DVD in wrong region

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddog

Feb 13, 2002
Alexandra
maddog.clubsnap.org
I bought a DVD from a reputable shop only to find that it's encoded for region 1. Aren't there regulations restricting sales of DVD encoded in other regions? The DVD has a Singapore Board of Film Censors sticker on it. ;(

AFAIK, region 1, 3 and All are widely sold in SG :dunno:

I have no idea, but this has been the case for quite some time already, it was supposed to stop piracy actually, but slowly they're remove this stupid region thingie or so it seems .

Cos R1s are normally uncut versions of the movie.. you just have to pay more.. I have lots of R1/R2 DVDs at home :)

maddog said:
I bought a DVD from a reputable shop only to find that it's encoded for region 1. Aren't there regulations restricting sales of DVD encoded in other regions? The DVD has a Singapore Board of Film Censors sticker on it. ;(

It has been like this since DVD first arrive in SG. :bsmilie: It is also because in the initial launch of DVDs, there aren't many R3 DVDs avaliable in SG. So R1, whose selection is wider is the more popular one.

tantingchin said:
may i know what is region 1 2 3? :dunno: totally lost....

thanks!

Region 1 - The U.S., U.S. territories and Canada
Region 2 - Europe, Japan, the Middle East, Egypt, South Africa, Greenland
Region 3 - Taiwan, Korea, the Philippines, Indonesia, Hong Kong
Region 4 - Mexico, South America, Central America, Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Caribbean
Region 5 - Russia (okay, former Russia), Eastern Europe, India, most of Africa, North Korea, Mongolia
Region 6 - China

Most dvd shops will stock region 1 and 3. R1 dvds are the best of the lot if you're looking at non asian films because they'll be loaded with more extras than other regions. If you look at the back of the case, there'll be a region code written in one of the boxes. The region exclusivity restriction has been totally bypassed since a while back thanks to region free dvd players. You still have to watch out when buying a new dvd player especially at sales where they might try to sell a region locked dvd player cheap because they know no one will take them.

maddog said:
DVD player connected to TV.

Oh... But most of the DVD player sets now are all multi-coded, meaning that they can play almost any region code. There may be a setting somewhere that you may have missed? Usually it is located in the OSD (On-Screen Display) Control.

espn said:
I have no idea, but this has been the case for quite some time already, it was supposed to stop piracy actually, but slowly they're remove this stupid region thingie or so it seems .

The region thing are not really meant to stop piracy iirc, it's to control the release of movies in regions. For example, some US movies might be released as late as one year later in other regions, e.g. Japan, UK, China

As Video Cassettes/DVD usually would be released probably 6-9 months after its initial release, the movie studios just want to make sure when the movie is released in other region, they can make more $$$ from the ticket sales.

Thanks for the correction, my understanding was otherwise ;)

Anyway most DVD players in stores play without regards to region, I have 3 DVD players at home that can play any DVD I slot in.

most dvd players sold in sg either is region lock 3 or region free...

anyway, fyi... LOTR and some dvds like Pirates of the Carribean came in only with Region 1 for local sales, then later batches are hong kong region 3s. so which is considered imports?

espn said:
Anyway most DVD players in stores play without regards to region, I have 3 DVD players at home that can play any DVD I slot in.

3 only ? i have 4 :D but 1 is not region free though, which is the dvd writer ;p

yup, although its labeled Region 3 on the box, almost all dvd players are region free now :thumbsup:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
anyway, fyi... LOTR and some dvds like Pirates of the Carribean came in only with Region 1 for local sales, then later batches are hong kong region 3s. so which is considered imports?

now in the market is super cheap R6 DVDs, from China, at around $10 each for Hollywood movies, older ones. Also available in the market are music CDs from China. e.g. F.I.R's latest album, costs S$20.90 for SG version, China version only S$9.90 !

There's also the reason that DVDs from region 1 contains better content than their R3 counterparts.

Between R3 and R1 .. i'll take the R1 though it costs more .... features and build wise is ALWAYS better than their R3 counterparts. Especially if you're an audiophile / HT-holic like me ... :bsmilie:

Anyway, your PC / laptop's drive should be able to play multiregion DVDs.

I recommend using Pioneer DVD players since they do not need to be modded in anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.