[dust problem] Big enough to appear in image?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahblack

Jan 24, 2014
Singapore (west)
Hi guys, I have a few questions to ask, and it's about dust inside lens.

This happened to my newly arrived Helios 44, and I totally understand dust trapped in such old lens is inevitable. But, the question is, is it going to show up in photo with this kind of dust?

Dust 1 by ah.b|ack's s6nse, on Flickr

Dust 2 by ah.b|ack's s6nse, on Flickr

I never seen such big dusts inside my lens, so I'm just wondering how will it impact the photo.

I know it's easy to remove the dust from image in PP, but since I just received the lens, I still have a chance to return the lens to seller. The photo in the listing clearly didn't show the dusts.

Just to be clear, the reason why I don't want to test it with my camera, is because I can't... My m42-FX lens turbo hasn't reach my place yet, and I don't own a normal adapter. The return period is just 5 days upon receive the package, so I hope you all can understand my situation.

Many thanks!!

Edit:
Attached a link to the photo from the listing.
http://www.obuvka.info/AAA-Helios-44-2-8816307-b.html

Last edited:
You can never avoid dust in lens. Even if it is dust free now, dust will settle in the lens sooner or later.

Most dust will not show up in the pictures. Only dust spots on elements that are very close to the aperture bladrs may show a little if stopped down. And that only happens if the lens design have an element close to the aperture blade

Thank you daredevil123 for the reply.

I checked the lens again, and I think the big dusts in trapper in between the rear element and 4/5th element (counting from front of course). So I assume it's not really close to the blade.

I really hate to return the lens, as the condition is really good! It comes with hard case the caps and I paid a "ok" price for it. Hopefully my adapter can arrive in these few days...

Thank you daredevil123.

Btw, if I need to clean the lens, who should I contact? I know he got mentioned quite a lot of times in the forum, but his name slipped through my mind... Fatigue or something?

Thank you daredevil123 for the reply.

I checked the lens again, and I think the big dusts in trapper in between the rear element and 4/5th element (counting from front of course). So I assume it's not really close to the blade.

I really hate to return the lens, as the condition is really good! It comes with hard case the caps and I paid a "ok" price for it. Hopefully my adapter can arrive in these few days...

Thank you daredevil123.

Btw, if I need to clean the lens, who should I contact? I know he got mentioned quite a lot of times in the forum, but his name slipped through my mind... Fatigue or something?

Yes Fatigue. David is his real name. Just do a search and you can find his contact.

Hi guys, it turned out like what bro Fatigue told me, the dust doesn't appear in any of the photo! Question answered, so thread close!

Thank you Clubsnap!

There is a simple test to determine this for sure. It is the same as checking for sensor dust:
Lowest ISO, aperture 16 or higher, Av mode, lens focused at infinity. Take a picture of a white wall where you move the camera to blur anything. Take multiple picture and compare them side by side. Dust will show up as spots in the frame, all in the same place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.