Dusk

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer-c

Nov 15, 2008
3119574209_0ef4b5b64d_o.jpg

Hi all, this is my first time posting in this C&C subforum :). Below is the description of the image.

It was dusk and cloudy outside and I'm the only one in the house so I'm feeling a little lonely. So I snap a few pictures to try to capture the mood and this is the one I like best.

I decided to go with BW since I felt it captures the mood best. I choose to make the framing loose and the left side empty to show the emptiness of the room. That, along with the guitar silhouette and cloudy sky was hoped to convey the subdued mood.

Is there anything I can improve on? Composition, framing, exposure, technique, etc? Any c&c will help . Thanks :)

The sky looks uninteresting, and i don't get the mood. Given, you made the framing loose, but the left side of the picture is black and I can't see the emptiness of the room. You did make a right choice on doing B&W, I think it suits the mood best, though I don't agree with your choice of subjects. If you're the only one in the house and feeling lonely, shouldn't you be in the picture instead of the guitar? My idea of a lonely guitar is perhaps one that has collected dust and in a terrible state of disuse, not much one that looks out the window.

Just my two cents.^^

i don't see the emptiness of the room. i see more of the windows and sky instead.

nevertheless, good effort :)

You're feelign lonely, but you have dusk as the title, your shot was a silhouette - man; you're one confused guy! Hehehe

this is an abstract shot showing the lonely guitarist, if can exclude the eaves on the right hand side and turn the guitar a bit to show the six tuning peg.

The sky looks uninteresting, and i don't get the mood. Given, you made the framing loose, but the left side of the picture is black and I can't see the emptiness of the room. You did make a right choice on doing B&W, I think it suits the mood best, though I don't agree with your choice of subjects. If you're the only one in the house and feeling lonely, shouldn't you be in the picture instead of the guitar? My idea of a lonely guitar is perhaps one that has collected dust and in a terrible state of disuse, not much one that looks out the window.

Just my two cents.^^
I was trying to capture the cloudy sky, but it was so cloudy that all captured was only the grey-ish color of the cloud, not as dramatic as what it could be :confused:. Regarding the black room, that was supposed to bring the sense that it was dark and empty inside. Turns out it's difficult to pull of, eh. hehe. Regarding the guitar, I want to give the sense of loneliness through the guitar, but not 'one that has collected dust and in a terrible state of disuse' kind of lonely. Anyway, thanks for the c&c :)

i don't see the emptiness of the room. i see more of the windows and sky instead.

nevertheless, good effort
Hmm. What I was trying to pull of regarding the room is written in the above response, do you have any suggestion? Thanks :D

You're feelign lonely, but you have dusk as the title, your shot was a silhouette - man; you're one confused guy! Hehehe
Haha ;p

this is an abstract shot showing the lonely guitarist, if can exclude the eaves on the right hand side and turn the guitar a bit to show the six tuning peg.
Actually I tried to turn the guitar several times. Yes, I want to show the six tuning pegs but at the same time I don't want the guitar to be facing exactly 90' to the camera because then it felt really unnatural to me so this is among the better angles that I end up choosing. But I agree, I also kind of feel that there might be better angle for the guitar. Thanks :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.