dust spot or not ?

rachy588

Jun 20, 2010
I have a small dot on my image that appears when i set my aperture at the smallest(f22) but it disappear when i set it at the largest(f2.8). Is this a dust spot or something else ? It seems to be a problem with the body because i tried it with other lenses the spot still appear.

rachy588 said:
I have a small dot on my image that appears when i set my aperture at the smallest(f22) but it disappear when i set it at the largest(f2.8). Is this a dust spot or something else ? It seems to be a problem with the body because i tried it with other lenses the spot still appear.

Think its dust on sensor, set to mirrior up mode, cam face down and use a blower to blow it off,

Hope its not those stubborn dust.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
rachy588 said:

Post a picture. Or it's hard to tell.

Based on your description, it's most likely to be a dust spot.

Please provide a picture showing the spot for better illustration so that others can give you appropriate advice.

This is taken with a tokina 11-16 at 16mm f22
6edob5.jpg

Taken with Nikon 50mm 1.8 at f22
2j0b1ie.jpg

2kkchc.jpg

Taken with Tokina 11-16 at f22

5ap7xy.jpg

jayl54.jpg

can i clean it myself or do i need to send it for servicing ?

rachy588 said:
can i clean it myself or do i need to send it for servicing ?

You can either do it yourself, just get sensor swabs and cleaning solution or send it to the service center.

many thanks pple! so its dust on the sensor right ?

yes. at wider apertures you won't see the dust appearing in your images. but when you have smaller apertures, the dust will appear and become more obvious.

so to check whether your sensor has dust on it, just close it up to something smaller like F16 and those spots will be more obvious.

many thanks pple! so its dust on the sensor right ?

Yep looks like it... anyway cleaning your sensor is very simple.

First remove your lens, give the camera a few good blow of the rocket blower with the camera facing down. Then assess your sensor (there should be a command in your menu), and give it a few good blow of the rocket blower, with camera facing down.

Then test, mount your camera to a tripod, set to a small aperture (F16 and above), face a white surface... and shoot.

If you still find the spots, then use a sensor swab (coupled with sensor cleaning fluid), these can be bought from Cathay Photo (I think other camera shop also have). Then follow to instruction on the sensor swab box and clean... should be able to remove most stain, dirt and stuff like that. But before you use the sensor swab, be sure to give your camera one more blow to ensure that there are no hard particles are not on the sensor anymore.

easiest way to test sensor dust, take off lens and take 1 photo on a white bg. still see the dot there? sensor dust.

normally a few blows with a blower should do it;)

er wait. it looks more like dust on lens than sensor.

tried shooting with a white background but my camera cant seems to shoot. if just kept focusing.

what type of cleaning solution can we use?

Er how come the spot moves around?

If you zoom your lenses and take shots are different focal lengths, and the spot moves, then the dust is not on the sensor.

For dust spots to appear clearly on lens, it is resting on an element that very close to the aperture opening.

it's a bird.

bound to have dust la, even if you clean now it'll come back in another place.

Just learn to use the clone tool.