DVD Player for tethered shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking, how good is this method of previewing the image on a bigger screen? Anyone got experience and care to share?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xQmWPAcaKU

Thanks.
this is only for preview, not tethered shooting, cos you can't save or burn images into the DVD player.

anyway, you need a high image quality LCD, else the preview altho is big big, but also blur blur.

just tried it out... every photo appears soft/blur on the 7inch.... but sharp when i transfer to the 24inch computer monitor...

hmmm for instant preview, and must have 100% trust on the focusing accuracy

else, stick with a 15inch laptop better hehe

Now that MacBook Air is available in Singapore, my studio purchased one just for this purpose. It is so much lighter and more convenient than the MacBook Pro we had.

I tried using the DVD player for quick preview but the output was black and white. Wasted my money on the DVD player.

I tried using the DVD player for quick preview but the output was black and white. Wasted my money on the DVD player.

Did you set the colour system correctly on the TV? NTSC/PAL?

generally, portable DVD has 800x600 resolution or less, great for DVD as DVD movie are in 480/NTSC and 576/PAL. 800*600=480,000, lower spec player has even less at 640x480=307,200 pixel. not much higher than the 230,000 pixel LCD on most DSLR, and Nikon D3/D300 has a 922,000 pixel LCD.

its no wonder the >10Megapixel picture would look blurry on the portable DVD player screen.

thanks all for the input. it really made me rethink about this buying decision. I am searching for options to view the image taken on a bigger screen that's all (well, u know, many times u cannot see somethings clearly on the small little dSLR LCD) and i don like the idea of going with a laptop (of course, unless i am at home).

Another issue is the DSLR (depending on the model) may not even output the pictures at a resolution greater then 640 × 480 (with black bands on top & bottom as image is 3:2 ratio).

Even if connect to HD-Ready ( 1366 × 768 ) TV which is comparable to a WXGA Laptop display to display a 6MP picture from the DSLR, the picture may still be blur on the TV while it is sharp on the laptop.

thanks all for the input. it really made me rethink about this buying decision. I am searching for options to view the image taken on a bigger screen that's all (well, u know, many times u cannot see somethings clearly on the small little dSLR LCD) and i don like the idea of going with a laptop (of course, unless i am at home).

Get a Nikon D3 or D300 or the newer Sony Alphas. They've got HDMI output. Their LCD resolution is 922k pixels, that works out to be around 1108x832.

Status
Not open for further replies.