Dust on sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChenGuy

May 18, 2009
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, after reading some post and seeing some pix. i realise that dust on the sensor create black spot. So i tried it on my cam, i took a pix of a plain wall, with aperture set to f16. I do see some black spot too, dat means i have dust on my sensor too rite? So i bought a blower and tried cleaning it. And it seems to help abit but there are still some black spot in the image. Is it possible that these dust can be cleaned away 100%? Pls advice as i am very new to photography. Worried :(

Hi guys, after reading some post and seeing some pix. i realise that dust on the sensor create black spot. So i tried it on my cam, i took a pix of a plain wall, with aperture set to f16. I do see some black spot too, dat means i have dust on my sensor too rite? So i bought a blower and tried cleaning it. And it seems to help abit but there are still some black spot in the image. Is it possible that these dust can be cleaned away 100%? Pls advice as i am very new to photography. Worried :(

Yes they can be cleaned away... either dry or wet method.

100% no... but good enuff that it will not affect your photo.

BTW... did you flipped up the mirror before blowing on the sensor?

Last edited:
Yes they can be cleaned away... either dry or wet method.

100% no... but good enuff that it will not affect your photo.

BTW... did you flipped up the mirror before blowing on the sensor?

Wet or dry? how? can dis be done by ourself?
yup i did flip up the mirror. So the sensor can nv be 100% dust free?
Which means to say there will definately be some blackspot?
Please correct me if i am wrong. Thanks

Dusk speck will become more noticeable on f22. Lock up mirror and try use blower to remove, if fail, send for sensor cleaning if it really affect ur image. NSC charge abt $25, can collect within one hour. Do not try to wipe it urself. :nono:

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys. So if i send it to NSC to clean it, it will be 100% clean? even at f 22 it wun be noticable? Am i going the wrong direction? shld i be more concern weather the dust will affect the image or dust at the sensor is jus unacceptable? Thanks.

Send it to NSC to clean. After they clean, you can take a shot of something white at NSC and check that it's fully clean. If not, just send it in again.
It CAN be 100% clean without the risk of cleaning yourself.

I am new here. Can someone enlighted what does NSC stand for and where is it? Tks

NSC = Nikon Service Center.

Wet or dry? how? can dis be done by ourself?

can, but you must have the right tools

and get someone who knows how to do it to show you once, how to do it

or you can always trial and error yourself, that's what i did. i have been cleaning my own sensors for near to 3 years now, and nothing's ever happened and i don't have to run down crying to servicing centres everytime i have dust, which is quite often.

if you don't have the confidence, better to go to servicing centre. it is a hassle though, not just because they charge, but also because you have to travel.

for cleaning your own sensor, you will need:

1) sensor swabs
2) eclipse or e2 cleaning solution

all from photographic solutions, most major stores will have. for everything else regarding information on this, google is your best friend.

hmmm.. thanks so much for all the advices and answer. Probably will get it clean some day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.