Dust specks... on lens/sensor/in the air?

martellkr

Jul 11, 2010
Hi boys & girls,

Got myself some new lens and went shooting at night... tried firing the built-in flash (testing) and this pic was the result...

IMG_3193.jpg

Is the dust on the lens, or on the sensor, or just floating around in the air?
I tried 30 seconds exposure on the same lens and body without the dust specks appearing.

Anyone knows? Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Are you using a UV filter?

If the "specks" only appear when you fire the flash or when there are bright lights, then I would suggest trying the same shot without the UV filter. If the "specks" go away, you have your answer.

I am presuming you have also cleaned your lens (and filter if applicable)?

SeldomHere

May i know when was this photo taken, and where was that place?

It was taken at Vivo 3rd floor roof looking towards Sentosa. Taken last night.

Are you using a UV filter?

If the "specks" only appear when you fire the flash or when there are bright lights, then I would suggest trying the same shot without the UV filter. If the "specks" go away, you have your answer.

I am presuming you have also cleaned your lens (and filter if applicable)?

Filter and lens are about 1 day old... the specks seem to appear only during flash for this lens. Was shooting fireworks few weeks back (with another lens/filter) and without flash, seem to get those "orbs" too. Hoping it isnt the sensor.

Got myself some new lens and went shooting at night... tried firing the built-in flash (testing) and this pic was the result...
Hope it's clear now how pointless it is firing your tiny onboard flash on a scenery like this. A little bit of the tree gets brighter, the rest is completely unaffected. But in return you have a nice picture of particles in the air :bigeyes: Something for NEA ;)

haha yea... the in built flash stays dormant most of the time. :p

Those orbs are dust.
I encountered them when i use flash in dark dusty environment like old changi hospital. these are the dust that are near to you relative to the subject (your landscape). They looked so big becoz they were out of focus as you focused on landscape.