Dust specks in SLR mirror?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wzx

Hi, besides using the blower is there any way to get rid of stubborn dust in the mirror ? Cos thru the viewfinder keep seeing 2 specks. will that affect the picture taken? Thanks!

The mirror flips up when the camera is taking the picture so the 2 specks shouldn't affect the picture at all.

wzx said:
Hi, besides using the blower is there any way to get rid of stubborn dust in the mirror ? Cos thru the viewfinder keep seeing 2 specks. will that affect the picture taken? Thanks!
The specks may not be on the mirror, it could be on the focussing screen or in the pentaprism. If on the mirror, it would be a blessing as they could be easily removed.

Barrios said:
The specks may not be on the mirror, it could be on the focussing screen or in the pentaprism. If on the mirror, it would be a blessing as they could be easily removed.

Hi, Is that a problem that should be dealt with & will that affect the picture in any way? thanks

wzx said:
Hi, Is that a problem that should be dealt with & will that affect the picture in any way? thanks
As long as the dirt is not in the lens big enough to be visible through the viewfinder, it will not show up on the photos. :D

wzx said:

Leave it alone. Avoid touching the mirror yourself in case you scratch it. It does not affect the image quality, and unless it obstructs your vision, its not doing any harm. You can send it for professionaly cleaning if you want.

the mirror i simply use t-shirt to clean it :bsmilie: wont die one... so no worry :)

it irritating when it stuck on the upper side of the focussing screen... i cant get it off my camera... sucks... so have to live with it or send for cleaning lor.

clive said:
the mirror i simply use t-shirt to clean it :bsmilie: wont die one... so no worry :)

The mirror is surface coated, unlike normal mirrors which is a layer a glass over a silver coat. Don't scratch the coating. It will irritate you a LOT more than the specks of dust.

BTW, if it's film, just ignore it. If it's a digital SLR, better get rid of it before it finds its way behind the mirror, behind the shutter, and onto the sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.