DUST

Status
Not open for further replies.

crysmatch

May 2, 2008
there's dusts n other thing inside my camera (D40), in the mirror to be exact. i try to clean it up wit air blower but like inviting more dust inside... so can i clean it my own, wit what? wipe wit cloth? or i have to bring it down to svc cntr? i'm not singaporean, so could anybody tell me where's one nearby? (harbour front)

there's dusts n other thing inside my camera (D40), in the mirror to be exact. i try to clean it up wit air blower but like inviting more dust inside... so can i clean it my own, wit what? wipe wit cloth? or i have to bring it down to svc cntr? i'm not singaporean, so could anybody tell me where's one nearby? (harbour front)

You sound like a complete newbie to cleaning out your D40's interior. Normally I would advice that you send it in to the Nikon SVC centre but are you staying here or a tourist since you mentioned you are not Singaporean. Sending it in will take more than just a few days.

Cleaning it yourself is an exercise in giving yourself some heart attacks especially if you are not nimble with your fingers and not using the right tools ( be it bought or home made) I would advice you to try again a few times to use the rubber air puff to try toi remove the dust. Did you remove the brush attachment on your air puffer? Remove it if you have not already done so as this will improve the jet stream of the air directed at the general region when you think dust are sticking to the CCD sensor. Never use a cloth wrap around your finger and insert into the interior to try to clean the sensor surface or worth the velvet black wall of the camera as tiny fibre bits of the cloth might come loose and stick to the velvet wall which make removing even harder and the fibre will have also an influnece on light come in too or get dislodge later on and land on the sensor.

The better way though it will not be easy is to buy a sensor cleaning kit from anyone of the local photography shots like Cathay Photo...etc. If you don;t know where to locate their shop details in CS here you need to be shot!:devil:

Now if you are a tourist, bear with it and wait till you get back home and then sent it to the shop to get it done. Dust and other specks are part and parcel of playing with DSLRS. They don't need to come in by way of you exchanging your lens each time but it can come in via your zooms too as they are not air tight.

Try the air puffer again without the brush. Did you make sure that you trigger your camera's mirror to lock in the up position before you puff air into it? If your mirror lock is up, you should be able to see your sensor right at the back of the camera. Once you have lock the mirror to the up position and out of the way, do this in a room like your bedroom, what you can do next is aim the opening of the camera's lens coupling downward at the floor or at least 45 degree angle. This way when you blow the air in ...it moves the dust and speck about as they are very light and will float. By having the camera lens opening aimed downward at the floor, each time an puff of air jets in, the dusts will head downwards and out of the camers opening as gravity will pull it down.

AIming your lens upward will just make the dust settle back down on the sensor. So aim your camera's len coupling side downward at the floor. Now you can have the end tip of the nozzle to the air puffer inside the camera. Just don't touch the wall or the lens. Insert the nozzle about 1 cm ( depending on how confident you are) from the sensor and as the air comes out of the nozzle, you pull it out at the same time, this way as the air puffs in to dislodge the particles, it has a larger place to fly out. Now this may or maynot get all the dust particles out as some might be stuck to the surface of the sensor. In those cases you either send it in to be cleaned for you or you buy a home kit and do it yourself.

Make your own home kit to clean the sensor is not hard but use the wrong tools or you exert more force then you should..etc, you can scratch your sensor's glass coat. Yes, your sensor has a protective glass coat to protect it from strong abrasion but not so strong that it can withstand very sharp or rough surfaces that is touching it.

I clean my own DSLR sensor but I do it knowing I might damage it. So I am telling you the same thing. If you want to take the route of DIY...you have no one to blame but yourself if something bad happens to it. So please take this pointer to DIY with a pinch of salt and precaution. This are what you can do. So choose wisely the course of action you are comfortable with.

always make sure u turn ur lens mount downwards...

thanks alot guys... i'm not tourist, say it i will be on singapore till the end of october, so i will try to clean it again, n yes i'm really new here, just got my first dust problem, really scare me off.. cos i can see it in the picture i take when i use small aperture.

Alternatively, I dont use small aperture that often :)
Do we?

Status
Not open for further replies.