dust on sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fibredrive

Mar 18, 2009
hi folks,

wondering if anyone can tell me the probable cause of the stupid black spot in my photos? took a whole bunch today but all ruined by the black spot which i didn't notice till now...thanks in advance.

pardon the photo, still learning how to use the camera...:embrass:

imagedtj.jpg

yep. looks very much like a nice spot of dirt on the sensor.

ps* watch the tilted horizon.

yes, sensor spot. Time for photoshop or lightroom to fix it

thanks for the quick replies. and noted the horizon tilt! thanks!

so would a bit of DIY sensor cleaning help? quick google on the topic seems to reveal a sea of techniques...thanks!

thanks for the quick replies. and noted the horizon tilt! thanks!

so would a bit of DIY sensor cleaning help? quick google on the topic seems to reveal a sea of techniques...thanks!

Use a blower
hand press blower.

dust on sensor..

try searching on youtube for guide,i did that too..quite safe.:)

thanks folks. tried to remove it with blower. but still there. guess i would have to bring it in for a look. any idea how much camera shops charge for cleaning the sensor? and any recommended ones? thanks!

send to Canon Service Centre. They charged $20 plus GST. or DIY, which is quite easy too.

thanks folks. tried to remove it with blower. but still there. guess i would have to bring it in for a look. any idea how much camera shops charge for cleaning the sensor? and any recommended ones? thanks!

Might want to try blowing very close, I did that on my 40D ( the dust spot was bigger), and it worked.

Just be careful not to touch the sensor. If it persists, the Canon Service Centre is good, according to LifeInMacro.

many thanks for the quick replies!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: it worked after another try!! thank God! phew. faced down and placed the blower closer. did a couple of test shots in PS with a white background and it seems that the spot is gone.

thanks again folks!

I don't wanna be a wet blanket, but another dust spot will appear again before you know it... And the cycle continues...

I don't wanna be a wet blanket, but another dust spot will appear again before you know it... And the cycle continues...

and then, after a while, the blower is not working..

then time to learn how to diy clean, instead of running down to servicing centres all the time.. unless light user anywyas.. :bsmilie:

and then you start to be immune to those particles, till they appear at f/8 or less..

not possible to keep a spotless sensor.. unless you just keep it in the dry cabi and admire it from outside...

many thanks for the quick replies!

:thumbsup::thumbsup: it worked after another try!! thank God! phew. faced down and placed the blower closer. did a couple of test shots in PS with a white background and it seems that the spot is gone.

thanks again folks!

your test shots, done at f/22?

if you did it at f/1.4.. then your dust spot, unless is big monster dust, will not appear.. probably.. :)

to check whether your sensor is clean:
- aperture priority f/22 or whatever the max on your lens
- shot against a white and clean wall in your house
- load file into Photoshop
- go to Autolevels

Voila - so dirty is your sensor. Pretty scary.

hi folks, sounds like alot of work ahead! guess sensor cleaning is a skill i need to learn fast! so what do you guys use to clean your sensors? any recommendations on kits and where to get them? saw some youtube video the fella use "Dust-Aid" and it's like a sticky substance. i doubt i'll ever do that!

btrenkel - thanks for the tips. and yep, i shot at f/22 against a white photoshopped background and auto levelled the resulting jpg image. i did a before and after cleaning shot to ensure i got the pesky little fella out of the way. i then activated the auto sensor cleaning option in my camera as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.