Dust particulars found inside the view finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenzi

Dec 16, 2008
Seng Kang
www.flickr.com
Dear all
I noticed that there are some dust particulars forming inside the view finder. Can we clean and remove them ourselves or we must send to a camera shop? If so, any shop to recommend and the average cost to clean it?

I’m using istDS model.

Thanks and regards

perhaps you could try to use a blower to blow at the focusing screen after removing the lens.. if the dust is on the top side of the focusing screen then you'll have to remove the focusing screen first. the process is quite simple once you know how, but you risk damage if you're careless and have to fiddle around to get it aligned properly when reinstalling.

the dust on the focusing screen won't affect the picture so you could just leave it alone.

perhaps you could try to use a blower to blow at the focusing screen after removing the lens.. if the dust is on the top side of the focusing screen then you'll have to remove the focusing screen first. the process is quite simple once you know how, but you risk damage if you're careless and have to fiddle around to get it aligned properly when reinstalling.

the dust on the focusing screen won't affect the picture so you could just leave it alone.

Hi darrrrrrrrrr
Thanks for the reply. Will try and if can't, will leave it at the moment. Normally will you send you camera for regular servicing?

Sorry about all these questions as I'm new to DSLR. Previously using normal digital camera which don't have all this problems :)

regards

i know how to remove the focusing screen of my K100DS as i used to have a split-screen installed. since i sold it off i haven't had to remove it anymore.. if there's dust it's usually on the underside so a few puffs (CAREFUL NOT TO HIT THE MIRROR) will solve the problem for me. if it's a few tiny specks i might leave them there, sometimes they go away by themselves..

if there's nothing wrong with my camera i don't send it in.. haha it's not like a car that needs maintenance every 10,000km. i will feel very "naked" without having my camera around.

The holder for the focusing screen on the DS is vey easy to open to remove the screen. Just a little push on the tab to open. I clean the screen myself but once i was careless and dropped it. Now the focusing screen is scratched.:(

Just leave it. This type of things gets worse the more you try to clean it up. Sometimes the dust is stucked between the prism and body and there's no way you can reach it. Even the service centre may find it hard to clean unless they have a clean room.

I have dust in my viewfinder too.....i went to the Singapore Nikon service center to get it remove... but they said such thing is not covered by the 1-year warranty ...if I do want to send it in ....they will be charging me $120........ which is absolutely super ridiculous !!.....

Hi guys
thanks for the replies and help. Think I'll have to bear with it for the mean time.

:angel:
Thank you....

Just leave it. This type of things gets worse the more you try to clean it up. Sometimes the dust is stucked between the prism and body and there's no way you can reach it. Even the service centre may find it hard to clean unless they have a clean room.

if I do want to send it in ....they will be charging me $120........ which is absolutely super ridiculous !!.....

I should be bringing my DSLR to work more often then. :devil:

dust is everywhere, if it isn't too much of a hindrance, let it be. :)

Dear all
I noticed that there are some dust particulars

its dust particles

If you think it needs some cleaning, I think it is best to send it to the professionals especially if you're not sure. You could get the focussing screen scratched or oils on it and other unwanted things. I learnt that the hard way.

mine is very dust infested and i dont give a damn about it. the only concern is, the sensor gets dusty easily too.

I will send in for service if the sensor is infested with dust:bsmilie: provided my pentax kit (dust remover cannot do the job). Any other part, focusing screen, mirror is fine cos it does not affect image. It may cost money to send in for servicing too. For my sensor cleaning, I am doing it myself too.

otc

Status
Not open for further replies.