Dust gets inside chassing of lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lingfoo

Mar 6, 2004
SG, Currently
Have any one encounter having dust getting under the chassing of the lens? I went to the desert in aus last week and took my camera out for a few shots... after than, I could hear a little bit of scratchy sound when I turn my lens' zoom ring...

anyone know how to remedy tis? :dunno: :dunno:

Thanks a bunch.

use a blower... if it does not work and the scratching bothers you, send it for servicing.

showtime said:
use a blower... if it does not work and the scratching bothers you, send it for servicing.

Pardon me cos I'm relatively new, how much does sending a lens for service cost? and where can you sent a lens for service?

Thanks a bunch... :D:D:D

lingfoo said:
Pardon me cos I'm relatively new, how much does sending a lens for service cost? and where can you sent a lens for service?

Thanks a bunch... :D:D:D

Depends on the brand and type of lens you are using, Nikon charge $70 for cleaning service for typical lens.

Charles said:
Depends on the brand and type of lens you are using, Nikon charge $70 for cleaning service for typical lens.

wow, tat's quite a bit for lens cleaning... how about a typical Canon EF Lens?

Now regretted a bit taking it out in the desert :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think you should def get it cleaned, everytime you turn the lens and hear the scratchy sound you're wearing out your lens, its like sand papering.

Anyone know where I can get it cleaned? I really really really have No Idea at all... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

sob sob sob... no more desert shots next time... :cry: :cry: :cry:

lingfoo said:
Anyone know where I can get it cleaned? I really really really have No Idea at all... :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

sob sob sob... no more desert shots next time... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Why don't you just give Canon a call and find out.

according to what i understood from last year, canon charges 60 (or was it 80?) per non-L lens, 120 per L lens. :)

not sure if that includes already GST or not...

Thanks for the number T :D M.

Yup, just called up, they quoted me 60... forgot to ask about the GST bit, thou I think it's not included.

Broke liao... :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was wandering, since photography equipment is so sensitive to dust particles and stuff, what does photographer do to protect their equipments (lens, body) while photographing in a dusty environment? (Take desert for example...)

tom_lim said:
canon services at 04-01, keppel bay towers..... take mrt to harbour front tel : 67998888. gd luck .......tOm

Been to really dusty and sandy places before, what I do is to keep the camera whenever I'm not using it. (ie don't walk ard with it in the open) And to maintain it every night when you return to your accomodation. That has kept my cameras and lenses in good condition.

Guess it also depends on the build quality of the lens/camera. For example the Nikkor 24-85 AFS is notorious for its ability to let dust in...:D

how about the Canon EF 28-105mm USM? tat's the lens I had dust in... just sent it for servicing today... sob sob...

lingfoo said:
I was wandering, since photography equipment is so sensitive to dust particles and stuff, what does photographer do to protect their equipments (lens, body) while photographing in a dusty environment? (Take desert for example...)

go L

:D

ok, go L with environmental seals! :D

HelmetBox said:

the quote is w/o gst..

then 28-105 is about 60 they told me... uqite ex hor..

HelmetBox said:

hehe... wanted to...

Anyone wanna sponsor me a 'L' lens?

If I get a L Lens... me GF's gonna start a REALLY BIG FUZZ dy...

Status
Not open for further replies.