Dust inside the lens....

doverdover

Deregistered
Jan 29, 2012
Got a few lens with dust inside....85mm 1.8, 35mm 1.4.....filters are on, lens are stored in dry cabinet. How come the dust can get in?

Is there anyway to remove it? CSC charge 80 dollars or more to remove it. Can bargin with CSC?

Thanks

Search..Read.
Search again. Read some more.

dust will get into ur lens if u use them. its normal. depending on how much dust there is, and if its noticeable in ur images, u could think of getting it cleaned. but unless u shoot at f22 and such, u probably will not notice dust, unless its pretty severe - at least thats how its been in my experience. i doubt u can bargain with CSC. $80 isnt cheap, but if its affecting ur images, i think its worth it. but be aware that its perfectly normal, and no dry cabinet or protective filter will keep ur lens completely free of dust. unless u never use it :)

Got a few lens with dust inside....85mm 1.8, 35mm 1.4.....filters are on, lens are stored in dry cabinet. How come the dust can get in?
It's a dry cabinet, not a dust proof cabinet. Don't expect it to do thing which it is not designed for. Show me where the lens manufacturer stated 'dust proof'. Go figure..
Is there anyway to remove it? CSC charge 80 dollars or more to remove it. Can bargin with CSC?
Does your boss come to you and bargains "Ah, can work for 20% discount next months?" - what would you answer?
Dust can be removed, but it will return.
Apart from searching the forum you could also use Google .. just to find the same answers given here already.
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/08/the-apocalypse-of-lens-dust

Don't try to bargain at CSC. I think the results will be fairly embarrassing.

Why so worry about dust?

Most of my lens have dust inside also and I'm still using the lens. So long it doesn't affect my photo

Last edited:
Unless the dust directly affects your image, it shouldn't be a problem lol! Lenses breathe, even primes. And thus dust will eventually get in and settle on the glad elements inside. It shouldn't be anything too big to block your shots though.

Dust lens will still get into primes and internal focus lens.... firstly this lens are not air tight and when you focus such lens, the internal elements shift about to bring the picture in focus... there may be minute air pressure changes that sucks air in and out of lens... thus dust will get in...

Don't worry bout dust found in your lens... its perfectly normal.. you should worry if your sensor have dust....

TS should see some of my lens :D

My motto... if it don't affect the pic quality, leave it. No point dismantling your entire lens just to remove a few dust from it... and reassemble it... chances are you might do something wrong and get your lens all screwed up.

Thanks

i don't understand the question.

So far my 17-55 is dust free. :) but I know, soon or later sure will have dust. Cos I also see dust on 24-70 L lens too.

From my experience, 70-200 is almost dust free....I took it with me to travel in rural area for one month...still got no dust inside the lens.

Thanks

Because dust is everywhere and there is no stopping it. Unless you store the lens in a vacuum where there is no other matter present.

I wont' be too concerned about it, actually. If it doesn't affect pictures, who cares?

From my experience, 70-200 is almost dust free....I took it with me to travel in rural area for one month...still got no dust inside the lens.

huh? my 70-200mm f4L is pretty dusty... I bring it everywhere with me...

Anyway, I am used to dusty looking lens, afterall, if it won't affect my pic, I would leave it alone.

huh? my 70-200mm f4L is pretty dusty... I bring it everywhere with me...

Anyway, I am used to dusty looking lens, afterall, if it won't affect my pic, I would leave it alone.

I just checked my 70-200 f4 IS, it really dust free. it has been to Peru and Chile with me for one month....it is pretty dirty over there. I need to wash my camera skin after the trip. However, 70-200 got no dust inside the len. Maybe because I always put it in a pouch after using it.

The most dusty lens is my 100-400 L lens.....I hope I can sell it soon....

dust dont really matter .. i have seen some link online (forgot where) about dusts in lenses.. the guy just threw alot of stuff right into the front of lens (simulating as dust), but the picture looks complete unaffected.. so if you are bothered by that.. you will have to spend $ every 3-6 months at least, since dust gets in and out easily. esp if its a large lens.