Dust on sensor - Should I be worried ? [Pic included]

Andrewkb

Aug 30, 2004
Singapore
Normal shots look ok, but when I do the recommended "sensor check" (unfocussed, f22), I see this.

Should I be worried ? Or just leave it ?

Recommendation ?

Click to view pic

Last edited:
Normal shots look ok, but when I do the recommended "sensor check" (unfocussed, f22), I see this.

Recommendation ?

Click to view pic

Seems like quite a few dots and a dark mark. You shouldn't be worried because its not damaging your camera in any way. Whether to have it cleaned is all up to you, are the spots bothering you? If not then you can leave it.

Last edited:
thats quite dusty actually.
just send your camera to the service centre to have it cleaned, should be less than $30.

just send for cleaning lor . . . :)

i think it bothers TS . . . else won't post here . . . right ? :think:

Saw the diy article, but this is a Canon with sensor cleaning, which I understand has a low pass filter in front of the sensor, so no DIY possible?

I just bought the cam used, so wondering if it's acceptable. Else gotta go service center.

Normal shots look ok though so far.

Saw the diy article, but this is a Canon with sensor cleaning, which I understand has a low pass filter in front of the sensor, so no DIY possible?

I just bought the cam used, so wondering if it's acceptable. Else gotta go service center.

Normal shots look ok though so far.

if u are unsure of doing it yourself, always pay the professionals to do the job. unless you want your cam to RIP.

Commonly it's called 'sensor cleaning', but actually it's nearly always the low pass filter that gets dirty and needs cleaning. There are only a very few cameras out there without this filter.

Recommendation ?

Click to view pic

what 's so worrisome - if you no confidence to clean it, just send to service centre.

if you got confidence, just do it.

the dust won['t multiply and eat up your camera.!

what 's so worrisome - if you no confidence to clean it, just send to service centre.

if you got confidence, just do it.

the dust won['t multiply and eat up your camera.!

but he may accidentally scratch his sensor then ouchies ;p

dust on sensor is inevitable... how many trips are you going to make to the service center to get your sensor clean? learn how to clean the sensor. it is not that difficult.

To TS, if the dust only appear at f16, f22 and you don't shoot at these aperture, you can live with it. :D

Thanks for all the reply. Getting a friend to help clean it. If it doesn't work, guess will go service center.

Recommendation ?

Click to view pic

seems quite abit of dust there and a dark patch. Suggest you send to Canon to clean it up. $21.40 about 30mins job. After the cleaning, test again to ensure they did a thorough job.

Practice the correct way to change lenses to minimise dust from entering the body.

With the help of a friend who cleaned the sensor for me, this is the AFTER cleaning result:
After Cleaning

I AM IMPRESSED !

Only one tiny dot on the upper right is constant, 99.9% of the other dirts are all gone now.

I also do my own sensor filter cleaning. After cleaning, there was a drastic improvement. But there are still some stubborn spots which refused to be cleaned off. Any idea how to get rid of them?

They can be seen even without performing auto-levels in Photoshop.

but he may accidentally scratch his sensor then ouchies ;p

i don't know how people scratch their sensor, i have only heard of one cuckoo case all these years....

i mean, if you put the pec pad on the screwdriver that is too big for the pec pad, and swipe your sensor repeatedly, you should be expecting a scratch on your sensor, it's common sense.

I also do my own sensor filter cleaning. After cleaning, there was a drastic improvement. But there are still some stubborn spots which refused to be cleaned off. Any idea how to get rid of them?

They can be seen even without performing auto-levels in Photoshop.

how do you clean? blow only?

if you are using wet cleaning and there are still spots, then it means you are not doing it properly, simple as that.