DUST!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

curly87

Sep 9, 2008
i'm so sad... i have this very clear speck of black thingy that i can see through my view finder.... but i cant see it on the sensor or the mirror...i think it is on my view finder?

how do i remove it?

my camera is still under warrenty... should i send it in for cleaning? is it free? are the canon ppl pro?

so sad....

Hi, it's most probably a speck of dust stuck on the pentaprism of your camera (the angled mirror in front of your viewfinder that reflects the image on your mirror). Best solution? Leave it alone as it doesn't affect your picture. If it does affect your picture, then it's dust on your sensor.

If you really, really can't stand the sight of it then you might wanna send it to the repair folks and get them to remove that speck.

Dont need to send in to service centre, unless u wanna waste money.

Get a Giotto rocket blower for ard $12+ and blow upward at the focusing screen(on top mirror), if the dust is indeed on the focusing screen it should come off. If not, sorry it's between the pentamirror/pentaprism and VF unit which is very difficult to remove.

PS: And should anyone advise using cotton bud, i'll be careful with that since even with the dSLR in (manual)Sensor Cleaning Mode, static still exists in the mirror area so if u're not careful u can have more cotton strands inside after ur cleaning.

Last edited:
i sent my sensor for cleaning, also asking them to clear the dusts inside my VF. guess wat? the dust was still on my VF when i took the camera back.

btw it doesn't really affect much right?

i sent my sensor for cleaning, also asking them to clear the dusts inside my VF. guess wat? the dust was still on my VF when i took the camera back.

Cleaning the dust inside VF requires a complete strip down which is akin to "Complete Servicing" to the Service Centre and they wont do it with Sensor cleaning because they charge more for that. :D

Dust on the VF will not affect your images.

It's best to let it be; I don't think the local service centres have dust-free workshops, so opening up your camera would just introduce more dust.

LOL i face the same problem.disgusted by the sight of it ya?Perhap you should just live with it.It does not affect the sensor anyway.

i'm so sad... i have this very clear speck of black thingy that i can see through my view finder.... but i cant see it on the sensor or the mirror...i think it is on my view finder?

how do i remove it?

my camera is still under warrenty... should i send it in for cleaning? is it free? are the canon ppl pro?

so sad....

That's dust on your focusing screen. I always clean it on my own. You can unclip it and clean it, then clip it back.

thanks guys... sorry i have been busy...

yea... it bothered me for abit because it's quite new... the camera i mean... and i felt guilty for not taking "care" of it in some ways... i mean i always wipe and clean my camera so i was quite sad that there was dust inside....

but just to update... after a few weeks of.... occasionally blowing,...... it finally disappear =D so happy..... but i think the dust is now just somewhere else in the camera right? there is no way of fully sucking the dust out?

how did the cluster of dust even start forming inside? i mean how did it became a cluster?? can tell me like how? to that maybe i can prevent it from happening??? cos i seriously hate such things..haha:cry:

how did the cluster of dust even start forming inside? i mean how did it became a cluster?? can tell me like how? to that maybe i can prevent it from happening??? cos i seriously hate such things..haha:cry:

How did that speck of dust find its way next to you on your left, and on your right, and on your clothes, and in your wardrobe and I could go on forever.

Look, fact of the matter is dust is everywhere, so try not to bother about it so much. Dust in your VF is the least of your worries. A major dust bunny on your sensor that shows up at f/2.8 is a cause for concern (and I have had that before).

Know how to properly remedy these simple situations (by usage of a blower, most commonly), and some common sense (like don't try and touch your focusing screen with ANYTHING AT ALL) will ensure you are safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.