. i usually burn 2 copies, one to stash for good. the other for occassional retrieval.

ryan
Opps, I didn't know my system can't drag and drop to burn DVDs, I always do that when I burn CDs. Using Win XP. Tried with other software and it worked like a charm.

Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom